Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
I refinished my '38 grille with Chrome in a can... it was flat black primer when I got it. a quick blast in the cabinet to clean it and I have a silver grille...

I'm deciding on one of a few colors of mag wheel paint. Thinking i might go with the "steel" color that looks like bare steel.

I picked up the top trim, and the Chevrolet emblem that also goes above the grille Sat. I did a quick test fit to the opening on my one piece fiberglass frontend and can't believe how far off the opening is! The top trim is almost an inch too long vs. the opening! So it will need to be opened up towards the rear to get the two top trim pieces to meet together at the point of the hood.
Then there's the shaped of the top opening where it rounds down to the trailing corner. It's off also, and will need material removed to allow the grille to properly sit in that opening. after
I'll do some more checking and marking after I get the filler bars welded in today. Then I'll make up a template to mark out the opening, and carefully open up the hole to match the stock grille. I'll have to seal the raw edges with resin once I remove material, and see if I need to add any glass on the back side to allow the trim a base to sit against.
I've heard these glass pieces can be ill fitting, but this is really a surprise to be this far off!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1971BB427 For This Useful Post:
idrivejunk (06-17-2019)