Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The "What Did You Work On Today" thread
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 AM
Collector of "someday" cars

Last journal entry: continued
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,754 Posts
My son lives in Duluth, about 160 miles north of us. He has been in the moving phase for a month to a town about 90 miles south of there. He was supposed to have a 17' u-haul truck and a car trailer "reserved" for this from 2 weeks ago. His high school friend lives up there too, and he was going to help load all the belongs up, so I could meet Adam at his new place in the afternoon to unload.

He called here, Tuesday night and informed us that his friend claimed he, suddenly, had to work, when for the last 2 weeks, he wasn't on the schedule...
AND u-haul called and informed him they only had a 10' truck available and no trailer !! They CLAIM your reservation is guaranteed and if they fail to deliver, you get a $50 refund. That is a very deceptive clause, as they need to call and confirm that the equipment is actually on site and available before it is guaranteed.

That seriously left him in a crappy situation, so at 6 am yesterday, I hooked up my trailer and drove up there to help him load everything and bring his car down. His car was parked at the u-haul dealer and I had to take him over there to get it back and I had a very intense discussion with the manager about their fraudulent deception of what is a "reservation".. . Neither of us will ever deal with those jerks again.

Anyway, we worked our butts off for 3 hours to pack all his stuff in this tiny truck, load the car and get down to Isanti to unload it all. About 10 miles into the drive down, I picked up a vibration in the steering wheel and saw the left front tire on the trailer seemed to have a wobble in it. I kept an eye on it and pretty soon it was hopping madly at 60 miles an hour. I pulled onto an off ramp to look and sure enough, it was separating and ready to blow out. I hadn't loaded the trailer spare tire in my truck the night before and as I was hooking up the trailer at daybreak, I had a premonition that I should take it with and the jack and 4 way wrench. I tried once to pass it off, as I wanted to get going, but gave in to the gut feeling and threw it in the truck....what a miracle I payed attention to that feeling and brought it. I had to call my son, as the pickup was packed too and the spare was in the rental truck and he was about 10 minutes ahead of me. I had to limp it along at 50 to get to the exit he was parked at, but I got it changed and we were back on the road in 10 minutes.

Pay attention here, Brian. This is why I asked if your dealer will let you take spares with, instead of waiting for hours for one of their service trucks to bring one out and get you going again. I almost blew off my own advise and would have been forced to haul the wheel around until I found a place to buy and mount a new tire. I would have had to strap it on the roof of the pickup topper too, as there was no way it was going in the back... wow, I sidestepped a major issue there...