The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2217 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2020, 02:54 PM
Slow but willing learner

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 8,930 Times in 4,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
NOPE! I'm not "driving" a motorcycle. If I can't lean it into the curve and roll the throttle on coming out, I don't want it.

I want to ride my bike not drive it

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
1GH (06-30-2020), cozwurth (06-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 03:39 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
NOPE! I'm not "driving" a motorcycle. If I can't lean it into the curve and roll the throttle on coming out, I don't want it.

I want to ride my bike not drive it

John
You can lean over and roll the throttle on, bike isn't going to care...

You should rent one for a few days. You can whine all you want about riding versus driving, but I'd BET MONEY you would love it and want one. After all, it's STILL a Harley and the wind is in your hair...well, maybe not in YOUR hair, but you know what I mean...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-30-2020), John long (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I had to pull an executive order today. I told the gal in my office she may not see me in the morning. Six dozen leeches in the fridge and I'm about to hook the boat up.
Six DOZEN leeches...are you going for 2 weeks ???

Old 06-30-2020, 04:11 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,743 Times in 2,646 Posts
Quote:
Six DOZEN leeches...are you going for 2 weeks ???

Nope, just one morning.

Planning on getting lots of hits to pay back for the last two years of nothingness.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:10 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,930 Times in 4,409 Posts
Quote:
You can lean over and roll the throttle on, bike isn't going to care...

You should rent one for a few days. You can whine all you want about riding versus driving, but I'd BET MONEY you would love it and want one. After all, it's STILL a Harley and the wind is in your hair...well, maybe not in YOUR hair, but you know what I mean...
Now aren't you ashamed of yourself? Sometimes you guys forget how sensitive I am.

John
Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Now aren't you ashamed of yourself? Sometimes you guys forget how sensitive I am.

John
NOPE......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
Dave57210 (06-30-2020), John long (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 07:53 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,735 Posts
I got some work done today,went over my 6 minutes

Got 1 of my pallet racks put up 2 more to go i have this one about full already,i have a 454 and another 350,and 2 more 4 speeds to go on the bottom..and all the chrome and trim for my 55 to go on top ,,middle rack is for hot rod stull.

i will put the other 2 racks in the rear for all my upholstrey material and machine one one ,,and boxes of recieved parts waiting on installation on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	456651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	456653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	456655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	456657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	456659  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	456663  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-01-2020), Gearhead Poppa (07-01-2020), idrivejunk (06-30-2020), Too Many Projects (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:20 PM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look

Thanked 6,990 Times in 3,951 Posts
Quote:
Boy do I miss my bike.
Dad sure wishes he still had his XA. Did uh... ... those even have batteries, I wonder?

I don't understand that "...happy life" expression occasionally used here but replacing a decade old battery before the incident seems a pfft price to pay. When you consider the outcome.

Now if it's just you, thats another matter entire. Chicks dig adventure but not that kind. Even I know that! Some of them do dig men in blue, too. You don't want to test that on a breakdown day.

Ten years on a battery is bragworthy though. So I'll be sure to throw in mine. I have gotten 6 or 7 years out of 3 or 4 I can recall. But Old Nell had one reman go 11. Toss that under the "as recalled" heading as well. One thing you can be sure of is that the IDJ doctrine calls for frequent usage, in the quest for long life in all things automotive. As a champion of neglect, I am living testament.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:29 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Nope, just one morning.

Planning on getting lots of hits to pay back for the last two years of nothingness.
Yer gonna wet a line finally? Get down, Cooter Brown! Have a good safe go, and enjoy the boat time. Ah

LUCK!
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Grand Prix user

Ten miles to go, Mitch. 22.6 MPG too. Looking forward to cake then a four dayer here. Not that I plan to, but the thought occurred this week that I might have something now I can trust further than 20 miles at a time.

OH! I was just reminded... at bedtime on a weeknight... neighborhood fireworks addicts.

Its my favorite time of year but I never really have enjoyed plucking spent bottle rockets off my paint. It is unwise to complain unarmed about that to drunks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-01-2020), Too Many Projects (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:43 PM
True Hotrodder

Yesterday was a bit of bust. Went to the city to do a bit of pay work and got started on things but found that there was a few more problems than originally thought. I was hired to replace the trim around a garage door that had rotted out along with a piece on a front window. I was also replacing the treated top rails on a small 10x12 deck and steps. Yesterday when I was cutting out the bad the brick molding trim I realized that it covered up additional rot on a good part of the door framing. So I cut that out along with the front window piece, then had to journey to the supply store to get a piece of wood. Then it was all the way back to my house to custom make the replacement wood pieces. That took a bit but I had a lot of experience on a 60+ year old house a couple years ago making replacement bits of trim. By the time I got that finished there was little point in going back to the work site. So today it was back to the work but it was also quite a bit hotter than yesterday. In the sun, the temperature was about 92-94. Age has me at a point that being in those conditions for any length of time gets very rough. I tend to dehydrate badly which leads to additional issues which are not exactly a lot of fun. But between cooling off in the truck multiple times and trying to take advantage of what shade I could get, I got everything repaired or replaced. The final step of painting the trim to match (2 colors) just about finished me off but I got through it. The worse part of today was the severe hand cramps that I suffered after getting home. My left was especially bad and extremely painful. But the best part of today was getting a text message from the client telling me that I do excellent work - people don't tend to do that very much anymore and I really appreciated it. Tomorrow's another day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chasracer For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (07-01-2020), Gearhead Poppa (07-01-2020), Too Many Projects (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:36 PM

I hear ya on the heat and humidity. We were in the low 90's and after 2 days of over 7 inches of rain, the humidity was off the charts. I was sweating standing still in my storage locker oven this morning. No wind to move the air and climbing up pallet racking to bring home car parts... And yeah, I'm getting a little old to be climbing on pallet racking. Maybe next time, I'll remember to bring a ladder...
Old 06-30-2020, 10:47 PM
I will endevour to persevere

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

Thanked 1,134 Times in 622 Posts
Today I played electrical gremlin chaser in my Van. 2008 Ford Econoline. I went out to go somewhere the other day and the battery was dead. I figured it had been setting about 10 days so no worries I charge the Battery and thought what the heck I have errands to run so all is fine for 2 days then day before yesterday went to start the van and dead again and that was 2 days from the last charge. I check out the battery and remembered I replaced the OEM battery at 8 years but cheeped out and bought a "Budget Battery" and I am now paying for it. I took the "Budget Battery" down to the local Auto Parts. I had recharged the battery but they said it had an internal short.

A New Battery and I am not satisfied that was the total problem. I come home and threw a miliamp meter on the system and was getting about 350~425 ma leakage after everything was turned off and settled out. I check my ford Factory manual and found a reference to 50 to 80 Milli Amps should be the stock allowable limit on leakage with no non factory accessories. I was getting 350 to 425 ma after everything cycled off.

I proceed to take the engine doghouse off so I can reach the stereo connector and pull that, No change, I pulled the system plugs I was suspicious of like Stereo,Wheelchair Lift circuitry, causing the parasitic drain. After cycling the systems 1 by 1 there was no change. I go to put the doghouse back on and plug the systems back in. I get the interior back together and go to check the leakage again and Lo and behold it was at 63 ma. well within the spec now. I don't have a clue what happend to make it heal itself. I spent a couple more hours checking harnesses and plugs and shaking rattling and rolling about the electrical system their to get it to fail again. No such luck. all is within spec. I hate intermittent problems, they always seem to hit just when you don't need them to show up. So for the next few days I am on Gremlin watch.... I am not concerned about a dead battery as I have my wheelchair on board when I drive or ride in my Van. My secret weapon is a 12 vdc heavy duty port on the back of my power chair. My wheelchair uses 2 12 vdc batteries and I have a pigtail across 1 battery to power my lift via the port in an emergency. I just connect the chair to the lift and bam I am on a 100 amp line straight to the battery. Plug in the coard and I am charging the van bat enough to start the van. I have used the function a couple of times when I forgot to kill the lights. Its awesome.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rip VW For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-01-2020), chasracer (07-01-2020), cozwurth (07-01-2020), Gearhead Poppa (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:27 AM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
Theres a mailbox like that a few blocks from my home. It is near the end of a sidewalk but obstructs the entire width of it. A pedestrian must step into the traffic lane in a bad spot to get past it. Like Brian's, it may seem odd but is likely in compliance with applicable ordinances. I've lived here long enough to know how the nearby counter-intuitive mailbox placement came to be. But let's see if the loving collective has the answer.

To answer your question, yes.
Street improvements. Thats how. Nobody came up with it.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:53 AM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
Yesterday was a bit of bust. Went to the city to do a bit of pay work and got started on things but found that there was a few more problems than originally thought. I was hired to replace the trim around a garage door that had rotted out along with a piece on a front window. I was also replacing the treated top rails on a small 10x12 deck and steps. Yesterday when I was cutting out the bad the brick molding trim I realized that it covered up additional rot on a good part of the door framing. So I cut that out along with the front window piece, then had to journey to the supply store to get a piece of wood. Then it was all the way back to my house to custom make the replacement wood pieces. That took a bit but I had a lot of experience on a 60+ year old house a couple years ago making replacement bits of trim. By the time I got that finished there was little point in going back to the work site. So today it was back to the work but it was also quite a bit hotter than yesterday. In the sun, the temperature was about 92-94. Age has me at a point that being in those conditions for any length of time gets very rough. I tend to dehydrate badly which leads to additional issues which are not exactly a lot of fun. But between cooling off in the truck multiple times and trying to take advantage of what shade I could get, I got everything repaired or replaced. The final step of painting the trim to match (2 colors) just about finished me off but I got through it. The worse part of today was the severe hand cramps that I suffered after getting home. My left was especially bad and extremely painful. But the best part of today was getting a text message from the client telling me that I do excellent work - people don't tend to do that very much anymore and I really appreciated it. Tomorrow's another day.

My left picks random times and bites. Feels like a dart was thrown into below the thumb and I may drop whatever I'm holding. Thats the good hand! Hand problems are very scary to me. Take good care of and pace yourself. I have to work the day and drive home an hour in direct sun on my right half before I get to start feeling A/C. Can't tell you how many times I'll check the seat heater switch because it feels like it must be on. The shop has air but only for super hot times and it gets set at 80 something which is still sweaty.

Drink your water, everybody!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
chasracer (07-01-2020), Gearhead Poppa (07-01-2020), Too Many Projects (07-01-2020)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in