what kind of sand do i need for sandblaster? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

unstable................The reason they make laws like that is because there are some people that are too stupid to protect themselves. Of course, these same people are smart enough to sue when they can't breathe anymore due to "silica" wrecking their lungs..........

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Wiki Edits: 0

'35

I wasn't trying to knock you bud...seriously. You have made some legit points about the pros and cons of different types of blasting media. I just really hate it when fear tactics are used unnecessarily...

Cape Cod isn't that relaxing, the cost of living here is ungodly and it certainly adds to my daily stress level.

As far as media goes, I've used black beauty and regular old sand. The BB worked well at the time but I thought it was too expensive for what it was.

I had a guy in NC blast a bunch of my panels and he used standard sand, it wasn't any high-speed BB stuff or anything like that.

Oh yeah, even though BB is approved for use in California, isn't that stuff Coal Based and that can screw up your lungs too? You can't win for loosin'. I really want it to be 5 so I can go home and crawl into bed for a few hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Only in California!!!

Yes sand blast (dry) with NO mask doing it everyday could pose
a health problem. So could dry shaving 8 hours a day, you could get skin cancer.

Re: 2.1 VOC law-
If you take the Toluene out of the activator and stuff it with acetone or pm-acetates the VOC drops from 4.2 to 2.1 its now legal!

Now wash your hands with Lacquer thinner, or toluene or pm-acetates and in 10 seconds it will show in a urine test.

Just a bunch of sexually deprived tree huggers that are board!

Old 05-27-2004, 03:45 PM

Remember acetone is not considered (from an Air Quality viewpoint) a VOC as it does not react with sunlight to create low level ozone (smog), however from a safety standpoint it is way more dangerous as it is much more volatile.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim240Z
Remember acetone is not considered (from an Air Quality viewpoint) a VOC as it does not react with sunlight to create low level ozone (smog), however from a safety standpoint it is way more dangerous as it is much more volatile.

I guess they have their priority's right! 2oz of toluene per quart
is going to cause a cloud??? So lets kill the painter with acetates and acetone's.
Hell of a deal!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:55 PM

Last journal entry: Back on track

Oh, yeah?

I dare ya to get the sand. Chicken.......Sissy...... Everybody else is doing it.

Pencilneck

Applying peer pressure
Old 05-27-2004, 05:06 PM

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim240Z

Better tell manicurists that acetone is harmful, they use it by the gallon and soak customer's fingers in it for many minutes a visit!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
Better tell manicurists that acetone is harmful, they use it by the gallon and soak customer's fingers in it for many minutes a visit!
OH YES! and it will show up in blood stream real fast!

Wait! They can't pass a law like that! The tree huggers wifes would cut them off!
Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 PM

media blasting

I have a couple of vehicles that need to be media blasted and I have been tempted to get sand, however someone told me he was able to get Black-beauty for a reasonable price around $35-50 for 100lbs. He doesn't remember where he got it though. He said it was coal-slag(?) which makes me wonder why it is so pricey. Anyone know where one can get it in bulk? I am up in Maryland if this makes any difference. Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

I got a small bag of that with a spot sandblaster that I bought....works real well, but seems to generate a lot of heat. I only used it on Rust spots, small area. I would think on a large panel, warpage would be a concern. My local rental place could only get me regular sandblasting sand, so I am out of it. Regular sand works almost as well, with less heat.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:09 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

i blast cars for a living and you wont find any sand in my place. it's dangerous to you health, will ruin your ride and does a really poor job of rust removal. starblast by dupont has no silica and does an excellent job on rust or paint. it wont warp your panels either. it's not the heat that warps. it's the sand hitting the metal like thousands of small hammers. there are several hundred different medias for this and sand is'nt one of them. if the cost difference between a safe product and a proven hazard is such a big deal your in the wrong hobby. star blast is 10 bucks for 50 lbs and can be recylcled 8 to 10 times. be safe.

starblast has <5% , starblast xl has less < 1% silica

Last edited by shine; 12-07-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM

My problem is finding local suppliers of media. Tractor supply has glass beads for $32.00 for 50lbs., but outdoor blasting you lose a bunch. I use sand and a 3m mask approved for silica. I don't do it for a living, so not too worried. Any suggestions for sources of media?
BTW if I use non-sandblasting or construction grade sand, I sift it, as there are usually a handful of big pebbles in it.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:01 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress

look for a composite supply co. they will offer all the different medias. starblast will be around 10 a 50 lb bag. do not get it from a paint supply. they jack the cost up to 35 a bag which is ridiculous. you can recycle this product many times. it is a fine grain and gets the small pits clean without leaving a large anchor pattern. it does not take a lifetime for silica to hurt you. blasting outdoors does not remove the danger, it makes it your neighbors problem also. i wont go into what the dust from the rust does. do some research before you act.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim240Z

My understanding is that it is so heavy it goes down and not up when it "evaporates". It is VERY heavy, ever pick up a gallon can next to a can of lacquer?

On the "nail places", have you guys ever walked in one of those places? HOLY COW, it is like you are walking into a garage with a guy painting a car! My senses are all shot and I was still floored by the vapors, wild.

Brian
Old 12-07-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
look for a composite supply co. they will offer all the different medias. starblast will be around 10 a 50 lb bag. do not get it from a paint supply. they jack the cost up to 35 a bag which is ridiculous. you can recycle this product many times. it is a fine grain and gets the small pits clean without leaving a large anchor pattern. it does not take a lifetime for silica to hurt you. blasting outdoors does not remove the danger, it makes it your neighbors problem also. i wont go into what the dust from the rust does. do some research before you act.
Shine, How much of this starblast do you think it would take to do a 1975 Silverado .. the entire undersides ? I have a pressurized sand blaster that holds about 10 gallons, although I haven't used it yet. Never heard of this media. I use black-beauty in my blasting cabinet because it was expensive
and works pretty well and yes it does generate a significant amount of heat.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in