What to do about odometer when getting new GPS speedometer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2019, 10:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What to do about odometer when getting new GPS speedometer

The original speedometer in my 1947 Ford died who knows how many decades ago and I've been keeping track of my new engine miles and speed by using a speedometer app on my phone since last winter. So far I have clocked just over 1,200 miles on the new engine. Today I ordered a new Autometer Pro-Comp Ultra-lite GPS enabled speedometer and my question is... is there a way to enter the 1,200 miles on the new odometer, or do I need to start from zero again? What do you guys do about the odometer when you a get a new speedo?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 07:32 AM

Following this. I have the same question.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM

My new gauges from dakota digital allowed you to set the initial mileage for a set number of miles. I think once it hit 100 it locked out the option.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:16 PM

My case is just a tad different I suppose.

My car had around 84k original miles on it when I did the dash work. New speedo shows 0 of course. I wanted to get the odometer up to the exact mileage the old one was at so that I could always have an accurate accounting of mileage.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:39 PM

I dont think anyone offers a way to change mileage as if you could change it forward you could probally also change it back.

When I do a speedo swap I always record the old odometer mileage then simply and it onto the new mileage. In your case I would do a oil change now then go off the gps speedometer odometer for future changes.

Between startup delays, and tunnel delays when the wheels are moving 1000 miles over 100,000 miles is more then acceptable.

If the engine had like 30k then I would just record that in paper form tucked in the dash. Then just pass that information onto the new owner.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Last journal entry: This thread is officially Kaput as of 11/07/2017

In 1981 I bought a new Harley fat bob. I put about 1600 miles on the bike and the speedo went nutzoid on me. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the speedo. I asked about any way to get the mileage set. The dealer shook his head no. I went home found me a 12 volt dc motor. I pulled the new speedo out and used some rubber hose to connect the drive of the speedo to the shaft of the DC Motor. I wired it to a 12 volt battery and had a charger hooked up to keep the battery up. I spun the speedo up to I think it was 60 MPH about mid scale on the face of the instrument. I figured at 60 mph it would need to run round 26 hours. I left it running for the required hours and had to quit about 150 miles short as the dc motor quit. I was successful in getting close. I decided then Never again as it just wasn't worth the hassle. I used up 1500 miles of life out of the speedo just to keep Oe miles the same. A concours vehicle I could do that but not an everyday driver. I just make a pencil notation with the paperwork for the bike that to add X# of miles to add.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 PM

I bet half of these guys have driven something where the speedo was 5-10 off without much concern about the odometer.
That is basically while i like gps so much you can swap a 3rd or tires and know when your going 5 over your only going 5 over.

Now what you can do is simply hook the thing up on your daily driver back and forth to work car then just drive it powering the thing with like the lighter. When you get 1200 miles stop and hook it up to your car avoiding to much down time. I imagine there is like a small internal battery for maintaining the mileage for when the car battery is removed that will allow you to move it from one car to the other.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver74vette View Post
My new gauges from dakota digital allowed you to set the initial mileage for a set number of miles. I think once it hit 100 it locked out the option.

That sounds like a pretty slick idea, but I'll bet there is a cheat code of sorts to unlock it again.

I had my cluster out while building the motor and set it to 000000 so it reflects the engine mileage. I think on my title it says it's unknown or something to the effect. Maybe that it has exceeded the maximum mechanical limits... something like that.

Did later years have an ink thing to ruin the numbers if it was fooled with? My brother used to turn them back for a Ford dealer and I sort of watched him do it once. He said the ink thing is probably dried up, and it was. Or was that just one of his many, many stories he told.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:11 AM

Tony,

I'm sure there is a way, would probably involve sending it back to the manufacturer. I set mine to miles since the new engine was installed.
In NC my car is odometer exempt so odometer fraud is not as big an issue.
My setup was made specifically for a 38 Chevy, not a generic gauge.

Thanks, Chris
Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 PM

Oh well, looks like it is what is. I'll just have to start from 0 again. Thanks guys
Old 09-23-2019, 06:53 AM

Just a stupid thought hit me, but I wonder what would happen if you wired a little battery to it and (well this is already sounding really dumb) taking it on a round trip flight, what would happen? This is assuming you actually got onto the plane with an electronic device rigged up with a battery and didn't get locked up.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Just do it with your daily car over a month like I said before.
Average drive to work 30 miles x2 is 60 miles round trip. 1200/60=20 days.

Less rubber gloves involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerial For This Useful Post:
47 Ford Coupe Delux (09-25-2019)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in