Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#33,301 ·
First lift, and the Magyver Frankenstein fan. My bride's van was the guinea pig for the first lift... the rolling Jacks work fine, but would have been much better if I was actually centered on the lift. Since it did not pull the anchors out of the concrete and fold up on itself like a house of cards I'm going to call it a success. The fan itself came out of one of my girl's rooms. It still oscillates like it should. I cobbled the base together out of scraps. I think I'm going to make a bracket to mount it over the window. Eventually. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Minivan Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Minivan Transport
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Synthetic rubber Alloy wheel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#33,302 ·
First lift, and the Magyver Frankenstein fan. My bride's van was the guinea pig for the first lift... the rolling Jacks work fine, but would have been much better if I was actually centered on the lift. Since it did not pull the anchors out of the concrete and fold up on itself like a house of cards I'm going to call it a success. The fan itself came out of one of my girl's rooms. It still oscillates like it should. I cobbled the base together out of scraps. I think I'm going to make a bracket to mount it over the window. Eventually. View attachment 456799 View attachment 456801 View attachment 456803 View attachment 456805

Dang cool that you have a working "shop" lift now...:thumbup:

Build another 6-8" base under the fan platform and it'll be up in the window..;)

Seems your center light fixture isn't going to provide a lot of useful illumination. Also, slide the 2 end units out to the first perlin and tilt up a little, and they may provide a little more light under the vehicle.
For centering the vehicle, get it right where you want it on the runners and have DD put a piece of tape on the wall directly inline with the center of the steering wheel. That will get you very close on most vehicles.

Too damned HOT and humid up here to do much. We spent 3+ hours Friday and Saturday, ripping out buckthorn and cutting box elder trees in the mornings. About died from the exhaustion. Today, we were going to take it easy and not sweat .... yeah, right, just walking around the yard, spot spraying weeds was enough to soak my shirt...:rolleyes:

#33,303 ·
Dang cool that you have a working "shop" lift now...[emoji106]

Build another 6-8" base under the fan platform and it'll be up in the window..;)

Seems your center light fixture isn't going to provide a lot of useful illumination. Also, slide the 2 end units out to the first perlin and tilt up a little, and they may provide a little more light under the vehicle.

For centering the vehicle, get it right where you want it on the runners and have DD put a piece of tape on the wall directly inline with the center of the steering wheel. That will get you very close on most vehicles.

Too damned HOT and humid up here to do much. We spent 3+ hours Friday and Saturday, ripping out buckthorn and cutting box elder trees in the mornings. About died from the exhaustion. Today, we were going to take it easy and not sweat .... yeah, right, just walking around the yard, spot spraying weeds was enough to soak my shirt...:rolleyes:
Yeah, hot and humid here, too. Yesterday I was soaked through just sweeping the floor in the shop. The tape on the wall is a great idea. I'll have to remember that one. As far as the lights are concerned, I'll probably end up adding another fixture on the angled braces at the head of the lift. The light over the hood is the last in the string, so it will be easy to wire it in.

#33,305 ·
Too damned HOT and humid up here to do much.
Yeah, hot and humid here, too.

Grass still too wet to mow here. Its a touch swampy out.:sweat:

Alright, y'all kinda be on the lookout for my buddy. He's running around nekkid somewhere...
Why... That ornery low down snake in the grass streaker you call a buddy must have built the new door there while they was dronk.:mad:

:D

Thank goodness for the ability to sweat ;) I am taking the opportunity to use that sparingly! My mind is drawing an automotive blank. Ah.:)

#33,306 ·
Grass still too wet to mow here. Its a touch swampy out.:sweat:

Why... That ornery low down snake in the grass streaker you call a buddy must have built the new door there while they was dronk.:mad:

:D

Thank goodness for the ability to sweat ;) I am taking the opportunity to use that sparingly! My mind is drawing an automotive blank. Ah.:)
Ha! Yeah, that "door" was made a few years ago when dad lost control of a car he was pushing towards the garage. No damage to the car, but kinda tore up that panel on his shop. That's one of the things I've gotta fix over there before mom sells the place. That black snake hangs out there pretty regular. It goes in there and hangs out under the shelving in that corner. Sure wish he was a bit more hungry, though. A mouse crawled over my feet in the 57 week before last. I just saw him yesterday, before he went streaking.

#33,307 ·
My pan, after two runs in the oven with crisco for seasoning. There are a few small pits that were hidden beneath the crud. Took me about 30-40 minutes with my angle grinder with a twisted cup wire brush and a straight twisted wire wheel. It actually smelled like I was cooking once it started getting warm. That stuff was baked on there pretty hard. I think I'll cook up a little bacon in the morning. Iron Frying pan Metal Tableware Cookware and bakeware

#33,308 ·
My pan, after two runs in the oven with crisco for seasoning. There are a few small pits that were hidden beneath the crud. Took me about 30-40 minutes with my angle grinder with a twisted cup wire brush and a straight twisted wire wheel. It actually smelled like I was cooking once it started getting warm. That stuff was baked on there pretty hard. I think I'll cook up a little bacon in the morning. View attachment 456817

Looks about right. A well-seasoned Cast Iron pan is such a treat!

#33,312 ·
Of course we were fishing on Friday when he told me he was roasting. I only got a couple pounder while I was being so cool. A guy gets what he deserves I guess. My buddy got one just over 4 and my daughter got one just shy of 3.

Attachments

#33,314 ·
That IS a cool umbrella set-up. Better patent that quick..;)
I'd have to have a Wallybrella.
Nice fish too, bet your daughter had fun bringing that to the boat.

The A/C had been leaking for a few years on the '38, so a couple weeks ago, I replaced 1 hose and the receiver/drier and trinary switch. We went for a short drive on Friday night and the compressor kept short cycling, I mean as soon as it kicked on, it kicked off. It barely cooled the car, so we didn't go far. I did some trouble shooting yesterday and the new switch seems to be the issue. I have another coming in tomorrow.
I'm, also going to be changing the hood out. I looked at that yesterday afternoon, but at 90 degrees, I couldn't find the ambition to take it off. The replacement needs a hinge on the right half and that is what really stopped me. I wasn't in the mood to drill out the rivets on the current hood and I don't have any screws to re-attach to the replacement side. Maybe today, I'll get that done, before the temp gets too high.

#33,315 ·
After a tough first half the year, surviving corona crap restrictions, several trips to ER for gallbladder attacks, and the state calling my surgeries "elective". I finally got my gallbladder, and it's 1" stone removed. Then a month later got my massive hernia finally approved to be repaired. And in the same time frame I tried to plug away on my '39 Chev coupe build when I was up for it.
As of a couple weeks ago, I began driving the '39 and getting some miles on it. Even with my awaiting hernia repair, I still felt so much better after the gallbladder surgery that I moved forward building the '39. Once the car was driving, I finished off the glass installation, and began doing the interior. I have no sewing skills, or a machine, so I purchased pre-stitched diamond pattern black vinyl to do the old school interior. Cut door panels from hardboard I traced off the doors and side panels, and covered them in 2"x 3" diamond stitched vinyl.

I bought a pair of '53 Chevy armrests and painted and recovered them for the doors. My wife sewed up covers for the original '39 sun visors I found, and once installed she hand stitched them closed on the last edge. They came out great.

The car still needs final finish bodywork, and of course paint. But it's a great ride. A little harsh riding in front at first, but I removed 3 of the shortest leafs from the front spring packs, and it made it still firm, but not harsh.

Still using the one piece fiberglass lift off hood I cut from the one piece fiberglass frontend that was a lousy fit. It works great, and is easily removed to access the engine.
I find myself tinkering almost every day to make some minor change, or improvement. I need to pull the sending unit from the fuel cell and bend the arm. It is a 12 gal. tank, and goes from full to empty quickly. But when I refill it, the tank only takes about 4.7 gallons. So the float needs to be adjusted to get a corrected scale. Right now with the 700R4 overdrive trans I can drive another 125 miles after the needle hits empty!

#33,317 ·

Attachments

#33,318 · (Edited)
Just a tip for you old guys. I got a 1.00 magnifying lens for my welding helmet, OH YEAH that helped a LOT! I can almost weld once again. I also you will notice have my welding jacket taped to the helmet. That is so it's over my back so the garage light can't shine in onto the inside of the lens on the helmet creating reflections! Oh HELL yeah these two things made a HUGE difference in my welding, wow what a difference!

Brian
I wear 1.5 readers to weld. Otherwise :eek:

#33,320 ·
Mowed out front, then hit HF for a few items. Bits, gloves, drill, angle die grinder. Just stuff I'd cuss myself tomorrow for not getting. I still don't use any magnification, and blame poor vision on constantly peering through scratched safety glasses. ( extends tin cup :cool: )

Speaking of tin cups-

Coin shortage signs everywhere. Didn't see anything in the news about that. Sounds like a conundrum to me. Oh! Theres no coins! Can you change this stack of hundreds for a chest of nickels? No sir, theres a coin shortage. :rolleyes: Oh dear. I'm like... Do what?:confused:

Now for today's IDJ CryptoPost message:

I learned you and I are in a filter bubble. Us. Here, now. That aids my digestion of the state of affairs in a way.:drunk: