The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 419 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Wiki Edits: 0

I need to thank John Long for the advice on rolling primer. I finally had time to do my floor and toe boards today.
I couldn't be happier. I may never spray primer again. I am always sanding to fix something or getting paint on past my time window. I think it layed better than spraying it for myself.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigK For This Useful Post:
John long (12-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
If I remember correctly, the convertibles have something like 12 gauge rockers that provide a lot of rigidity that the coupes don't have in the lower end.
That would stand to reason, but I've worked on a Corvair convertible once (and not on the body) so I don't know
Old 12-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Oh wow, Me too. My roadster was either rolled or hit broadside so hard it was about folded in half. The car came from South Africa. What I would give to be able to hear its story.
Any way to know when it was actually built?
I've heard stories about a company in (I think) Venezuela that bought the sheet metal tooling from GM and was building new '57 Chevies well into the 70's

Quote:
That is the coolest thing about building and old steel car. You just can't help but want to be able to talk to it...or more importantly to listen to it.
Old houses are the same way; you never know what you might find ... Not all of it friendly
I can remember sanding though layer after layer of old paint to find this beautiful mahogany underneath, and wondering why anybody would paint over it
Another house had about 20 layers of wall paper, with newspapers between the layers: the ones we could read ran from about 1940 to 1886. There were more behind those, but they were in Norwegian so I don't know how old they were.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,539 Times in 4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonoake View Post
Any way to know when it was actually built?
I've heard stories about a company in (I think) Venezuela that bought the sheet metal tooling from GM and was building new '57 Chevies well into the 70's
The BelAir is a US madel. Though I still wish it could tell me it's story.

As I understand it the roadster (36 Ford) was built in the US as a right hand drive model and exported to S Africa. The roadsters and phaetons as well as the 3 window coupes were built by Murray for Ford. There is more wood in the roadster than the Ford built sedans, cabrolets or 5 window coupes.

John
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I worked on getting a 1965 Monza convertible home... The car is rough and I mainly bought it for the 140 engine which will eventually go in a 1966 Corsa convertible waiting for me in Aurora, CO.

It hasn't had a back window for a long time and I don't know how long it was stored outside. Once it thaws out, I'll pull the back seat and see if there is a floor back there. I may need to drop it off at John's for a few months...

You coul install the 64 corvair single ( 1 ) cyl engine just to be different
Old 12-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,945 Posts
Quote:
The BelAir is a US madel. Though I still wish it could tell me it's story.

As I understand it the roadster (36 Ford) was built in the US as a right hand drive model and exported to S Africa. The roadsters and phaetons as well as the 3 window coupes were built by Murray for Ford. There is more wood in the roadster than the Ford built sedans, cabrolets or 5 window coupes.

John
That is interesting. Any pics of when you got it ?? Was it still right hand drive ??
Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Slow but willing learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
That is interesting. Any pics of when you got it ?? Was it still right hand drive ??
Here are a couple Mitch. I will post one of it after I stripped the paint in a few minutes. I was told I could buy a complete running rust free roadster for 16,500 delivered to the port in Savannah, Ga.

As you can see, it looked like a lot of the car for the money. Neither I nor the fellow who coordinated the sale had seen it so there was no one to be upset with and it actually was worth the money. Just not the bargain it looked like.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Slow but willing learner

Here is what I found I had bought.

Check out the street sign for one side of the deck lid.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,478 Posts
Quote:
Oh wow, Me too. My roadster was either rolled or hit broadside so hard it was about folded in half. The car came from South Africa. What I would give to be able to hear its story.

That is the coolest thing about building and old steel car. You just can't help but want to be able to talk to it...or more importantly to listen to it.

I did think I heard the belAir say "thank you" the other day.

John
I can believe that! This is why I love the real cars so much, they have a history. I had a 64 Corvette that the front clip was changed, I then found some serious frame damage, and the straw that broke the camels back was the twisted steering column support! I am not kidding you, when I found that I actually lost a lot of love for it. I DIDN'T want to know the history of it!

Brian
Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Slow but willing learner

I finished welding the door and ground the weld today. To my surprise the weld seam is a little "proud". It probably has pulled a little and flattened the patch but over all it is pretty dog gone good. With luck a slapper will bring the seam down a bit.

At the risk of really sounding vane. Since I posted the pictures of the roadster at it's worst, I would like to post one as it sits today and also a couple of the panels I made on the EWheel rather than try to deal with repairing them. I have said many times it was a good thing someone bought the car that liked sheet metal work. No way would it have been logical to pay someone to fix the car.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Well today, no car stuff (well maybe I will feel like it later) I hiked "Mission Peak" as the start of my new year (55 years old) and to hit my goal of going to the top in 55 minutes.

This is a photo I just grabbed off the net, the pointed part in the middle is "Mission Peak".

It's 2500 elevation and the trail is 3 miles long with a pretty steep grade. On the website they say to leave 5 hours to do it going both up and down. Today, being out of shape it took me 1 hour and 45 minutes up and an hour down. Back when I was doing it pretty regular I would do it in 1 hour and 20 minutes up and 50 minutes down. So the 55 minutes is not out of the question.

I did have a very hard time getting up there, the worse I ever have. I have a ways to go to reach my goal that's for sure.

But check out this mommy with the kid on her back! And this was taken right at the top, I told her, she deserves a metal, I have never seen anything like that.

Here is a good view, those hills poking up thru the clouds are across the SF bay from where the photo was taken.

Some cows joined in on the hike.

It was a great day, I am BUSHED right now though!

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Trophyman (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I finished welding the door and ground the weld today. To my surprise the weld seam is a little "proud". It probably has pulled a little and flattened the patch but over all it is pretty dog gone good. With luck a slapper will bring the seam down a bit.

At the risk of really sounding vane. Since I posted the pictures of the roadster at it's worst, I would like to post one as it sits today and also a couple of the panels I made on the EWheel rather than try to deal with repairing them. I have said many times it was a good thing someone bought the car that liked sheet metal work. No way would it have been logical to pay someone to fix the car.

You bet your 36 is happy to have met you! Beautiful job you did on her! Or him, I don't know I can't see under it in any of the photos.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 PM

Last journal entry: 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe New Project(3)

Beautiful views of your good walk done well Brian.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Last journal entry: 1939 Chevy Master Deluxe New Project(3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
You bet your 36 is happy to have met you! Beautiful job you did on her! Or him, I don't know I can't see under it in any of the photos.

Brian
Hey Brian,
A question, if you don't mind. I see you using butt joint clamps in this photo. Do you then just weld the gap closed? I've tried using them but find that the gap is just too wide to close without a lot of fuss. Is there a secret or just experience? BTW, as usual, beautiful work on the 36.

Thanks
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36-roadster.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	108865  
Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,945 Posts
John, that is cool seeing the car as it arrived with right hand drive !! I think I would've been very tempted to leave it.

You certainly brought the car back to a high level of restoration after purchase. I've bought "several" cars sight unseen, except for photos, and they are rarely what is portrayed. The Corvair is an exemption.

Today I went to HF and bought a cart for my Tig welder.

I was concerned about the fit once I got to the store and saw how short the top shelf was, but I forgot to measure the machine before I left so I bought it anyway. The shelf is short and the rear lip is too high to install the gas hose.... I may use the magnetic brake at work to make a new shelf the right length.

This is the welding "shield" that came with the machine. How the heck are you supposed to hold the torch, filler rod and this stupid shield at the same time...

Then I put new tires on the rear of the Corvair. They were supposed to be for the front of the Corsa, but they are too tall. I ordered a different pair for the Corsa this morning.

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »