The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 515 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Wiki Edits: 0

Weird happenings yesterday! I got my new engine ready to drop into the Austin, and after lowering it into the chassis the motor mounts didn't quite line up! Got the cross bolt through on one side and then the other side was about 1/8" off from lining up? It was like the three raised bosses on the block were slightly wider than the old 327 were. I'm re-using the same Moroso motor mounts, and they don't have the oval shaped holes that a factory replacement mount has, so no wiggle room. I ended up pulling the motor mounts off the engine and drilling out the holes larger to make them allow more play, and it went together.
In all my years of working on Chevys I've never had a SBC or BBC that didn't line up, but haven't used these mounts previous to when I built the car 3 years ago.
Anyway, the engine is in place, and just need to start bolting everything on it again. I test fitted the new cross ram, and found my fabricated valve covers are too wide, so can't use them with the intake. I'll need to pick up a pair of covers that aren't so wide to clear. Maybe go with some old retro finned valve covers this time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 01:49 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Weird happenings yesterday! I got my new engine ready to drop into the Austin, and after lowering it into the chassis the motor mounts didn't quite line up! Got the cross bolt through on one side and then the other side was about 1/8" off from lining up? It was like the three raised bosses on the block were slightly wider than the old 327 were. I'm re-using the same Moroso motor mounts, and they don't have the oval shaped holes that a factory replacement mount has, so no wiggle room. I ended up pulling the motor mounts off the engine and drilling out the holes larger to make them allow more play, and it went together.
In all my years of working on Chevys I've never had a SBC or BBC that didn't line up, but haven't used these mounts previous to when I built the car 3 years ago.
Anyway, the engine is in place, and just need to start bolting everything on it again. I test fitted the new cross ram, and found my fabricated valve covers are too wide, so can't use them with the intake. I'll need to pick up a pair of covers that aren't so wide to clear. Maybe go with some old retro finned valve covers this time.

Did you try the Fel Pro rubber gasket with the metal strip sandwiched ,they are less than half the thickness of the cork gasket, they work great with aluminum valve covers ,but Not on stamped steel they tend to leak because you cannot tighten steel tight enough without curling up the ends of the valve cover causing the leak

don't know how much room you need,
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,092 Times in 2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanLT1 View Post
Been a while since last post, been working hard fixing my dash after dropping it on the floor shortly after finishing it. The damage was much worse than I thought once I gave it a close inspection, had to repair a dozen small cracks. Got it painted and installed this weekend. just need to finish the carpet and build door panels and interior is close to finished.

I will never do fiberglass work again.

Have a great day guys.

Ed
Gotta agree, that is an awesome interior. Sorry you had to redo it but look at what you learned. You're work is a touchstone for others to attempt to achieve. Somewhere down the road when you are driving and enjoying the car, you'll look at that dash and laugh about the ordeal...

Old 03-17-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Did you try the Fel Pro rubber gasket with the metal strip sandwiched ,they are less than half the thickness of the cork gasket, they work great with aluminum valve covers ,but Not on stamped steel they tend to leak because you cannot tighten steel tight enough without curling up the ends of the valve cover causing the leak

don't know how much room you need,
I've got plenty of height. It's the width of my fabricated valve covers. They don't have an outer lip, as they come straight up, and the holes for attachment bolts are actually through the valve cover. They're about 3/4" wider than a stock SBC valve cover on each side. I just need something with a perimeter lip like stock have, and any height will work. So I'll look at the swap meet in a couple weeks.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Last journal entry: door trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Got the new short block for the Austin yesterday! First time I've had an engine assembled for a car, as I've always had them machined and then did the assembly myself. They did a beautiful job and it's all balanced, blueprinted, cam degreed in, oil passages reworked, and all new ARP bolts. Just need to put in the oil pump, heads, and externals, and it's ready to go. Pretty painless. It's a 10:1 355 with my heads on it.

Also finished the polishing on the intake after another 4 hrs. Had to block it out again, as the flat areas had a lot of irregular grinding that showed after 1st polishing. It's still not perfect, but good enough for my hotrod. The small irregularities left will be under the carb bowls, so not an issue. Didn't want a "show quality" shine, as it would look out of place on the old Austin's theme.
nice job I polish a lot of stainless steel parts and it takes hours. I'm not a big fan of real shiny lots of chrome engine stuff so it will fit your car.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
nice job I polish a lot of stainless steel parts and it takes hours. I'm not a big fan of real shiny lots of chrome engine stuff so it will fit your car.
Thanks! I feel the same way about too much bling. I like subtle polished items, and paint. A nice contrast, but not blinding.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100

Thanked 2,695 Times in 1,670 Posts
Saying is Chrome want get you Home,

I have mostly polished stainless amd some polished aluminum and some natural aliminun,much eaiser to keep up tan chrome I like chrome if some one else keeps it up. LOL
the waterpump is not chrome it is Overpolished aluminum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	128786  
Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Last journal entry: Body work

Stuck the seats in today for one last fitting and found out you can't bolt them down on the dynaliner foam under the carpet without distorting the tracks. When the bolts are tight you cant adjust the seat:mad

Guess I'll have to machine some spacers the thickness of the foam to cure this problem.
Martin, you need to come look at this car, plenty of flaws to see. This project was a lesson in what not to do. After you get so far into it you cant quit, have to finish it. But, I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.
I have a new hobby

I've been picking up tired old pinball machines and juke boxes the last year or so and getting them working again.
It's a lot of fun, and my kids and grandkids love them.
I think I have the best wife ever, she puts up with my crazy hobbies and never complains.
She usually beats me at pinball though, I don't like that much.

Thank you for the kind words guys, have a great night.

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to americanLT1 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:02 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Stuck the seats in today for one last fitting and found out you can't bolt them down on the dynaliner foam under the carpet without distorting the tracks. When the bolts are tight you cant adjust the seat:mad

Guess I'll have to machine some spacers the thickness of the foam to cure this problem.
Martin, you need to come look at this car, plenty of flaws to see. This project was a lesson in what not to do. After you get so far into it you cant quit, have to finish it. But, I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.
I have a new hobby
[
Ed
How about just a few stacks of fender washers ? Pick them up cheap at Lowe's.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

Quote:
Been a while since last post, been working hard fixing my dash after dropping it on the floor shortly after finishing it. The damage was much worse than I thought once I gave it a close inspection, had to repair a dozen small cracks. Got it painted and installed this weekend. just need to finish the carpet and build door panels and interior is close to finished.

I will never do fiberglass work again.

Have a great day guys.

Ed
That car makes me drewl…….. darn that is nice.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 PM

Today I finished up the fenders for the "gangster themed" '34 Chevy I've been working on. They were sooo rough! I'm burnt out on them, and glad to see 'em leave!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_2837.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	128810   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_2833.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	128818   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_2843.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	128826   Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_2811d.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	128834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Z1b.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	128842  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-18-2014), CraigK (03-17-2014), MARTINSR (03-18-2014), tech69 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,934 Times in 2,246 Posts
Quote:
Stuck the seats in today for one last fitting and found out you can't bolt them down on the dynaliner foam under the carpet without distorting the tracks. When the bolts are tight you cant adjust the seatBut, I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.

Ed
Thanks for the tip about the dynaliner.

And hopefully, the itch will hit you again in a few years.
You just never know when it will bite you and you go through the whole miserable process again.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

funny thing yesterday, I get into work and the boss is telling me how he painted the Rav 4 I was scheduled to paint on Saturday and how great it turned out. So we get into the booth and he's telling me how great the roof look. It looked ok in the booth with a quick glance but the hood had the biggest run I've ever seen, on a horizontal panel! My point is, there's a fine line between good work and crappy work. I could have taken pics and most of it would look no different than a guy who's been painting for 20 years but it's the details... On the hood with a huge run it had two areas that were sprayed wet and the sides of the hood were extremely dry. I've never seen such a big run sprayed that wet right next to areas that were extremely dry. This makes it a complete mess to sand and buff. How much do you live with when there's only 2 coats of clear on it? Run drips on the bottom of the hood to grill but since there's no clear there will just have to shave them off and rub compound on them. On the roof no back mask and he hammered on the materials in the drip rail and peeled the tape off wrong and peeled up paint so that will need to be touched up. then when I was buffing I got a cut thru cause there was an area where there was little clear(overlap area). All I did was 2000 softpad and 3000 soft pad it and foam padded it. Under normal circumstances that should not happen! So today the mega run might be hard enough to sand but is it worth it? I think I should have just grabbed a DA soft pad and re shot the hood. How much time do you save when the sides are extremely dry and you run the risk of cutting thru on the sides alone and to then sit there to cut out a huge run that could cause another cut thru?
All the while the boss somehow thinks he did a decent job...maybe he should be the one out here cutting and rubbing it.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
All the while the boss somehow thinks he did a decent job...maybe he should be the one out here cutting and rubbing it.
Sounds like he should be a politician! They own those same rose colored glasses!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
CraigK (03-20-2014), tech69 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:19 PM

Took my headers down to the local media blaster today, and had them stripped. They were looking pretty grungy after 4 years. Then hung them up and painted with NHT ceramic base header paint. Had good luck with it, but might need to run the heat gun inside the tubes before I do cam break in, so they cure well prior to that!

Got a few more little details done on the engine, plus found some vintage Mr Gasket finned valve covers last night on fleabay. So not much more I can do until the new carbs, air cleaners, and valve covers arrive.
I'll do a little cleaning and touch up painting on the frame in the meantime.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
tech69 (03-18-2014)

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in