What do y'all think on power - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2020, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What do y'all think on power

I know this is an elementary question here but curiosity has the best of me. What kind of power do y'all think im putting to the ground based off this very short video lol

Running in a 95 single cab 1500 5 speed with 3.08 gears.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 08:58 PM

Old 01-03-2020, 10:29 PM

Thanked 1,249 Times in 991 Posts
My go to baseline 350 which is also popular in magazine articles is a base 350 with a stock rotating assembly. With a cam that is a comp XE268H flat tappet or someones timing card reasonable equivalent and holding the compression ratio at 9.5 with 750 cfm carb on an Edelbrock RPM or Pro Products Typhoon intake you can expect the following:

With ported 2.02 intake 1.6 exhaust double quench iron heads around 400 pound feet of torque in a range of 3500 to 3700 RPM with horsepower from 350 to 360 in a range of 5400 to 5500 RPM. Sounds good but wait.

With stock L31 Vortecs with lift modified guides the numbers are 400 pound feet of torque at 3400 RPM with about 375 hp at 5700.

Cleaning up the Vortec ports or bolting on a set of alunimum FloTecs or Edelbrock E-Tecs and your looking at numbers like 400 pound feet at 3600 and 385 ponies at 5700.

Now to these if you add 1.6 rockers (rollers for fulcrum heat survival) you can expect about 410 pound feet at 3600 with hp at 405 at 5800 revs.

Jumping to an aftermarket head with 2.02x1.6 valves with the above valve train on 7/16 studs or with 3/8ths using a stud girdle and 190 to 200 cc intake ports the numbers start looking like 420 pound feet at 4000 with hp peaking at 420 at 5700 RPM.

Now if you build this with D cup, I love that phrase, pistons with 64 cc head chambers or a flat top piston with aftermarket 74 cc heart shaped chambers you're looking at torque peaks about 7.6 percent bigger and holding a fuller curve thereafter with horespower in the range of 8.3 percent higher and useful to 6200 RPM. A note that this is pretty much at if not above what 1-5/8ths headers can flow, reliable power in this range especially as parts age really is getting into 1-3/4 primary tubes.

Obviously for a 383 to maintain the same power to displacement ratio the cam timing and all carb through port volumes need a percentage increase. Maintaining power to weight gets more difficult as displacement gets bigger.

Exhaust systems are easy eaters of power, typically chassis dyno guys use a 20 percent loss rate between crankshaft and tire, but a few tiny sins can quickly double the loss. Don't forget that fans and pumps suck a lot of power up on the top end. Both have pretty modest consumption under about 4000, but this goes pretty crazy by 6000. At peak revs you can easily sink 50 horses into the fan and pump without even wrestling with what the exhaust system is doing. This is more than mufflers, everything counts especially bad fits and crappy welds. Same holds for the driveline abrupt angles, compound angles, off center U-joints, out of straight or balance shaft, underinflated and or out of balance tires are all power eaters.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to BogiesAnnex1 For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (01-03-2020)

Old 01-09-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogiesAnnex1 View Post
My go to baseline 350 which is also popular in magazine articles is a base 350 with a stock rotating assembly. With a cam that is a comp XE268H flat tappet or someones timing card reasonable equivalent and holding the compression ratio at 9.5 with 750 cfm carb on an Edelbrock RPM or Pro Products Typhoon intake you can expect the following:

With ported 2.02 intake 1.6 exhaust double quench iron heads around 400 pound feet of torque in a range of 3500 to 3700 RPM with horsepower from 350 to 360 in a range of 5400 to 5500 RPM. Sounds good but wait.

With stock L31 Vortecs with lift modified guides the numbers are 400 pound feet of torque at 3400 RPM with about 375 hp at 5700.

Cleaning up the Vortec ports or bolting on a set of alunimum FloTecs or Edelbrock E-Tecs and your looking at numbers like 400 pound feet at 3600 and 385 ponies at 5700.

Now to these if you add 1.6 rockers (rollers for fulcrum heat survival) you can expect about 410 pound feet at 3600 with hp at 405 at 5800 revs.

Jumping to an aftermarket head with 2.02x1.6 valves with the above valve train on 7/16 studs or with 3/8ths using a stud girdle and 190 to 200 cc intake ports the numbers start looking like 420 pound feet at 4000 with hp peaking at 420 at 5700 RPM.

Now if you build this with D cup, I love that phrase, pistons with 64 cc head chambers or a flat top piston with aftermarket 74 cc heart shaped chambers you're looking at torque peaks about 7.6 percent bigger and holding a fuller curve thereafter with horespower in the range of 8.3 percent higher and useful to 6200 RPM. A note that this is pretty much at if not above what 1-5/8ths headers can flow, reliable power in this range especially as parts age really is getting into 1-3/4 primary tubes.

Obviously for a 383 to maintain the same power to displacement ratio the cam timing and all carb through port volumes need a percentage increase. Maintaining power to weight gets more difficult as displacement gets bigger.

Exhaust systems are easy eaters of power, typically chassis dyno guys use a 20 percent loss rate between crankshaft and tire, but a few tiny sins can quickly double the loss. Don't forget that fans and pumps suck a lot of power up on the top end. Both have pretty modest consumption under about 4000, but this goes pretty crazy by 6000. At peak revs you can easily sink 50 horses into the fan and pump without even wrestling with what the exhaust system is doing. This is more than mufflers, everything counts especially bad fits and crappy welds. Same holds for the driveline abrupt angles, compound angles, off center U-joints, out of straight or balance shaft, underinflated and or out of balance tires are all power eaters.

Bogie
Gospel!
I just learned more in less than 3 minutes reading this, than 30 years of bench racing has ever taught me. And this all makes Purrfect sense.
Thanks Rich, you are amazing...
Old 01-09-2020, 08:34 PM

Bogie! Not Richard. Tech, we love you too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Excellenceautosoluti For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 PM

If you want to make power that 3.08 rear needs to go.
I always thought 3.42 was as high as they went I know in my 96 c1500 w 5 speed with 3.42 gearing the overdrive was almost useless. I imagine with 3.08 that 5th gear is only used above 90mph to knock down the rpm.

Be careful just how much torque you put into that 3500. I would not put much over 380 ft/lbs into one without a rebuild and upgrades.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in