what to do? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what to do?

I have a semi near mint 1981 basic camaro, it has the origanal 267 v8 4.4L with 83,000 miles. I always wanted to make it into a ultra fast street machine, but I dont know if I should do a full origanal restoration or go all out with a big inch small block, th400 or powerglide, triangulated 4 link, may be a roll cage and some other goodies. I dont know if it would be cooler restored or modified. By the way it does not have a duck tail spoiler on it, and I dont know if I should put one on. If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know, this has been driving me crazy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

later Gen 3's are pretty much worthless from a restoration standpoint. there is no value merit to them stock considering there dismal performance ratings. and especially with that 115 HP boat anchor you have.. switch it to a 350, put the spoiler on the back and make it somthing
Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 PM

its not a gen 3, and that 267 has some balls

Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanked 3,671 Times in 3,054 Posts
Because it isn't a Z28, the value of the car completely stock wil never be all that much, unless you seal it away in a time capsule for 50+ years.

It will be worth 2-3 times as much as a hot rod.

Not trying to bum you out, but...
As far as the 267 having "balls" , it's more like it has "chicken testicles" ,..... the 267 is almost universally considered "The Worst Smallblock Ever Built". It's tiny 3.5" cylinder bore size means it has ZERO performance potential because you can't bolt a head with decent size valves onto it, they won't clear the bore, and the cylinder walls aren't thick enough to bore to a bigger size.

The only reason the 267 even existed was it is a feeble attempt to have a V8 with 6 cylinder gas mileage and emissions.

Must be all you have ever driven is front wheel drive or "ricers" if you feel the 267 is powerful, a stock 4.3 V6 in an S-10 will smoke your Camaro. If you want a hot rod, your clean Camaro is a perfect starting point, it is just the type of car some go looking for as the value is low but the potential is high. The fact that it is clean just makes it easier for you to build a nice car out of it, you don't have to deal with rust.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cool81camaro
big inch small block
is that an oxymoron?

that said, they do have a 454 sbc...

i'd say go for it, don't think an 81 will be worth anything; but they probably said that in the 40s about the 32 coupe. if you want a fast car, build it. buy a new 67 if you want style
Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 PM

what about the ducktail? leave it off or buy one?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:36 PM

build it the way you want it and have fun with it , i have a 72 camaro from arizonia , just a base camaro , thats the way i wanted it to do a resto -mod, too many critics for me when i comes to numbers matching , i had a 69 charger RT, i took to a car show with the proof of a build sheet , it didnt have the rear sticker that wraps around the trunk rear quarters and deck lid , so another guy who was there with a 383 69 charger was telling everyone mine was a clone , ha, i had to pull out the broacast sheet and show him a real 440 Charger rt, sticker delete option , shut his *** up.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Wiki Edits: 1616

The '81 I had was even a more basic model than yours- it had a 229 V6. Ended up quite a bit different than that in the end.

If your '81 is a mint 'survivor', w/documentation like the original build sheet and etc., I say keep it that way- but w/a twist.

Gut the engine and tranny and detail them w/o altering anything from original. No repaint, correct as it can be made (or left). Wrap them safely tied down on a pallet for if/when you want to restore it to original.

In place of that mighty 267 and TH350C(?), drop in some real HP. This platform will take all the gasoline V8 engines made by GM w/the exception of a Caddy and some of the real early engines, w/o drama.

Any and all of the 455's are a bolt-in. BBC is also a bolt-in. You get the idea.

The 8.5 corporate rear end will stand up to a lot of abuse if built properly, a TH400 clears the floorpan w/no problem, so the sky's the limit to the power train.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM

there is alot more involved than a simple motor swap. springs ,motor mounts ,trans crossover mounts, driveshaft, radiator, and thats just i can think of right now .
Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbluevib
there is alot more involved than a simple motor swap. springs ,motor mounts ,trans crossover mounts, driveshaft, radiator, and thats just i can think of right now .
If the tranny is a good TH350, the engine comes out, another goes in. Same d-shaft, tranny, springs, don't know what a "trans crossover mounts" is but the trans crossmember stays put, same shifter even. If it has HD cooling, the rad stays. Same shroud.

A bit of plumbing and wiring if even that- depends on if the starter is on the "wrong" side or not, like a Pontiac compared to a S or BBC.

If a 350/383 SBC or a BBC is going in, NOTHING (clamshells for the BBC- IF the engine sits too low for header clearance w/SBC 'shells) changes, unless the guy wants a TH400 or 12-bolt, etc. Motor mounts need changed most likely anyway, what $20/pr.? If not, move them to the correct holes.

F-bodies and A/G-body cars are the easiest to work with going away, IMHO.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cool81camaro
its not a gen 3, and that 267 has some balls
Sorry, Gen II. I get them confused
Old 12-05-2009, 06:51 PM

My opinion... as you asked.... put a spoiler on it, they look so wrong without one. Add lots of cubic inches and hp. Dont suppose I could talk you into putting a big block Ford engine it.. retaliation for all those small block chevies in otherwise beautiful Ford streetrods.
Then again, if you are happy with the current oem setup, the call is yours. But I would still put a spoiler on it. Good luck with your project, whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Sorry, Gen II. I get them confused

ohh this is a burning point with us Gen2 owners ... easiest to remember Gen 2 cool looking last of the real muscle cars , Gen 3 = doorstop wedge ( I own Firebirds and hate them being called Camaros )

as for the opion options pull the original drive train , palletize it like said earlier , get a nice BBC or BSC ( big small block ) and have at it old style Chevy parts and drivelines are plentifull and cheap! , as for the the Z-28 buckboard , if you like it do it (and get the front one too ) , the holes can be filled in with a welder if you remove it . as for springs for the front they are cheap and should be replaced as they soften over time . and go to Eddyville Dragway this summer ! , as I told customers in the past at the bodyshop , "its your car do what you want, not what others want " I have put the wheel spats of a Trans Am on a Camaro at a customers request , at first I was like well.... after it was done and painted it looked good and like it belonged . this is why We are HotRodder we do things others Don't !
Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Wiki Edits: 1

This is what i would do, I would find a 350 or a 400 that runs good and buy it. I would then drain all the fluids from the 267 and pull it. I would then haul that 267 to the metal recyclers for scrap. You might make $20 in scrap, but that would be better than nothing.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in