What Line to Use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

What Line to Use?

Hey there everyone,

Ive been lurking around for a while taking in the wealth of knowledge but this is my first post. I've been fixing up and customizing anything with wheels for as long as I can remember. I am at my happiest when tearing deep into the heart of a new project. Up until now I've always done projects that didn't need/already had nice paint and body work but I'm looking to change all of that.

Recently I picked up one of my favourite trucks, f100 unibody, that I want to do a complete resto mod to. Going to completely strip it down and make it mine from the first bolt. Ive been beefing up my knowledge in body work and paint technique but one thing I cannot decide/dont really understand yet is what brand and line to go with for sealers, primers, bases, and clears. Just so much out there and I'm having trouble with the ups and downs of each.

I have access to all major brands and price is not a huge issue but this also isn't going to be a museum piece. I just want a proven great system, one that isn't a PITA to get the hang of spraying nice (I know I'll still have to put in the time with practice), and one that when done right on my part will produce an awesome paint job that will last.

A little more info:
-I am in southern Alberta
- temp will range from 20-30 C (68-86 f)
- Humidity is dry to moderate
-Will be buying guns/tips to match
-I am not against mixing brands if its known fact that they play nice

Should I even be looking at water borne or is solvent still the way to go?

I would love to hear your suggestions and if possible specific products/numbers that id need to get going. Thank you in advance and I apologize if many of these are dumb beaten to death questions, understand that I am very green to all this.

Cheers,
Scott

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum

On the waterborne part, you may want to check around at the shops local to your area and see what is "legal". I have ehard both good and bad about the waterborne products, but have no experience with them personally. As for epoxy, urethane 2k primer, sealer, and clear coats (even base coat or single stage paint if they ahve a color you like) I use and highly recommend SPI (as does most of the pro's on this board).

Home

Pugsy123 is a member here from Canada and can probably give you the Canadian supplier to avoid any shipping issues. If you are wanting a specific color other than the one's SPI offers, I currently use Standox, but had good results from PPG Deltron lines in the past as well. Glasurit and R-M are a few other companies with quality products that come to mind as well. We do have a vendor on the site (thecoatingstore) that has some pretty nice pricing, but I have not used any of his products so I will not comment good or bad. If you have any other questions along the way you will find all the information in the world here in one little site. Best wishes

Kelly
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the reply Kelly! I had read a lot about the SPI products and heard nothing but good things, but as with most car goodies that are easy to get in the states (might be a touch envious) I figured it'd be difficult and not very cost effective to get in the great white north. I will definitely have to get in contact with pugsy to find a supplier.

Also from what I've read Deltron is PPG's top of the line? What made you switch from it to the standox?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 PM

I switched to the standox because of customer service reasons. I had used the PPG deltron line for almost 8 years with no problems, but the suppliers customer service and over all attitude was trash and I finally had enough. The other supplier in my area is DuPont/Standox/Nason. I feel standox is of the same quality as the Deltron and so far have been impressed with the coverage I get from the standox, but it also mixes differently than the Deltron, so that may be the difference. I was using all PPG products until I tried SPI, now I use all SPI except for base (and I will use SPI base when the opportunity presents itself). I do know SPi is available in Canada because there are several members here using it, not sure what is involoved in getting across the border though. Pugsy is in Markham, ON and uses a supplier for SPI
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what...ml#post2289770

Maybe that will help?

Kelly
Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 AM

Well I thank you for your help good sir, after your suggestion narrowing it down to SPI (didn't know where to start with all the brands) I did a bunch of reading and I must say I haven't seen many products so widely accepted as being awesome.

Also reading into all the info of all the SPI products cleared up a ton of questions on flash times, sanding, spraying etc. I sent Doug and email and and will hopefully be all set up with SPI soon enough for everything but base.

Tomorrow I'll give my local PPG dealer a call and see what the quality of service is like. If everything is up to snuff then ill go with PPG deltron (or other PPG line), if the service is lacking then I'll start looking at the next brand.
The Following User Says Thank You to UnibodyScotty For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 AM

You are more than welcome. Glad I could help. Also if you have any questions about the proper use of SPI products you can also call the tech line and talk to Barry the owner to hear the facts from the horses mouth. I recommend sticking with the deltron line of ppg, the omni and shopline brands have been known to be problematic especially with metallic colors. For the most part deltron is user friendly and priced along with the other majors top brands. If PPG jobber doesn't workout for you post the other local brands and I will try to list them in order of my preference for what little that is worth lol

If I can offer any further help feel free to post or pm me.

Kelly
Old 04-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnibodyScotty View Post

Tomorrow I'll give my local PPG dealer a call and see what the quality of service is like. If everything is up to snuff then ill go with PPG deltron (or other PPG line), if the service is lacking then I'll start looking at the next brand.
Out of curiosity let us know what PPG lines are available in your area. Environmental Canada's rules are essentially the same as Southern California where low VOC primers, single stage, basecoat, and clearcoat is required. Most repair lines have a water-borne and low VOC solvent line. We find most people doing restoration type work prefer the solvent based product...good luck

Will
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoatingStore View Post
Out of curiosity let us know what PPG lines are available in your area. Environmental Canada's rules are essentially the same as Southern California where low VOC primers, single stage, basecoat, and clearcoat is required. Most repair lines have a water-borne and low VOC solvent line. We find most people doing restoration type work prefer the solvent based product...good luck

Will
Yeah of course I'll let you know what options come up! It will have to be next week however, I am currently in finals for university and thought it'd be best to wait so I don't get distracted. Cannot wait to get started on this truck and its taking every ounce of my will power to keep studying.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah of course I'll let you know what options come up! It will have to be next week however, I am currently in finals for university and thought it'd be best to wait so I don't get distracted. Cannot wait to get started on this truck and its taking every ounce of my will power to keep studying.
Scotty, I had a nice 10 year college career and all those finals are good for is ruining your grade no matter what you do. You're telling me you're going to take a week to adequately prepare yourself to remember EVERYTHING you just learned in that semester for ALL your classes?? Yeah, that was BS I spent one evening for each class cruising through notes and then the rest was play with girls time My strategy was maintain a good grade through the semester so when I tank the final it won't affect me much. The best was in a biochemistry class in grad school, I was acing these tests left and right, then it came time for the final and I just killed it. So bad I thought 'Dr. B is going to wonder what happened.' Well I get the test back, and written right there on the front: 'what happened!?' I graduated with honors so I guess it worked for me. And like you, I had a Mustang that was waiting for me to finish school. 5 years later that stupid car is still ruining my life.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
Scotty, I had a nice 10 year college career and all those finals are good for is ruining your grade no matter what you do. You're telling me you're going to take a week to adequately prepare yourself to remember EVERYTHING you just learned in that semester for ALL your classes?? Yeah, that was BS I spent one evening for each class cruising through notes and then the rest was play with girls time My strategy was maintain a good grade through the semester so when I tank the final it won't affect me much. The best was in a biochemistry class in grad school, I was acing these tests left and right, then it came time for the final and I just killed it. So bad I thought 'Dr. B is going to wonder what happened.' Well I get the test back, and written right there on the front: 'what happened!?' I graduated with honors so I guess it worked for me. And like you, I had a Mustang that was waiting for me to finish school. 5 years later that stupid car is still ruining my life.
Haha I mean I've got a week of finals! One every day for the next five, so my plan is to do the one night for each but its still got me tied up, told them girlies and that truck they'd have to wait. I think the real message here however is if you're in engineering don't buy a resto project right before finals.

And hey if that mustangs still ruining your life five years later I don't think its got much to do with the mustang
Old 04-29-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Haha I mean I've got a week of finals! One every day for the next five, so my plan is to do the one night for each but its still got me tied up, told them girlies and that truck they'd have to wait. I think the real message here however is if you're in engineering don't buy a resto project right before finals.

And hey if that mustangs still ruining your life five years later I don't think its got much to do with the mustang
You don't have to tell me about finals week. My Mustang project is still going strong 5 years later, I don't get much time to work on it, and when I do it's a pain in the ***. Just lots of stupid ****.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in