The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2188 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2020, 04:34 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,765 Times in 2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Thank you!

Welp... typical IDJ here... I have this

https://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics.../dp/B002G1PBW8

and can't get the tool on either valve. Kinda like ol Tom Turkey there.

This makes no sense. It fits the valve it came with, but...

I was just going to see if it was loose, it leaks there so bad. Can't even do that.

I see where its like $200 or better for an evac and recharge, average per Google. Surely its not like a half hour more to replace the valve and whoever does it will have tool and valve. I mean technically for 200 I can go get a vac pump, gauges, and refrigerant but not even being able to do the first simple thing steers me toward bullet biting if I want air. I was hoping I could at least just replace the valve because I have one. Better quit while I'm "ahead".

Is it just too tight or the tool don't fit?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-25-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 04:37 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yes, my penis is back on, I am a man!

Brian

Thank Gawd.....phew...........I really didn't know what to think after hearing you mention you sold your welder and compressor....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (05-25-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:07 AM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 8,949 Times in 4,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Thank Gawd.....phew...........I really didn't know what to think after hearing you mention you sold your welder and compressor....
The two weeks of silence didn't help either....

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-25-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)

Old 05-25-2020, 08:38 AM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 7,028 Times in 3,966 Posts
Quote:
Is it just too tight or the tool don't fit?
Don't fit.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:24 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,718 Times in 3,129 Posts
Quote:
Don't fit.
Is your car 134a or still r12 ?
You've probably already answered all these next questions in previous posts, but it was too long ago for it to have stuck in the cob webs, so...
Have you jumped the low pressure switch plug, to see if the comp will kick in ?
If is does, you can bet it is just low and you could buy 1 can of refrigerant and the charging hose and charge it up, unless it is r12. R12 stuff would need to come from a source, other than a store...
About the Schrader valve. If the valve tool fits the valve, wrap it with a dense fabric and press it down hard, as you insert the tool to give it a quick twist, to snug up the valve. You won't lose much refrigerant and know the valve is tight. If there is no pressure, your next move would be to attempt to charge it and find the leak, or take it for service.
Sorry if any of this is redundant, just attempting to help diagnose/fix it so you can have A/C...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-25-2020), John long (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Is your car 134a or still r12 ?
You've probably already answered all these next questions in previous posts, but it was too long ago for it to have stuck in the cob webs, so...
Have you jumped the low pressure switch plug, to see if the comp will kick in ?
If is does, you can bet it is just low and you could buy 1 can of refrigerant and the charging hose and charge it up, unless it is r12. R12 stuff would need to come from a source, other than a store...
About the Schrader valve. If the valve tool fits the valve, wrap it with a dense fabric and press it down hard, as you insert the tool to give it a quick twist, to snug up the valve. You won't lose much refrigerant and know the valve is tight. If there is no pressure, your next move would be to attempt to charge it and find the leak, or take it for service.
Sorry if any of this is redundant, just attempting to help diagnose/fix it so you can have A/C...
Man, thanks. I am hesitant to type this much before noon but I appreciate your helpful attitude very much. Have not jumped the switch but am confident the compressor works, and it only costs a can of 134 (its a 1999 Grand Prix GT) to hear it work again. Comes right back out of the valve at about the rate that a roofing nail in a tire leaks. A new bubble pop every few seconds. If fully charged, it wouldn't have cold by the end of a week.

It has been that way since I got it, worse every year. It would hold for a season from 2009 to about 2017. Frequent usage stopped in July 2013. In '18 or 19, while Dad had it, I charged it up but it went away in a couple weeks. Used ACpro cans with gauge to do it each time.The leak may not be the only one by now but it is gigantic at this point. Its obviously the problem. No pressure, no compressor. Under 37 degrees outside, no compressor.

I put a can with gauge on it yesterday that may have had a splash left in it. When triggered, gauge on can drops to under 5 PSI. Which is less than what the can had. So I got to see some new, fast bubbles (leak at valve) but to reach the pressure needed to kick on the compressor I'd need to waste a new can. In my mind, that the compressor works is considered confirmed knowing the history.

Specifically about the tool provided... the OD of the tool is too large. It will not go deep enough into the fitting to engage the valve. Different sizes exist but my assumption is that these 134 fittings and the tools are fairly standardized. What is it, 16 and 19mm high and low side? Something like that.

I could probably grind down the tool and get it in there but in light of the circumstances I view that as what I like to call an exercise in futility. In other words...

A waste of my time and yours.

Just wait. If I get the GTP going, having fixed the air on the GT becomes a "so what?" and the GTP's sudden catastrophic self destruction of the A/C system will merit discussion. It will take an act of congress to get A/C back on it. The diode in the fuse box looks to have caught fire, for one thing. Thats another reason its tough to pull the trigger on the trans rebuild. Broken compressor strapped to subframe that trans shop will have to deal with is part of that. Another is the grease mess on the trans from the engine mount fail. I wouldn't ask anyone to deal with that.

So before trans shop, and today is really my only opportunity, I need to limp the GTP into the garage, get her way up in the air and get under it and comfortable for a long nasty task, and try to clean it up down there best I can, and also ponder an alternate way to support the unbolted but not disconnected (same boat but have no hobby way to recover the charge thats in it) compressor while they drop the subframe.

By the way, just did that 00-03 Sierra research. Also no. Too much value, too thirsty. Still can't have a truck. I better just go clean and maintain the testicle holder in the GT in preparation for another decade of service. It is whisper quiet now. Walk up to it and can't tell if its running quiet.

With a welder I could fix that. But for now I'll have to be satisfied with my vagenis hanging by a thread. I was able to air up my plugged tire on-site at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Strange. I'm using a standard tool for my AC valves, one that fits any other valve be it a tire or bicycle tube.
I see no reason not to grind away....I mean, it's only a valve tool.
idrivejunk (05-25-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 03:44 PM

I had a sit on my butt and recover day from getting sunburned over 16 hours of yard work yesterday.

My 01 2500hd radiator is leaking at the typical plastic radiator neck.

After a bit of research I ordered an all aluminum radiator from Radiator express(at twice the price of the plastic sided ones) that will be a perfect replacement and eliminate the neck cracking again.

Before the plastic Y fitting on the heater hose/overflow tank hose cracks which is also a common failure point. I went onto ebay and ordered a Dorman 626-538 which replaces the plastic with aluminum and has new hoses and clamps.

I always look to eliminate weak points when replacing parts. It may cost more up front. But It is cheaper then a out of state tow bill or potential engine damage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-25-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 03:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,272 Times in 4,537 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, when my moved I downsized big time. I just figured that welder had a problem that was about $300 to fix, the compressor was pretty old and kinda funky and noisy as hell. So I figured I would get new. I finally have, hope to get back to things soon. I have to say, working in a garage attached to the house is a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING that's for sure! Any noise, odors, wow, I don't what my house to be a body shop, you know what I mean?

Anyway, I am on my way to getting back to working on the truck. Still a little go do, need to have a 30 amp breaker added for my welder and need to make a "quiet box" for the compressor. Got some things today for that, going out there right now to see what I can do.

Brian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-25-2020), Gearhead Poppa (05-25-2020), John long (05-25-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 04:22 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yeah, when my moved I downsized big time. I just figured that welder had a problem that was about $300 to fix, the compressor was pretty old and kinda funky and noisy as hell. So I figured I would get new. I finally have, hope to get back to things soon. I have to say, working in a garage attached to the house is a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING that's for sure! Any noise, odors, wow, I don't what my house to be a body shop, you know what I mean?

Anyway, I am on my way to getting back to working on the truck. Still a little go do, need to have a 30 amp breaker added for my welder and need to make a "quiet box" for the compressor. Got some things today for that, going out there right now to see what I can do.

Brian

I guess I've got it wrong....I've been trying to bottle my "garage smell" and bring it in the house all these years....
adantessr (05-29-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Strange. I'm using a standard tool for my AC valves, one that fits any other valve be it a tire or bicycle tube.
I see no reason not to grind away....I mean, it's only a valve tool.
Thanks for the prod, I have air now.

I was headed out to get the GTP up and do that instead but saw your post and figured five minutes what they hey. Car fixing work part of day is done now though.

Messed with the valve, just threading it in and out a little. Looked like no more bubbles so I put a can in. Pressure had been just shy of kicking compressor on. Still no bubbles. It only would take a little of the second can. Probably got 22 or 4 oz on it. Its not spectacular but its air. For now. She needs tune up parts something fierce but for a four days with none of them garage time free IDJ weekend, theres sufficient missions accomplished. If theres time I may blow out the CAF too.

I need to get cracking here and mount up the window unit in the bedroom. Its a lot of racket to sleep by but beats sweating. It has been remarkably peaceful and mild of late, and I'll miss that.

But now what kind of world is it in which a valve core tool must be machined to fit? Thats bunk as hell. If you can't make that, what can you make? It was too fat to get past the threads in the stem. Had to take an old wheel out into daylight for close examination and fitting of tool. But it was an excuse to clamp up ye olde hand crank bench grinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200525_171146.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	455377  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-25-2020), adantessr (05-29-2020), Gearhead Poppa (05-25-2020), John long (05-25-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 04:46 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

That's wild that not even a valve tool is correct.
Good job on the AC,
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:14 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
That's wild that not even a valve tool is correct.
Good job on the AC,
Too wild. Just glad it wasn't me. I assumed it was.

Got the window unit up, too.

So is the meanold Chevy back on the ground, ripping asphalt now and what-not?

I thought I'd go for broke and reconnect GT sunroof motor too. Fail! Don't close at all anymore. Had to drop the motor to reposition roof panel. I was reminded why I unhooked it.

Theres room for a Grapeout just before dark if I scoot now.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:39 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Quote:
Too wild. Just glad it wasn't me. I assumed it was.

Got the window unit up, too.

So is the meanold Chevy back on the ground, ripping asphalt now and what-not?

I thought I'd go for broke and reconnect GT sunroof motor too. Fail! Don't close at all anymore. Had to drop the motor to reposition roof panel. I was reminded why I unhooked it.

Theres room for a Grapeout just before dark if I scoot now.

Yep. Just got back from a wee snort. My AC is fine after a top up as well. I stomped the pedal the other day after drive-line upgrades and it just crouched down on the back, grabbed and went, not even a fizzle of burn out. The 275's are pretty wide and grab well.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
adantessr (05-29-2020), Gearhead Poppa (05-25-2020), idrivejunk (05-25-2020), John long (05-25-2020), Rip VW (05-26-2020), Too Many Projects (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 PM
Grand Prix user

Xlnt! 275s are perfect, too. Glad you got that like you like. What was with the driveshaft, just Pugsy stuff?

Me and Grape found ourselves in a downpour just now. Wipers on high and slow down kind. Sorry, Grape. Its still raining cats and dogs, gee whiz. No water around the window AC though, that was a good test.

Back to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (05-26-2020)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« How cool is this | - »