What is the maximum humidity for painting? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 04:07 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Wiki Edits: 0

What is the maximum humidity for painting?

I seem to have ran into a problem..... the weather!! I live in good Ole Louisville Kentucky, and it is notorious for lots of humidity... lots. Anyways I have been waiting to finish up this job for a teenager, car is prepped, jams are shot and taped off, but the weather is not permitting, and I really dont like leaving tape on fresh paint ( the jams).
I was once told by a painter not to paint above 57% humidity unless in a controlled environment. I don't have a paint booth, and have had great success in the past painting cars/trucks at the garage door edge first thing in the morning. I always seem to have less dirt/junk in the paint, versus painting in my garage.
Right now the temp is like 82 which is not the problem, but the humidity is 44%, as the night approaches the humidity will continue to increase all the way to 84% with a temp of 64 by 5am. It will not drop until noon, at which time the sun is beaming on my garage door.... were I paint.... see my dilemma??
What is the max humidity I can paint in? I know I will need a hot reducer.
It is a pearl paint job, so it is going to take some time to get all 3 stages laid on it. I was hoping to base it tonight and finish it in the morning, but as I look at the weather forecast things look bad.
Someone give me the max numbers regarding temp and humidity if you will please or any advice to get this job done and out of my garage.

Thanks

BK

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2005, 04:14 PM

I don't think the new paints are as affected by humidity as the older lacquers and enamels. Down here in southeast Texas if we waited for humidity below 57% we would never get to paint. I was told by a painter one time that he liked to paint when it was raining. He said it kept down the dust...I almost choked.

Vince
Old 05-10-2005, 05:42 PM
KING OF BONDO

Man, I painted one time when the humidity was really high, I think it had rained the day b4 and was using good products... PPG DBU 9700, well anyways I based the truck in a garage with the door closed, came back in an hour or two and it was all nice and milky white for me ( trapped moisture).... the base color was black I knew better than to do it I was just in a hurry which led to allot more work. At least the box was off the truck so I did not have to re-sand it. I have only seen one vehicle painted while raining in a typical garage with the door crack for ventilation that did not soak up the moisture.

I am looking for any "tricks" or methods that allow you to paint in this type of environment without the "normal" problems that would occur, as well a max for humidity.

Vince do you feel there is not a limit these days with urethane's? If so, how do we explain what happened to the truck I spoke of many years ago? Just trying to learn as I am getting back into this after many years layoff.

BK

Old 05-10-2005, 05:59 PM

To explain the truck is very simple. First black base or single stage is your slowest drying color and one of two things happened you either did not give the base long enough flash times between coats or you were using two fast a reducer for the temp and you trapped solvents in the base and thats the only two reasons it can blush. (a low grade reducer with a high water content would be third)

Like Vince said we could paint one day a year if it had to be 50%. Its been drizzling on and off and I just shot a bunch of parts in black for the vette and not a problem. Temp may have been 80-85 90% hum. But used a slow reducer.

Let base flash longer and use proper grade activator for clear and your in business. My base was flashing around 30 minutes between coats.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:29 PM

during summer months here in new jersey the humidity is 95 -100% all the time and i know it gets the same down there in georgia where barry is since i lived down there for about 3 years. when the humidity is up do just as barry said, go up on the reducer temp. fast reducer will flash off so fast it will make the paint surface cold and form condensation in the paint making it milky. like a cold glass of water on a summer day.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:54 PM
KING OF BONDO

Thanks guys, I appreciate the explanation allot. Man I wish I had known that, and i would have painted this thing already. I will get some slower reducer and allow for long flash times.
On that truck I did, I am sure after now knowing, that I did not let it flash nearly long enough. I have always shot a whole car/truck, and by the time I got around to where I started I would start over... maybe 15 minutes or so.

When I base the car in the morning i will wait 30 minutes between coats after I spray the last panel. That should take care of that issue.

Thanks allot again boys, ya'll made my day much better as well as my future jobs easier. This board is outstanding

BK
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done

I'm still amazed as to WHY we get in such a hurry when painting??
It's like we got to get it done as SOON as possible or our lives end if we don't.
I'm just as bad and my big problem is,
NOTHING to do between shoot's except WAIT.
I don't want to get something else going and don't want to be going in & out the shop letting in trash and getting dust on my suite,ect. So I WAIT.
Could go to the frige and open some cool beverage but you KNOW what that leads to... MORE work or having to pit stop half way thru the clear.
Guess I need to get the satellite cable out to the shop and watch some tube.

SOME base's do dry quickly and are ready as soon as you blast on the last area,the first is ready to go.
It dosen't hurt to wait even an hour as you do have a 24hr window generally.
Besides, I like to wait and be able to tack off before the next coat.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 PM
KING OF BONDO

I guess we are all like impatient children when it comes right down to it Bee, I have a lazyboy in the shop so I can set and wait,.... but it is like the paint is calling me to lay more on. I used to be real bad at how much clear I would lay down. I have spent allot of time around ole timers and they would say if the clear does not run.. you did not put enough on, stuff like that etc...
Since getting back into this ( the last 3 weeks lol) I have had more patience, but...... I have had such an itchy tigger finger the last few days. It is perhaps that sense of accomplishment when you finish, step back, and look at what most people could never do, nor want to, that makes us rush to the finish line.

You know after I found out what was going on earlier I went out to the garage and shot some small pieces ( flip up headlights, tail lights,etc..) to test the waters for myself. Everything went fine, so I am ready for the morning.... sucks I have to wait for the paint store to open since I dont have any fast reducer left over from the last time I had painted anything, I have 4 gallons of medium lol.. I will post some pics up on the sight when I get it finished

BK
Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 AM

Really the clear is the only thing you need to worry about running. The base is so very forgiving that in order to get a run you have to pause your gun in one position. I have been trying something a little different with my clear on some smaller pieces that seems to minimize or in some case eliminate runs. The first coat of clear I lay on is something short of what I would call a wet coat. I let that first coat sit for a minimum of 30 minutes before applying additional coats. The additional coats can then be layed on wet with a reduced risk of running since the first coat has had some time to set up. I hate to admit it, but I saw this technique on one of the chopper shows, I think it may have been Dave Pierowitz(sp).

Vince
Old 05-11-2005, 05:06 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers

BONDOKING: I too live in Louisville, you're right about the humidity but
I goota tell you, it hasn't made a difference for me with basecoat/clearcoat.
I too love to paint when it's raining, I have waited for a rainy day just to
paint. I also don't have a paint booth and paint in my garage, my best
bug free and dust free jobs are when I paint on a rainy day, I prefer it.
Now when I spray cabinets with lacquer (I'm also a woodworker) it's a
different story. I still paint on humid or rainy days but I usually add a little
retarder in the paint, otherwise I'll get a milky clear for sure.
But I've never had that problem with urethane clear, but I usually
spray with a slower reducer than recommended, maybe that's why.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
...you either did not give the base long enough flash times between coats... My base was flashing around 30 minutes between coats.
Barry, along this line, is there a maximum for flash time between coats? For example, If I wanted to be SURE my coats were flashing enough, would it hurt to double or triple the recommended times?

Russ
Old 05-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Barry, along this line, is there a maximum for flash time between coats? For example, If I wanted to be SURE my coats were flashing enough, would it hurt to double or triple the recommended times?

Russ
With PPG DBU and DBC you can go as long as 24 hours between coats. Beyond that you must scuff the surface for additional coats.

Vince
Old 05-11-2005, 04:26 PM
KING OF BONDO

Got all the base on today! It took awhile though, as I was laying on the second coat one neoghbor started cutting his grass.... finished up and let it dry for about an 1.5 hours because my other neighbor started cutting her grass as well. I was hoping to put the pearl on today and let it set b4 clearing tomorrow... looks like I will just wait until the morning to do both.

Vince regarding the clear, I have never liked the look of my final coat if I lay down the clear peppery as many suggest you should do it, I have found if I lay it down like I want it to look the first time, with in reason now, the 2nd and 3rd coats get deeper and take on the mirror finish. I am not one who likes orange peel, nor do I like spending all the time it takes to sand with 2000# buff etc... I hate buffing.... really, I have done it allot over the years, and I would much rather stay away from it if I can...lol . Of course painting in the garage is going to have me dusting off the ole buffer again I know
I guess everyone does it different to a degree, but I have tried the light coat followed by heavier coats later Vince and just did not like the finish. I appreciate the info bro

Jc its been a warm day brother, I am waiting for one of the neighbors to fire up a street cleaner next or something man. Where you at in louisville bro? Im off I-65 Brooks exit

BK

BK

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in