The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 509 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

Nice work there. Working at your own pace is the best, but for me, I can't get myself to finish anything. The 5 minute rule is a good thing to live by and if you're not feeling than perhaps it can actually be 5 minutes but if you're feeling it can turn into 5 hours.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I have dinner plans so will have to knock off early and take a shower.

I rolled the tunnel today and have it where it will lay in place but still have to tip the flanges and form the transition with the planishing hammer. On both sides I had to raise a small area with the English Wheel to gain clearance for the convertible cross member. That is partly what makes the panel have a distorted appearance.

so far I am pleased with the progress. Just wish I wasn't so slow.

John
John ,If you were any faster you'd be done and what would we do then???? My day always starts out by checking out your posts.Besides your beautiful work already makes us pros look bad enough ,if you went faster I'd have to quit this biz...
Old 03-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,957 Times in 2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
I have dinner plans so will have to knock off early and take a shower.

I rolled the tunnel today and have it where it will lay in place but still have to tip the flanges and form the transition with the planishing hammer. On both sides I had to raise a small area with the English Wheel to gain clearance for the convertible cross member. That is partly what makes the panel have a distorted appearance.

so far I am pleased with the progress. Just wish I wasn't so slow.

John
Looking good John.

Don't sweat ()the speed.
If you were finished, then what would you do?
I used to worry about keeping to my ten year plan, but I don't care any more. If I finish by the time I retire will be perfect.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 PM
Purists Hate Me

I welded extensions to the wheel houses that will weld to the ends of the rockers.

And a shot of the car rolled over, just because, I'm enjoying the ease of doing things with the rotisserie.........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
CraigK (03-13-2014), tech69 (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM
put up or shut up

martin's idea of blending on the stand was a longball, four bagger, a hit out of the park! This job came out better than the old painter's work. The buffing was always there but the paint work is coming together, but of course there's still plenty of learn. The fender didn't even get rubbed or nibbed. It came out flawless for a production job and think a lot of it is due to the location in the booth, so I'll be setting my parts a little more forward around where the fender was. Great blend!

this is where it went wrong but that was out of my control. No spray out card so there's a little flop but when not in the sun and straight on it looks perfect. Flop isn't that bad though but now I know flop can't be seen straight on cause the flakes reflect and hide it, but at an angle you can see it. When spraying the coverage coat on the blend door I SAW the flop but without clear and flake sparkle so you can see the flop DEAD ON(not from angle). So that was good experience for me. Man, the chip didn't tell me any of this when checking for flop.

The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 8,257 Times in 4,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I welded extensions to the wheel houses that will weld to the ends of the rockers.

And a shot of the car rolled over, just because, I'm enjoying the ease of doing things with the rotisserie.........

You do have a mean streak don't you? That's OK just keep rubbing it in.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-14-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: power tour
Wiki Edits: 6

unintended save...

Was taking my rear leaf springs off and grinding rivets to replace hangers. I did not intend to take the rear shackles off at all. After I got the front hanger off, the rear seemed to have WAY to much slop. After removing tons of grease and crud, I could access the locking pins. When I finally got the near 60 yr old shackle off, I realized how lucky I got. Thankfully, I didnt have a complete failure. Lesson learned ? DO NOT take lazy shortcuts. Check underneath those nasty globs to actually SEE how good those original parts are. I only intended to replace the front to lower a couple of inches. I assumed the shackles/bushing would last another 58 yrs. ...rookie mistake....learn from it please. See how the bushing wore through and the end was nearly split completely.
http://
http://

Last edited by Hwyhogg; 03-13-2014 at 09:18 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hwyhogg For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-14-2014), Dave57210 (03-14-2014), John long (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 PM
put up or shut up

here's a little of what I've been dealing with this week. It looked way worse on Monday. At least now I can put on shoes.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,971 Times in 4,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
martin's idea of blending on the stand was a longball, four bagger, a hit out of the park! This job came out better than the old painter's work. The buffing was always there but the paint work is coming together, but of course there's still plenty of learn. The fender didn't even get rubbed or nibbed. It came out flawless for a production job and think a lot of it is due to the location in the booth, so I'll be setting my parts a little more forward around where the fender was. Great blend!

this is where it went wrong but that was out of my control. No spray out card so there's a little flop but when not in the sun and straight on it looks perfect. Flop isn't that bad though but now I know flop can't be seen straight on cause the flakes reflect and hide it, but at an angle you can see it. When spraying the coverage coat on the blend door I SAW the flop but without clear and flake sparkle so you can see the flop DEAD ON(not from angle). So that was good experience for me. Man, the chip didn't tell me any of this when checking for flop.

Awesome! On the spray out card, tape it to the body out in the sun and stand back and look at it, walk around, see it from different angles. When the painter at work breaks out the "matching light" (a really bright flash light sold by the paint companies) and looks at a color in the shop I want to scream. I have said "Why do you want to hold that pretend light two feet away from the panel when you have that fire ball in the sky?"

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-13-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,971 Times in 4,425 Posts
Quote:
here's a little of what I've been dealing with this week. It looked way worse on Monday. At least now I can put on shoes.

There goes your foot modeling gig down the tubes.

Brian
Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

Oh my
Oh my goodness!

I never thought about what I am going look at when John and Pugs are done their cars.

I finished up my e brake rod. I have been dying to step on that thing for 11 months. And I started my fuel line. Have to flush the tank and stick a gas filter in yet. I just hope I don't have to many bugs to work through. It was a big project on the mechanical with no test drives at each step. The good news is nothing is dripping oil.

One rad and some pedals to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	127946  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigK For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-14-2014), John long (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 PM
put up or shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Awesome! On the spray out card, tape it to the body out in the sun and stand back and look at it, walk around, see it from different angles. When the painter at work breaks out the "matching light" (a really bright flash light sold by the paint companies) and looks at a color in the shop I want to scream. I have said "Why do you want to hold that pretend light two feet away from the panel when you have that fire ball in the sky?"

Brian
I literally had two days to prep it, prime it, block it, mask it, paint it, buff and assemble it, and even wash it. Not nearly enough time. I told him I needed time to spray a spray out but he said the standard should be fine. Good thing is, I know if I sprayed it I would have reached for a low strength black and I'm confident that would have done the trick. It still came out really good and you can't really see the flop unless you're looking for it. I've seen much worse from some of the old painter's we had here and elsewhere. Got a white fender butt match coming up and it has flares that are flattened so that automatically will give me time to spray a spray out cause it's a butt match white AND the flares need to be flattened the right amount, so I will tell not to complain about match if he doesn't give me the time. I'm thinking 25% flattener for the flares. Can anyone give a thought on this? 50% is the most you can go so I figure 25% would be about right, or a start.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Looking good John.

Don't sweat ()the speed.
If you were finished, then what would you do?
I used to worry about keeping to my ten year plan, but I don't care any more. If I finish by the time I retire will be perfect.

I started with a 6 mo plan ,I have ben working on it now for19 months and I am still not finished
Old 03-14-2014, 05:17 AM
Purists Hate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I started with a 6 mo plan ,I have ben working on it now for19 months and I am still not finished
Think of it this way.
You planned way too short.

You're actually still ahead of schedule.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (03-14-2014), John long (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,707 Times in 1,675 Posts
Quote:

Looks like Sasquatch WHAT HAPPERED
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-14-2014)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in