Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 12:46 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Wiki Edits: 0

my ground on my tig was getting hot so I fixed it. Seems like the arc is so much more stable. Also, I got bad advice in using green tungstens for aluminum. They absolutely suck! The gold ones are the best for aluminum I realized. Because the green ones are so soft and burn up and turn to crap so quick I used a 3/32" tungsten and 4043 rod for .063" aluminum when I should have been using 1/16 tungsten and 5356. 5356 is a harder rod and it doesn't melt away and ball up, and the gold tungsten lasts longer so I can finally use the proper sized rod and tungsten and it welds so smooth on the thin stuff now. This is my second bead I've done in months. A little rusty on amp taper towards the end but timing is still there. Tomorrow I weld an aluminum skateboard I'm working on. This is just a test bead. Will run a few more tomorrow before doing the skateboard but it appears the welder and set up is running better than ever for .063". I'm pretty excited due to the trial and tribulations of tig welding.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	409186