what kind of sand do i need for sandblaster? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 PM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Wiki Edits: 0

i tried walnut shells... hurt like hell when they bounce off the panels... didn't work too good for me... i liked the results of star blast, but the media dosen't hold up too well for reuse. pulverisses after a couple uses. i am kind of partial to green diamond and clean blast, but also like using baking soda for my intakes and carbs. haven't tired glass yet, but garnet didn't cut it for me either...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 08:47 PM

Media blast

Try using walnut shell media-blast,it wont heat the body as bad as a sand or a black beauty media will.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:19 PM

i didnt read through the 5 pages of replies i'll just give my 2 cents... I just got a cabinet as well... we used glass beads first, the finish is excellent... but if there is alot of paint on the piece it could take a lil longer than wanted... so we picked up some stuff called "Black Beauty" im not sure exactly what it is, cant remember but its real cheap... 100lb bag was like $16... that was good for paint removal, but was a rougher finish... could hit it with the black beauty first then switch over to the glass bead for a smoother final finish... theres alot of different types of media out there, alot depends on the type of finish you want...

Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM

media info

I also skipped over the previous 5 pages of replies but for any media info and to get answers to connected questons try www.consolidatedstripping.com
If these guys can't give you the answers nobody can.

Paul
Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 PM

Not Sure?

I saw someone using "baking soda" in a blaster to remove paint from a resto body job?
It's reputed to be environmentally safe.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 AM

Sand?

I also sand blast out of my shop behind my house. There are several types that work well. Any "good" Building supply store, not Home Depot or Lowes, but like Franklin building supply (that's where I get mine) will carry granite sand, it is the best if you want to use sand. baking soda works very well and only eats the paint, you can actually hit rubber parts if there are any on the items you want to blast, without hurting it. This also can be picked up at a lumber store in large bags. Of course glass beads work well, as do metal beads for items like Bumpers. What ever you use make sure you wipe you metal down with enamal reducer or a tac cloth prior to painting it and use a self etching primer for your first coat to assure paint adherance.
Have a great christmas.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 PM

sandblast sand

I have done some blasting, dad taught me to blast with creek sand and a hankerchif...coughed up sand for years. Now I buy fine blasting sand from a local building supply place, less than $5 a bag (80lbs). I wear a 3m respirator. I value my lungs and for a very ocational use I think this should be ok. what do others think?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 7314

Just found this resource:

Blast Cabinet Design and Media Blasting Information.

It appears to be among the better resources on the net for media blasting information. Be sure to check out all 3 parts of the article. The first two parts describe a custom media blast cabinet (with excellent photos). The third part (which I've linked to above) gives information on media blasting in general. It has been added to the Garage - Tools Articles category of the Hotrodders Knowledge Base.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:13 PM
boatbob2

sand blaster

hi,the material you use to sand blast.depends on what youre blasting, if its old rusty,go to home depot and buy sandblasting sand duh!no b.s. it says sandblast sand on the bag. if youre blasting something that is not totally rusty,like intake manifolds or aluminum parts,i use glass beads. you can look in the yellow pages (i dont remember the heading) i still have 50 lbs left over from about 5 years ago. glass beads are hygroscopic......ghee i didnt know that.............it means they will absorb water,,,keep them in a sealed container when not using.if they get wet,i put them in an aluminum turkey cooking pan and put them in the oven,turn them everyonce in awhile.NO do NOT baste them,youre blasting NOT eating.. MERRY XMAS EVERYONE
Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 PM

sand

any business that sells concrete block, concrete mix ect. sells different grades of sand for blasting.i use beach sand or buy a 60 grit sand.wear a respirator and use low air pressure so as not to heat the metal.i've sandblasted entire truck bodies as well as frames etc.it still is the cheapest way to bare metal.spray a rust preventative acid like must for rust to stall flash rust or shoot epoxy on. have fun and blast away!!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:42 PM

http://www.consolidatedstripping.com/pages/11/index.htm

Some good rules to follow.
This company uses a 800 degree cook first then blast technique, interesting.

Last edited by baddbob; 01-06-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM
point on positive

Try the #60 grit regular old sand from your local garden supply.

It works the best with the common lower presure home stlye set ups.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I just paid a guy $750 to blast the paint off my fiberglass bodied project car. He used baking soda.

P Mac
Old 01-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Last journal entry: 63 split window Corvette RESTOROD

I also recently bought a sand blast cabinet.....did some research on what media to use....and what not to use.....each person needs to make up their mind what risks they are willing to take....in my case my deal with my significant other is that I will outlive her....she already buried one husband because of cancer....I intend to honor my commitment....that means I take no chances.....

So I bought a HEPA dual cartridge face mask which is good for filtering out particulate media 99.97% (purple cartridges), will always use it when using the cabinet regardless of what media I am using....bought glass beads as well as oxide abrasive.....got all of the stuff at Tractor Supply....the media was less than $25 for 40 or 50 pounds....

Do a search with Google.....you can draw your own conclusions about the health risks associated with sand when it fractures due to impact or high shear and getting into your lungs.......
Old 01-13-2006, 12:03 PM

Last journal entry: 63 split window Corvette RESTOROD

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Mac
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I just paid a guy $750 to blast the paint off my fiberglass bodied project car. He used baking soda.

P Mac
he used baking soda because it is not as harsh on the fiberglass....that last thing you want when blasting a glass car is to have the glass fibers to start protruding because they have been freed up....then you have a real mess on your hands.....by the way, that is a fair price....did he also do the underneath?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in