The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 511 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Got the glovebox painted! WHOOO HOOO

Brian

i love those little ir lamps. easier to move around than the big ones.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
i love those little ir lamps. easier to move around than the big ones.
Yeah I have a pair of them, they get the job done for what I am doing.

They aren't that much and really nice to have around! I keep the stands out back and the lights hung on a bracket I made that bolts to the wall so they are up and out of the way when not in use.

Brian
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 AM
put up or shut up

yeah, they're easy to move around and get the job done on spot jobs.

Ankle is finally up to the task and after coffee will go out to the garage and fine tune these tanks sides and the buck. Then will make a template of the middle piece. I hope to have it welded in today but will make sure it's planished out nice and rolled before that happens.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:17 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,555 Posts
That Chevelle looks darn nice. I am not fond AT ALL of the painted mouldings and or bumpers usually, think it looks well......like someone is too cheap to chrome and polish and the paint it to save money. But that thing looks so well done the painted chrome and bumpers look like they did it because they WANTED to not because they were cheaping out, you know what I mean?

It really looks darn nice.

Brian
Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,727 Posts
Quote:
That Chevelle looks darn nice. I am not fond AT ALL of the painted mouldings and or bumpers usually, think it looks well......like someone is too cheap to chrome and polish and the paint it to save money. But that thing looks so well done the painted chrome and bumpers look like they did it because they WANTED to not because they were cheaping out, you know what I mean?

Brian
I was telling a buddy the same thing at a car show about 15 years ago.
I've changed my opinion since then.

I didn't even notice they were painted the first time I looked, DOH! Sleeping again.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 AM
put up or shut up

Quote:

It really looks darn nice.

Brian
I said the same thing when I saw it. I love the door handles. Thing is, up close there's a million flaws. Door was probably painted off the car flat and is a tad darker, not enough coverage on the quarter and can see faint areas of primer or something, swirls galore, bad gaps, but yeah, when that thing pulled up my first impressions were WOW~!
Old 03-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes

Spent the day cleaning and assembling the engine. Got the bottom end closed up, and block and heads painted. I'll be dropping the engine in tomorrow hopefully. Then just lots of little thing to hook back up!

Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 9,065 Times in 4,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Spent the day cleaning and assembling the engine. Got the bottom end closed up, and block and heads painted. I'll be dropping the engine in tomorrow hopefully. Then just lots of little thing to hook back up!

There is just something about looking at a new fresh built engine that is just exciting. I guess it is just knowing that those precision parts are going to work together to provide such an awsome amount of power. It is almost like it is a living breathing thing about to come to life.....Thanks for the PICS

I punched and drilled 66 holes for my plug welds this afternoon. It was good to have enough warm weather to let the weld through primer sit in the sun to dry.

Another good day. Life is a blessing for sure.

John

Old 03-15-2014, 07:15 PM

using a lift for anything over 15 lbs....

Man I hear that lift comment.... we have to use hydraulics for anything over 15-20 pounds these days and lots of patience...we just put the heads back on the 396 and I watched them come down like the space shuttle docks for the better part of 30 minutes and just gingerly guided them onto the dowels...

took some pictures....skybrake76's Photostream
Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
There is just something about looking at a new fresh built engine that is just exciting. I guess it is just knowing that those precision parts are going to work together to provide such an awsome amount of power. It is almost like it is a living breathing thing about to come to life.....Thanks for the PICS

I punched and drilled 66 holes for my plug welds this afternoon. It was good to have enough warm weather to let the weld through primer sit in the sun to dry.

Another good day. Life is a blessing for sure.

John

Yeah, for me it's looking at everything fresh, and thinking about the guy who was doing the machining and making it all so nice! I always appreciate fine workmanship, and people who do it!
It was gorgeous here too John, and when I got all cleaned up I took the Falcon for a drive to the burger joint and grabbed a quick bite, then stopped and picked up some parts.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

oh my
oh my goodness!

I have stepped in it now. Flushed the gas tank and connected the fuel line up. Decided to hang the doors so I could finish up the sanding on the outside. I should have stopped before that. My doors used to fit like BINGO! I was so proud of them! This is where I stepped in it.

The Doors don't fit. Out by a mile. I am going to wait until easter to fit the doors, I can sit in the driveway then and sun myself. I am just happy I didn't paint the outside of the doors yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	128210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	601.1 KB
ID:	128218  
Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 9,065 Times in 4,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
oh my
oh my goodness!

I have stepped in it now. Flushed the gas tank and connected the fuel line up. Decided to hang the doors so I could finish up the sanding on the outside. I should have stopped before that. My doors used to fit like BINGO! I was so proud of them! This is where I stepped in it.

The Doors don't fit. Out by a mile. I am going to wait until easter to fit the doors, I can sit in the driveway then and sun myself. I am just happy I didn't paint the outside of the doors yet.
Do you think the door has moved or have you done structural work to the cab? You surely have some idea of what is going on?

John
Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

I shouldn't have done the hinges. the hinges changed everything. The doors fit after the cab work, I welded my pillars to fit the doors. So I know I had GREAT lines. Yea, but I will confess, when I did the hinges, I found out one had dropped a pin. I had no idea it dropped a pin. I knew my springs were missing that is why I did the hinges. 3 hinges were 90 % ok, one was toast. But, both doors are out a lot.

Here is that learning curve. *note* do hinges before cab work and setting door pillars.

I have got a lot of die grinding to do to open holes and shimming behind hinges.
Just created 20 hours work for myself. I am laughing about it. I was so careful about the cab work and the doors. I had the doors off and on 100 times checking. *note* do the hinges before the cab work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	778.6 KB
ID:	128226  
Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Hey Craig, that's one of the benefits of doing this building ourselves. We don't get fired, or have to do it the 2nd time for free! Plus we learn from our errors, and still get it done cheaper than if we paid someone! I'm sure you'll get it worked out to fit like it did before the hinges!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,838 Times in 3,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
I shouldn't have done the hinges. the hinges changed everything. The doors fit after the cab work, I welded my pillars to fit the doors. So I know I had GREAT lines. Yea, but I will confess, when I did the hinges, I found out one had dropped a pin. I had no idea it dropped a pin. I knew my springs were missing that is why I did the hinges. 3 hinges were 90 % ok, one was toast. But, both doors are out a lot.

Here is that learning curve. *note* do hinges before cab work and setting door pillars.

I have got a lot of die grinding to do to open holes and shimming behind hinges.
Just created 20 hours work for myself. I am laughing about it. I was so careful about the cab work and the doors. I had the doors off and on 100 times checking. *note* do the hinges before the cab work.
BEFORE you do any cutting or grinding, let Brian see this and help you tweak the hinges. You can move them a lot with a block of wood and some pushing. I'm not familiar enough with the procedure to advise, but I think Brian can get you on track with just "brute adjustment"...

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »