Hot Rod Forum banner

The "What Did You Work On Today" thread

3M views 36K replies 388 participants last post by  cerial 
#1 ·
4 hour work day for me at the shop. Used the time to do a valve body swap on a '01 Jetta 1.8t auto .... I successfully installed a transbrake on the car .... that however wasn't my intention.

Its in 2 gears at once in park, all other gears (R/N/D/2/1) are forward gears.... they all seam to be first gear.

I have it torn back down most of the way. Tuesday I'll actually get the VB back out and see whats up.... but part of me wants to take it out for a test drive the way it is just for the fun of it.

Reactions: drive til its broke
#30,182 ·
They brought it in the shop to be repainted,, (just painted at another shop ),but they didnt finish the filler repairs correct and looks like they painted it over sand paper..it will cost more to redo the job than they would have spent to do it right the start with..when will they learn.
The 58 and 59 Impala is a good example,,they were Dirt cheap when I was growing up ,those as well as the convertibles were usaually parked in the back and sold to the auctions derby cars because of the long rear fenders or scrapped for the drivetrains,,Now they are bringing Premium prices in about any condition.

#30,183 ·
Ha....there's still a light attached....:mwink:...but getting there.

You never know, they may grow on me over time as I find lots of cars now that I thought were ugly before are looking better....guess that's what happens when one gets old.

The 58 and 59 Impala is a good example,,they were Dirt cheap when I was growing up ,those as well as the convertibles were usaually parked in the back and sold to the auctions derby cars because of the long rear fenders or scrapped for the drivetrains,,Now they are bringing Premium prices in about any condition.

I replyed to wrong post above

#30,184 ·
Yep if you smash the trunk just right (up) early in a derby, you made a winning car. Somebody knocks it down or to the side, you're in for a rough, short ride. Trunk gutters rot first on those, so yep. Quarters are not fun to patch and the panels are kinda one size fits all.

I think my DD GTP has mount issues, not axle. Thinking my heat problem may be a cheap part. It still serves nobly though, and sips gas with me being polite about the right pedal. Today I figured out I am going to get solid rubber Napa eng /trans mounts and try a tstat with a jiggle pin and radiator cap from them. Too hot for me to want to tackle all that today though.

#30,186 ·
These relate to the previous conversation :rolleyes:

Best tri-five. Red interior please.

Figured I should answer my own question and some of the others. IDJ-s picks, for the sake of conversation. These are all spot-on with exceptions noted.

This with no dice-

Best tri-6 F. Bad mo fo

I want two, this one being a Sprint OHC6. It has automatic, can't have that. 4 sp

You wanna get serious with the dream car? THIS.

BUT! Thats the wrong year. Want that 67 Plum Mist on a '66. Grille change, done. Now when can I pick it up?:thumbup:

#30,188 ·
Today after FedEx got here, I opened up the box to see my third radiator in a month, and it's ready to be shipped back to Summit.
First one somehow I got a used one.
Second one didn't cool well so took advantage of the cool guarantee.
Third from a different company, Summit's website was wrong and I received the wrong radiator. Talked to a nice guy at summit, he's working on his 55 also. 4th radiator will ship monday.

#30,192 ·
One of my friends Mother has a Black 57 Belair identical in appearance with red and black interior with one of the slickest black laquer paint I have seen in a while the difference is it is a 235 3on the tree with overdrive last time I saw it last year had 30k miles,,she is in her early eightys but still drives it occasionaly,,she was going to sell it but her son Chad wont let her....mabe someday.:cool:

#30,193 ·
This is a nice touch to a classic 55,,i am trying to find the pictures of a 57 Roland stiched and installed last year ,,love the red.:thumbup:
'

Actually it is a 56,,

This is NOT the 57 described above,,but belongs to another friend ,the one that helped me with the floors in my 55.

This was his first attempt at doing an interior,,part is leather and part is simulated leather so it wont crack with use,,,i though he did a great job,,,

Attachments

#30,195 ·
Today after FedEx got here, I opened up the box to see my third radiator in a month, and it's ready to be shipped back to Summit.
First one somehow I got a used one.
Second one didn't cool well so took advantage of the cool guarantee.
Third from a different company, Summit's website was wrong and I received the wrong radiator. Talked to a nice guy at summit, he's working on his 55 also. 4th radiator will ship monday.

I missed one that had the brackets welded on wrong, so I'm going on my 5th rad.

#30,196 ·
That's what they do look like, or is that what you meant? What did they come with, 14's or 15's?
Let it go. There is no reason you need to ask me this unless you are trying to make me angry. Leave me alone about wheel size please, I have had a belly full of that crap. My 66 had 14s but was not a GTO.

What I wish is that you imagine them the size you want them to be. Does that answer your questions?

#30,197 ·
Let it go. There is no reason you need to ask me this unless you are trying to make me angry. Leave me alone about wheel size please, I have had a belly full of that crap. My 66 had 14s but was not a GTO.

What I wish is that you imagine them the size you want them to be. Does that answer your questions?

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, just share my opinion. (and I really had no clue that you liked big wheels)

Yes, that does answer my questions. I would personally like it if it has factory size wheels but to each is own. If you saw my 55 you would probably agree that I also drive junk. I just took a pic of the front for you. Towards the rear is how the rest of it looks. I have what are probably the cheapest Cragers made on it, but I like them and you are allowed to make fun of them. They couldn't be very popular because they discontinued them about 2 years ago. Some people put wheels like mine on their trailers.

Attachments

#30,198 ·
hot in the garage

Man sometimes it gets so hot in the garage a fan will not help. I had a old portable AC/heat 12000 btu about 7 year old. Garage is 25x25 8 feet ceiling with a 2nd lever. So I give it a try even though this unit is a little small for the room size. Temp in the garage 96 AC on took about 1.5 hours temp 78 base on the ready on the AC unit. Bot fills like about 75. So me happy Water is draining a cat litter bucket 4 gal will drill a hole through wall later for on.

No money spent I had all the parts.

Attachments

#30,199 ·
'

Actually it is a 56,,

This is NOT the 57 described above,,but belongs to another friend ,the one that helped me with the floors in my 55.

This was his first attempt at doing an interior,,part is leather and part is simulated leather so it wont crack with use,,,i though he did a great job,,,

That looks great.