The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 413 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Are they looking for a way to avoid paying holiday pay for Christmas and New Years ?? Lay everyone off for 10 days so you don't qualify ??
holiday pay? Now that's funny. Day wasn't entirely bad. I got my new DeWalt goggles and my power supply for my Apple. It started right up so that's good.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,261 Times in 4,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Thanhs ,I looked at Home depot they have a 5 hp 80 gal for 700 and change
'the cast iron 7/1/2 is just over1800 just for the pump,i don't think I will need that ,I don't sand blast anymore exept for my glass bead cabinent
I have a spare 7.1/2 pump that needs rings ,it pumps oil and gets in paint.i will probably rebuild it later ,I just need something for now ,
Be careful David. I believe the 5 horse one os a single stage pump. If it is you don't want that.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The cool thing is they aren't "proud". It doesn't pile up like the MIG. And yes even then, it grinds very easy, NOTHING like a MIG weld.

Brian
maybe I'll get one for my garage journey since I can't afford a Tig. I imagine they're cheap now.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:48 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Be careful David. I believe the 5 horse one os a single stage pump. If it is you don't want that.

John
Thanks John I forgot to look at that ,it could be I am just use to having the big compressor,,the one I buy I will just tie into the lines at the tank it will run thru my dryers and regulators with all the piping and down spout drains I don't want to loose that,then when I get my other one rebuilt can use either and have extra storage capacity.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 PM

For any one who is 50 or older this is a must see,this is a local guy who made it BIG

GearJam,Drags,Burnouts,Hubert Platt,swapmeet Episode I can just click this

http://www.autorestomods.com
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 PM

http://www.comautorestmods.com Gear Jam ,Drags,Burnouts,Hubert Platt,swapmeet Tips Episode

Don't know what the problem is I can click and it will pull it up ,but if I try to pull from this post it will not work ,just type in starting with Gear Jam
Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,279 Posts
496 just to confirm that 5hp pump from HF is a single stage pump. Creigs list?
Here's a three phase compressor that ought to have a size able pump on it for $300. Swap motors and it might get you by. It's three phase , nobody will want it. Should come cheap.

BB

3 Phase Air Compressor
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
496 just to confirm that 5hp pump from HF is a single stage pump. Creigs list?
Here's a three phase compressor that ought to have a size able pump on it for $300. Swap motors and it might get you by. It's three phase , nobody will want it. Should come cheap.

BB

3 Phase Air Compressor

Thanks a lot BB that is only obout 30 minutes away from me,it has the pressurized oil line on the end so it is like mine ,I think it might be a hp judjing from the size but it should work ,just set the pump on my tank save ne some $$$ Mine is 100 gal I will check it tomorrow since it is 10.40 out here lol Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Thanks a lot BB that is only obout 30 minutes away from me,it has the pressurized oil line on the end so it is like mine ,I think it might be a hp judjing from the size but it should work ,just set the pump on my tank save ne some $$$ Mine is 100 gal I will check it tomorrow since it is 10.40 out here lol Thanks again.
Hope it works out. That tank looks like a 60 or possibly a 80 gal tank.

BB
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Hope it works out. That tank looks like a 60 or possibly a 80 gal tank.

BB
Did you try the video ,I must have a problem.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,971 Times in 4,425 Posts
Quote:
I agree with Brian on this one O/A welds grind very easily compared to a MIG. Also, a MIG will supply filler material whether or not you want it. You end up with much more build up to deal with. With O/A you only add filler material if/or when you need it. As Brian is teaching, the better you get the less filler rod you need and if you get to the point where you can fusion weld there is no build up.

The biggest challenge for me with fusion welding is you must have a perfect fit between the panels. As you heat the metal to fusing temperature the heated metal has no where to go as it expands so the molecules are compressed together. Once the metal is heated to the point that they melt together (fuse) and the panel begins to cool those panels contract and the piece shrinks. If this shrinkage is not controlled by planishing two things will happen.

First, the weld will try to contract and will suck the welded area in causing some ugly distortion.

Secondly as the already closely fitted panels are pulled together the areas that are not yet welded will be pulled into an overlapping position that is extremely hard to deal with.

I am not negative when it comes to O/A welding. I am, however, pointing out that O/A welding requires a good deal of skill, lots of practice and a good understanding of what the metal is doing and why. Planishing and working the metal as you weld is just as much a part of this skill as the use of the torch itself.

I have really enjoyed watching Brian working his roof. It brings back a lot of good memories as well as some good tips and tricks he is discovering. I am not, however interested in selling my MIG. I do not want to fire up my torch to weld this 46" door skin with limited access to the back side.

Wow! Not good. Hope Santa gets you what you need. Don't let that Chevy get wet.

John
I am most certainly not giving up on the MIG and in fact use both, the MIG on the thicker metal of the posts for instance.

So far, I am feeling pretty good. What I think may be going on is like the first door skin I ever did, I had been in the business about 5 years and I did one and it was a disaster! Filler all the way around, I don't know what the hell happened but I got gun shy big time. About 10 years later I did my next one and it was absolutely perfect and the next pile of them by a large margin after that were filler free. I don't know what held me back but along the way I learned to see it different, this is like that I guess. It's MILES from perfect that's for sure. But I am seriously liking the small build up compared to the MIG. I am thinking it will soon take me much less time to do it than to MIG.

Brian
Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
maybe I'll get one for my garage journey since I can't afford a Tig. I imagine they're cheap now.
It is very affordable, and let's face it having a torch around for heating rusty bolts or rough cutting and what not is good anyway so it's not like most every body shop doesn't have one stuck over in the corner anyway. We have one at work right next to a $30K spot welder and 6 MIGS.

Brian
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,261 Times in 4,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am most certainly not giving up on the MIG and in fact use both, the MIG on the thicker metal of the posts for instance.

So far, I am feeling pretty good. What I think may be going on is like the first door skin I ever did, I had been in the business about 5 years and I did one and it was a disaster! Filler all the way around, I don't know what the hell happened but I got gun shy big time. About 10 years later I did my next one and it was absolutely perfect and the next pile of them by a large margin after that were filler free. I don't know what held me back but along the way I learned to see it different, this is like that I guess. It's MILES from perfect that's for sure. But I am seriously liking the small build up compared to the MIG. I am thinking it will soon take me much less time to do it than to MIG.

Brian
I can believe you will get there. After all these years you have learned to anticipate what the metal is going to do and how to work the metal to counteract the shrinkage. One of the things that always bothers me is the amount of time I spend lighting the torch over and over or how long it sits on a stand just burning gas while I planish the HAZ.

Another plus with the torch is on a high crown panel and many other applications you can actually make the shrinkage work to your advantage. It is the very flat panels like a hood or a long flat quarter panel, or half door skin that require sooo much skill to do.

Now bear in mind, I have never tried to fusion weld non stop from one end to the other. I can not address that process but my "you know whats" are probably not big enough that I am going to try it either....at least not on a 46 inch long door skin seam.

I really do hate the excess grinding that comes from a MIG. That is for sure.

Let me make sure that everyone reading this understands that I think you are doing a great job and I am really impressed by your methods and results. I am merely pointing out what makes the torch so challenging for the novice.

John
Old 12-19-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I can believe you will get there. After all these years you have learned to anticipate what the metal is going to do and how to work the metal to counteract the shrinkage. One of the things that always bothers me is the amount of time I spend lighting the torch over and over or how long it sits on a stand just burning gas while I planish the HAZ.

Another plus with the torch is on a high crown panel and many other applications you can actually make the shrinkage work to your advantage. It is the very flat panels like a hood or a long flat quarter panel, or half door skin that require sooo much skill to do.

Now bear in mind, I have never tried to fusion weld non stop from one end to the other. I can not address that process but my "you know whats" are probably not big enough that I am going to try it either....at least not on a 46 inch long door skin seam.

I really do hate the excess grinding that comes from a MIG. That is for sure.

Let me make sure that everyone reading this understands that I think you are doing a great job and I am really impressed by your methods and results. I am merely pointing out what makes the torch so challenging for the novice.

John
I'm with you John, and I am hesitant as hell to weld across this seam believe me. I was just out there seeing if I could plannish some of the gaps a little tighter. I do need to add some tacks too. But I am going to go for it, it makes sense even with the larger panel. We will see, we will see. Can't be any worse than I have done or seen that's for sure! One of the things that is giving me fits is not having a perfectly straight welding rod. This balled up .023 wire SUCKS as you can't keep a steady beat. I am going to try to do something, not sure what but try to straighten it out, any suggestions?

Brian
Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 PM

I went out and just played tonight. I am still tossing around the idea of enlarging the rear window.

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (12-20-2013)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in