The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 2225 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Grand Prix user

Last journal entry: Last look
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
No track yet. I didn't get the PCM tuned. Need to do a bunch of cruising and logging and flashing along the way. Also, feeling kinda down with the state of affairs currently. Especially checking into what's going on down your guy's way. Just not in the mood to do much of anything.

Working on a wire edge for the inside edges of the fenders of the rod. I had a couple ares that were buckled in. I had hammered and dollied them out years back, but I still don't trust the repaired areas.

Backspaced three attempts at a benign response to the "down your way" part. Skipping it.

I wouldn't worry about the rod thing on the 51F1 rear fenders. Aside from fit which is still unknown, they seem OE quality. The fronts may require reinforcement just to hold still. I know the mainstream rodder drill... fullblown professional bedliner spray, inside single layered fenders. But if I am adding rod or something it only makes sense to me to provide mount tabs for a liner while I am right there doing that.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-12-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 02:02 PM
Grand Prix user

LOL at self Lounging here and reading about the variety of significant hindrances being had across the board, and feeling helpless to assist... It occurs to me that I already found my solutions to most of these issues. Just filed them under lessons learned.

Choose projects carefully or like what you buy like it is.

Re-plating things is out, permanently. There was never a time when that was within my reach

Refinishing using pro paint products is also out of the question, for keeps.

Annoying presence and entanglement of electronic body features on twenty year old heaps can be sidestepped. Throw the remote away, defeat the chime and live happier. The devices at the ends of the wires don't care if theres some fancy control unit, so wire and switch troublesome items like its twenty years more old but with stuff you can get now. Getting up to change channels never killed anyone.

Can't run your hot V8 without a couple special computers? Stick to carbs and tune in the pits. Theres no big penalty in using a carb if you are a man.

Be realistic about your needs, ditch the status quest. Cars and stuff changed, and car guys who still want to feel like one are out on their ear. Its not a tough pattern to spot but its going to be tough to row against and in any event, you pay the ferry man or swim across with what you can carry.

Its plain as the nose on your face. To move forward with a hobby car project, there is no more such thing as DIY and save. You have to force every step of the way with an ample supply of dollars and infinite patience, and "ample" means a stack so high it could beat up a life's savings and swipe it like some punk's lunch money.

Again, scale is the most elusive part of understanding. Tough love from IDJ.

Last edited by idrivejunk; 07-12-2020 at 02:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:47 PM

Last journal entry: Vinyl top carnage...

Thanked 1,066 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwurth View Post
Troubleshooting on the van is underway. One common theme to the dead systems is a brain-box called an 'Integration Relay' or 'Computer Multiplex Network Body', depending on where you look. If it is that part that's dead, it is unavailable from Toyota, and I have not seen any listing for it in the aftermarket. I have found one used, but will not order it until I'm sure of what is wrong. The power windows, power sunroof, power locks and interior dome lights all pass through this brain(dead?)-box. Of those, the power locks and the interior dome lights are dead. I think the key lock in the driver door is supposed to actuate the power locks on all doors, but it does not happen. All of the fuses labeled for those systems are good and have power. I have one 7.5A fuse labeled "panel" that is good, but has no power. The only wiring diagrams that I have access to at the moment is a Chiltons manual. Fun stuff. I just LOVE electrical work...
Digging through the wiring diagrams I found that the key switches in both doors is supposed to trigger the power locks lock/unlock all of the locks. That 'aint happening. It is looking more like the brain-box is the culprit here. That is the only point of overlap between the two systems, other than a fuse or two, and they both dropped out at the same time. I'm planning on finding it, pulling it and checking for voltage at the terminals fed by the lighting and power lock systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Where does the power for the brain come from ? Think 60's gm, with the power wire terminal behind the battery that powered the entire interior from the voltage regulator, or a wire directly from the alternator. Maybe you have a corrosion issue or broken wire from wiggling all these years.
From what I can tell, the brain(dead) box gets its power from several sources - the 10A Dome light fuse, the 10A gauge fuse, and the 20A Door fuse. All of these fuses are good and have power. I have not put my mitts on this box yet, but I know I'm close to it. It is supposed to reside behind the interior fuse panel, which I have removed the panels to expose. There is a single wire on the battery terminal that feeds into the fuse panel for the entire vehicle. If that goes, the whole thing goes.

Last edited by cozwurth; 07-12-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:49 PM
Grand Prix user

On the less preachy side of things... wow, what an incredible light show in the sky last night through the windshield. Only a sprinkle of rain fell at my place but the drastic temp and speed diffs in gusts and minute long thunders with crossways multiple bolts were some indication that it was serious. By the time I was ready to rip 455, it was dark but the front was past me. Hardly another vehicle on the road but man there was a big doe just standing broadside next to it, also watching the show. It was magnificent. Grape enjoyed the big boomy sky noises and flashy sparky thingys, reminded her of herself.

I heard Charlie Daniels passed recently (RIP) and just took to opportunity to dig up the ticket stub from the first concert I ever went to ( also the first day I tried grass. Riding in a Tempest. ). July 16, 1980. Kansas Coliseum. They let me in with the 2 liter A&W I brought for cottonmouth. Be forty years ago this week. That was a good old boy.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:02 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Digging through the wiring diagrams I found that the key switches in both doors is supposed to trigger the power locks lock/unlock all of the locks. That 'aint happening. It is looking more like the brain-box is the culprit here. That is the only point of overlap between the two systems, other than a fuse or two, and they both dropped out at the same time. I'm planning on finding it, pulling it and checking for voltage at the terminals fed by the lighting and power lock systems.

From what I can tell, the brain(dead) box gets its power from several sources - the 10A Dome light fuse, the 10A gauge fuse, and the 20A Door fuse. All of these fuses are good and have power. I have not put my mitts on this box yet, but I know I'm close to it. It is supposed to reside behind the interior fuse panel, which I have removed the panels to expose. There is a single wire on the battery terminal that feeds into the fuse panel for the entire vehicle. If that goes, the whole thing goes.
Could a modern aftermarket alarm install potentially restore the functions?
Old 07-12-2020, 03:38 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 9,045 Times in 4,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
On the less preachy side of things... wow, what an incredible light show in the sky last night through the windshield. Only a sprinkle of rain fell at my place but the drastic temp and speed diffs in gusts and minute long thunders with crossways multiple bolts were some indication that it was serious. By the time I was ready to rip 455, it was dark but the front was past me. Hardly another vehicle on the road but man there was a big doe just standing broadside next to it, also watching the show. It was magnificent. Grape enjoyed the big boomy sky noises and flashy sparky thingys, reminded her of herself.

I heard Charlie Daniels passed recently (RIP) and just took to opportunity to dig up the ticket stub from the first concert I ever went to ( also the first day I tried grass. Riding in a Tempest. ). July 16, 1980. Kansas Coliseum. They let me in with the 2 liter A&W I brought for cottonmouth. Be forty years ago this week. That was a good old boy.
Odd that you mentioned the deer and light show.

The sunset was taken from my porch swing last week and we watched this little spike buck graze in our back yard for about 30 minutes yesterday morning.

John

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-12-2020), cozwurth (07-12-2020), idrivejunk (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

By the way guys, Mr Frugal here has a new Iphone. Now what do you have to say about that!

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-12-2020), adantessr (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:00 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Odd that you mentioned the deer and light show.

The sunset was taken from my porch swing last week and we watched this little spike buck graze in our back yard for about 30 minutes yesterday morning.

John

That is a fairly spectacular sunset specimen! You reckon your proximity to the ocean, as compared to mine, has some bearing on the shows you get out there? Pretty ones we get are rarely as firey looking as ones you post. Vantage point plays a part, I am sure. You appear to be on a hill and have a nice hole in the treetops there. I feel sorry for my folks, at their place the west view is obscured.

Clouds always make sunsets more dramatic. Being a Kansas kid, clear sky and a flat horizon was the norm. What I have always enjoyed beholding the most is the perfect interpolation, the smoothness of transition between colors. Around the grand, firey spectacle. Only pixel-free nature can show that.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Grand Prix user

Quote:
By the way guys, Mr Frugal here has a new Iphone. Now what do you have to say about that!

John
Missed a good chance to go Android.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
John long (07-12-2020), Too Many Projects (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:28 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejunk View Post
That is a fairly spectacular sunset specimen! You reckon your proximity to the ocean, as compared to mine, has some bearing on the shows you get out there? Pretty ones we get are rarely as firey looking as ones you post. Vantage point plays a part, I am sure. You appear to be on a hill and have a nice hole in the treetops there. I feel sorry for my folks, at their place the west view is obscured.

Clouds always make sunsets more dramatic. Being a Kansas kid, clear sky and a flat horizon was the norm. What I have always enjoyed beholding the most is the perfect interpolation, the smoothness of transition between colors. Around the grand, firey spectacle. Only pixel-free nature can show that.
You are exactly correct. I am on a hill and there is a break in the trees that lets me see Signal Mountain in the distance. What are the odds that the sun would set in that exact location from early June through the early September. That was a totally unexpected perk when we bought this house.

We added the screened porch on the back of the house around '07 when the economy was so slow. I had a contractor friend tell me he would do it at cost in order to keep his crew who were about to leave and start looking for work. I'm out here now....82 degrees with nice breeze.

We have really enjoyed it too.

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (07-12-2020), idrivejunk (07-12-2020), Too Many Projects (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:49 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,757 Posts
Quote:

Im sure the first thing you looked at was to make sure the ,Child Security Lock was not turned on, ?????
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 04:53 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,757 Posts
Quote:

Im Sure you checked the Child Security Lock,,to be sure it was not turned on,,

Been there ,done that,Got a Tee Shirt...lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
cozwurth (07-12-2020), idrivejunk (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:32 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,711 Posts
Quote:

John

Holy Shmokes is what I gotta say......they must of been giving a good plan with that free phone.....ha......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (07-12-2020), idrivejunk (07-12-2020), Too Many Projects (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:37 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,711 Posts
Computer and PCM tuning is driving me bonkers today so I gave up and tacked my little wire bead in place.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	457083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	457085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1674.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	457087  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Gearhead Poppa (07-12-2020), idrivejunk (07-12-2020), Too Many Projects (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:39 PM
Grand Prix user

Happy to report what looked to me to be like 95% mask wearers at the grocery store. Went to the one out by the interstate rather than the old usual, though. That one serves a sizeable nearby Pacific Islander community.

Our city has the poultry plants whose staff are the 20% causing 80% of the numbers. Neighboring cities have mask ordinances now. Our mayor sees no way enforce one.

Just a blurb there, not so much a conversation post. Because "it" is having a field day here now. It sucks you can't cast a smile at a looker but is a more-needed relief to see almost everyone using face coverings. Over their noses, too. Because frankly I had seen about half at best, up to this point.

Unfortunately, I exist in a current hotspot. I just want to wish that your communities keep it down and leave it at that.

Grape sure does fire right up cold, in this warm weather. Humidity in the 30s today, ah!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idrivejunk For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-12-2020), 496CHEVY3100 (07-12-2020), cozwurth (07-12-2020), Too Many Projects (07-12-2020)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »