Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - What to do for this rust repair?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What to do for this rust repair?

Okay, I got the doors off my truck and have started working on them. The previous owner had put some stainless steel lower door guards on, which of course traps water. Overall it's not as bad as I feared and nothing is rusted thru other than the corner areas (where the inner and outer panels almost touch). I know I need to cut those areas out and weld in some patches but my question is for the rest of the lower part. I have wired wheeled and stripped the area and am left with these pock mark areas that the rust was on the top of. None of it goes thru and it is all very solid.

How do I keep this area from rusting thru/bubbling down the road? Should I use "some" product on it and then prime or just clean as good as I can and epoxy prime it? I realize after I get the metal treated/sealed I will need to use some filler to smooth it all. I would hate to think I would have to replace the whole lower part of the door for metal that is in better shape than some I have worked with in the past. Thoughts, ideas, pointers? Here's some pics.

This is what the area looked like after removing the "door protector"

Wired wheeled and stripped (other door)