The "What Did You Work On Today" thread - Page 913 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Oh hell yeah John!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (08-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev View Post
Will the silencer only affect the jetting that much?
Did you get the head pipe also?
Those power cores are nice tails
yeah it flows so much more then a stock silencer its not even funny, it leaned my bike out a bunch.

the head pipe is alot of money and truth be told on the 250 with the dual ex pipes the stock one flows more then enough. its a single cyl / 4 valve motor , has 2 intake ports , and 2 ex ports. i may build one thats 1/8th inch bigger with a nicer merge this winter.

this winter im doing away with the dual carb head , the head im switching to has a single intake port that feed both valves-single carb, but still retians the dual ex valves/ports. of course the head is being ported and im doing a hotcam and forged je piston to bring the compression up, not sure how much of an over bore i might do
Old 08-12-2015, 08:09 PM

heres the stainless head pipe 199$'s
XRs Only Exhaust Header - Honda XR250R (86-UP) Stainless Steel

the only thing thats nice on it is the merge head side is the same size and so is after the merge
for 50 bucks i could build the same thing out of 304 stainless and get a lil larger on the head side with the tubing

Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 PM

Nick and I removed the bad brake lines and wouldn't you know it the longest one to the back needed to be replaced, crap. But we got them all out and the master cyl and will get the new lines tomorrow. I am afraid we won't be able to get pre-made lengths close enough and will need to have someone cut them for me as I don't have the double flair tool.

The photo is of Nick welding the crack in the exhaust that he found. I sure enjoy getting out there with him.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1995.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	238186  
Old 08-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Slow but willing learner

Thanked 7,831 Times in 4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Nick and I removed the bad brake lines and wouldn't you know it the longest one to the back needed to be replaced, crap. But we got them all out and the master cyl and will get the new lines tomorrow. I am afraid we won't be able to get pre-made lengths close enough and will need to have someone cut them for me as I don't have the double flair tool.

The photo is of Nick welding the crack in the exhaust that he found. I sure enjoy getting out there with him.

Brian
Brian, Most of the auto parts stores have double flaring tools you can borrow. I borrowed one from Auto Zone and liked it well enough I bought it.

John
Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Cool, thanks. When I did the Rambler I was able to buy them right off the shelf with just one needing to be shortened and I used my brothers. But it's 90 miles away now.

Brian
Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

Nick needs a "Buddy"

You are in earthquake country. I was living in San Martin laying on my bed listening to the world series when the BIG one hit. Another one like that would probably shake a car off the jack stands. Even though we have a lower probability of a big one here I still have a tree stump with a smily face I take under a car with me. a couple rims welded together, something solid.
The Boy scout motto.. be prepared ..for a what if.

Last edited by timothale; 08-13-2015 at 07:09 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-13-2015), whinny (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:18 AM

brake lines

Years ago when I was building my second T bucket I had it on a trailer and took it down to Royal Brass in San Jose and one of the guys did all the measurements, needed then found or made the longer front hoses got everything for me.
and from their website

Royal Brass has two Parker Stores located in San Jose & Santa Clara. Both of
these stores can make hose & tube assemblies while you wait
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued

Thanked 4,765 Times in 2,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Brian, Most of the auto parts stores have double flaring tools you can borrow. I borrowed one from Auto Zone and liked it well enough I bought it.

John
Or use shorter sections and unions to get the length you need. Nothing wrong with a double flair union in-line...

I use the new copper/nickell brake tubing and you can easily shape it by hand and avoid kinking. It is amazing stuff to work with and flairs much easier with a hand held flaring tool too. I'd let you use my hydraulic flair, but it's a bit of a drive to come get it...
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Or use shorter sections and unions to get the length you need. Nothing wrong with a double flair union in-line...

I use the new copper/nickell brake tubing and you can easily shape it by hand and avoid kinking. It is amazing stuff to work with and flairs much easier with a hand held flaring tool too. I'd let you use my hydraulic flair, but it's a bit of a drive to come get it...
That's what I am going to try to do. I used that line on the Rambler and it was very easy shape and fit.

Brian
Old 08-13-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
You are in earthquake country. I was living in San Martin laying on my bed listening to the world series when the BIG one hit. Another one like that would probably shake a car off the jack stands. Even though we have a lower probability of a big one here I still have a tree stump with a smily face I take under a car with me. a couple rims welded together, something solid.

That is what the wheels under the car are for, they are thinner than him or me.

Brian
Old 08-13-2015, 09:45 AM

stay safe

I didn't enlarge the pict and just saw the 2 tires on the RH side. I have some 2 x12 blocks next to the garage I have to tell the grand kids they cannot use them for the fire pit. I have a friend recovering from some broken ribs, his car came down when he was changing a trans the old tire- rim wasn't enough
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (08-13-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 AM

Thanks timothale, I'll up the game a bit. I have spent a lot of time with him and the safety stuff. Where to place jack stands, jack, rocking car after it's up to be sure it's steady, I put a LOT of time into safety and it seems to be working. He grabbed a little die grinder for that exhaust pipe and without me saying a thing had his particle mask, goggles, ear protection on.

We have a number of rims, I'll look into welding them together like that.

Brian
Old 08-13-2015, 12:25 PM

so far i got a jumop on my shop cleaning so i can paint the car , home for a quick lunch now

the plan is to go back finish cleaning , take the car off the lift , and start masking it off so i can scuff it and spray the primer sealer today

by sunday afternoon/night i hope to no longer have a flat black primed camaro
Old 08-13-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post

A big second on this. We in earthquake city too. We had a 7.1 in sept 2010 at 4.30 am in the morning. I woke with my wife grabbing my shoulder screaming what's happening, the noise sounded like a train coming through our bedroom and the violent shaking of our whole house was indescribable. We couldn't do anything because of the force. It went on for about 30 terrifying seconds. I knew what it was , just was waiting on it to stop. As I said you could never believe the forces involved. Don't take chances on going under cars. The second quake we had was 5 months later and killed 180 people. My daughter was in town at the time and told me that night when we were all together, I saw people get killed today dad. She would have been in the area that claimed a few lives, except her neighbour held her up 20 minutes talking to her. There but for the grace of God?

Later gator
Russ

Tags
build thread, projects

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in