The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 523 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Last journal entry: 53 ad3100
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,758 Posts
I just noticed the shifter .just like a Metropolitian I once had .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I just noticed the shifter .just like a Metropolitian I once had .
Yep, it's not your usual "column shift" it's more of a "Dash shift".

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

I have been kicking these doors around all day. Finally have an acceptable fit. Until I put the weatherstripping on, we will see. I am sure more tweaking is in order soon. I have one spot, the door almost touches, just out of the blue. I am thinking FBH and a dolly should do it.

Oh, I lost a big shim down the inner cowls. I dropped it when I was tweaking a hinge. Good new is it is the side with an opening. Bad news is it is stuck. One way or another that thing has to come out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	745.4 KB
ID:	130274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	698.4 KB
ID:	130282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2079.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	730.8 KB
ID:	130290  

Old 03-23-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
I have been kicking these doors around all day. Finally have an acceptable fit. Until I put the weatherstripping on, we will see. I am sure more tweaking is in order soon. I have one spot, the door almost touches, just out of the blue. I am thinking FBH and a dolly should do it.

Oh, I lost a big shim down the inner cowls. I dropped it when I was tweaking a hinge. Good new is it is the side with an opening. Bad news is it is stuck. One way or another that thing has to come out.

Hope you didn't do as I did ,I installed the weatherstrip backwards (,the way it fits best ) but it was wrong doors liked about 3/8 closing after about 4 hrs of trying to ajust them,so I turned it ,the weatherstrip around doors close flush now started to change hinges glad I didn't ,
The Following User Says Thank You to 496CHEVY3100 For This Useful Post:
CraigK (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 5,825 Times in 3,179 Posts
David, that overhead storage looks really nice !!!

Craig, you are a bit "persistent", eh ?? I like that you keep going right back at it until you whip it's butt...

I posted some pics of a GTO I am repairing a couple weeks back. I have been plugging away since then and got it done today.

Shaping the trunk pan extensions.

The owner was here last Saturday and we fit the tail panel and I tacked it in, but I wasn't happy with how the left side looked. Sunday I went back out and looked closer and it appeared to have moved during the tacking process. I cut 12 tacks out and moved it 3/16ths further into the quarter corner.

All done welding and the extension seam sealed.

I had to form a patch to repair a hole in the quarter panel that the tail panel attaches too. More of the seam sealer to blend the repair too.

Wire wheeled the underside for sealer too.

My part is done. He will do all the final cleanup and finishing...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-23-2014), CraigK (03-23-2014), John long (03-23-2014), tech69 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Rod...from a Chrysler?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 4,916 Times in 2,721 Posts
Got the new firewall and braces bent up this morning. I welded up the braces and temporarily bolted everything in place.

Got it back on the rotisserie to start laying out the new floor.

The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
CraigK (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Hope you didn't do as I did ,I installed the weatherstrip backwards (,the way it fits best ) but it was wrong doors liked about 3/8 closing after about 4 hrs of trying to ajust them,so I turned it ,the weatherstrip around doors close flush now started to change hinges glad I didn't ,
Thanks, I will for sure keep my eyes on that weather strip!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Mine has a groove in the rugger it turns to the outside then the metal strip on the bottom of the door bolts to it,,i didn't look right but that is what the assembly manual shows and it works
Old 03-23-2014, 06:26 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Between using our arms/hands extensively, I have arthritis growing in my joints. I've had ulnar transposition and carpel tunnel surgeries on both wings in the last few years. The carpel was so bad, I couldn't sleep anymore. MUCH better now. Get a DR.s opinion.
I had both knees replaced when I was 50. Since then I have had both shoulders and one hip joint replaced, Carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists, my left wrist fused and many , many injections in my back the past year trying to aleviate some of the back pain. At times my right hand hurts so bad that I wake uo sobbing with pain. Now my right wrist has gotten so stiff that I have to sit on my lower arm to wipe my butt. Scheduled to see a hand surgeon on April 1st.

Worked hard as a heavy equipment mechanic for twenty years, up until the last ten years, when I was a supervisor.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to carry around small block chevy blocks and hit concrete walls in frustration when I was younger. Keeping in mind that I was only about 155 lbs at the time.

Once when I was hammered, I hit a utility pole with a mercury vapor light with my fist so hard that the light went out and had to reset. Was a tough 155 lb 19 year old.

BTW was only in one fight in my life, when I was 16. Very quiet guy.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yeah I am wondering about my left arm because it's in the muscles on the top of my arm. Just holding my coffee cup is getting hard. The right arm is totally different in that it is IN the joint.

Brian
Let us know what you find out about your arm. Both of my forearms knot up sometimes like I have just got done lifting weights.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr View Post
Let us know what you find out about your arm. Both of my forearms knot up sometimes like I have just got done lifting weights.
Sometimes this can be a side effect of medicine. One of my heart meds was doing similar. Wake up in the night to screaming painful muscle cramps.. Had to change it.

I was having joint problems and had gotten to the point that I could not hold a hammer. Changed doctors and was then treated for a form of arthritis.. Not only cleared up the shoulder/arm/hand problem but also cured back problems that I'd had for over twenty years.. Methotrexate.. Good luck..
Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,291 Posts
Quote:
I was talking with a senior agent for Workers Compensation here. About guys in their 50's getting retrained because they are messed up from working in the trade. She told me flat out, "We retrain and get you guys, get you desk jobs, good jobs, but the problem is, if you guys have done this for 30 plus years, and liked your job, after a few months you old guys just suck it up and go back to your trade. You guys just figure out how to work around the pain, suck it up and get a helper"

During that conversation ( I was taking classes to retrain as a safety officer ) I realized something. I am going to die with a wrench in my hand. Be it a furnace or a truck, I will die with a wrench in my hand. I have the tool picked out I am to buried with. I stopped on the way home and picked up new splints for my wrists and elbow and then I bought a small cordless drill that fits in my pocket.

I never use the cordless pocket drill. I find tylonal more useful in my pocket.I also decided to let the safety officer certification laps this year.
If it makes you feel any better Art Arfons was buried in his fire suit, a wrench in one hand his assembly manual for a jet engine in the other hand and a jar of salt from Bonneville at his feet. You'll be in good company.

BB
Old 03-24-2014, 04:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,464 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Form this to this. A good night all and all. One done one to go. Next one easy, just file out the hinge holes 1/4 inch.
Looks better,
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

what a horrible day, and horrible boss. So the new painter started and it's back to the body shop and we're already running out of work. I told the boss that GOOD workers don't want to work for shops where there's no consistent work flow. I told him if I get sent home I'm gonna be pissed and that if he keeps running his shop this way he's gonna end up with a bunch of rejects that will accept cause they can't work for anyone else. This man doesn't value quality otherwise he wouldn't be putting me thru this. I go so does his quality with efficiency. The way it's looking now, I feel like taking my tank and going next door and ask for a job. This guy can't seem to be set on any decision he makes cause he doesn't know what he's doing and so I have to gut it thru all his lame decisions while trying to pay for a babysitter.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
what a horrible day, and horrible boss. So the new painter started and it's back to the body shop and we're already running out of work. I told the boss that GOOD workers don't want to work for shops where there's no consistent work flow. I told him if I get sent home I'm gonna be pissed and that if he keeps running his shop this way he's gonna end up with a bunch of rejects that will accept cause they can't work for anyone else. This man doesn't value quality otherwise he wouldn't be putting me thru this. I go so does his quality with efficiency. The way it's looking now, I feel like taking my tank and going next door and ask for a job. This guy can't seem to be set on any decision he makes cause he doesn't know what he's doing and so I have to gut it thru all his lame decisions while trying to pay for a babysitter.
That sucks alright.

Brian

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

« Come On Man! | - »