what paint to use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 06:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what paint to use?

I am restoring a 1951 Desoto. I have some rustoleum laying around and wanted to know peoples experience with it. I have heard both good and bad reviews of it. I personally found it slow drying and pretty weak. Is there any paint I can get for around $50 at somewhere like home depot or sherwin williams that would be better and last longer? I am going to be painting the engine bay and underside of the car. Any help, advice, tips, personal experience, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

This a decent paint, a little better than rustoleum in my opinion. I would not put it on a restoration type project, but for a temporary fix, or something less expensive it works pretty well. I have used it on a few parts stands I have at the shop that sit outside when not in use, and an equipment trailer that always sits outside. Mix in 2oz of enamel hardener per quart and it holds up pretty well. Check with your local jobbers, I can buy it locally for around $35 a gallon. It is ready to spray, shake/stir and mix in 2 ounces of harder per quart (when you are ready to spray the quart), and stir it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frame-Black-...5209e4&vxp=mtr

I should add that since you are restoring your car, you know what your expectations are. I posted this link since you asked for something in the $50 range. In my opinion, this is probably the best paint you can buy in that price range, but I strongly suggest using a quality product on your car. I understand that sometimes our budget gets in the way of what we want to do, but if you are going to do all of this work to restore you car, you only want to do it once.

Kelly

Last edited by carolinacustoms; 02-17-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: clarification
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
desotolewis (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM

i am going to apologize ahead of time for possibly opening a can of worms. I am a young guy (18) and just want the advice of people that I know are much more experienced in the field of cars and paints.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

No need for an appology, you will never learn if you don't ask. I hope my reply did not seem harsh. Could you maybe provide a little more information on your level of restoration and your expectations when finished? I only ask because complete nut and bolt restorations can get rather costly. Are you taking the car off the frame, or cleaning, replacing the necessary parts, and repainting? A little more information on what your plans are, what you expect to have when finished and the total budget would help us all in providing you with the most complete and accurate information.

Kelly
Old 02-17-2014, 07:01 PM

i am going to apologize ahead of time for possibly opening a can of worms. I am a young guy (18) and just want the advice of people that I know are much more experienced in the field of cars and paints. I've decided to try my hardest to pick up hours at my job and save up. In that case what would be the best underbody/ engine bay paint for a reasonable price ($100 + or - $50)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Just a few options available:
epoxy primer $140.00 per mixed gallon (2 qt primer/2 qt activator)
black single stage urethane $? (check with your local jobber)
Chassis saver $112 gallon

On the lower end:
Frame black $55 gallon
Valspar $45 gallon
Rustoleum $40 gallon
Add about $10 to each of the lower paint prices for hardener. Add 2 ounces of hardener per quart before use to make it more durable. Hope this helps a little?

Also if this car will be driven often, consider using a bedliner product on the under body and frame for protection, and sound deadening. Tehre are several kits on the market in the $100 range.

Kelly
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 PM

I am replacing the necessary parts stripping back rust and old undercoating then going to paint. I plan on it being a driver not a trailer queen but I do still want it to look at least good enough to take to car shows and drives and be proud of it. I have a nice dupont black laquer for the body I just don't know about using it on the underbody just for the sake of not wasting it.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

For chassis, engine bay, and suspension parts, this is the best I've found so far, and well within your price range...the kit is around $70 which includes a primer, top coat, hardener and reducer. The kit is all the way at the bottom if you scoll down.

AG111/Tractorkote

I didn't use it on my engine bay...I didn't know about it at the time. I had just used Bill Hirsch black chassis spray can on my engine bay over Sikkens 1k wash primer on metal, and the BH chassis black looks as good today as it did the day I sprayed it...which was Oct. 21 2009.

However, all my suspension is also painted with it and the suspension is starting to get some nasty rust breaking through....and my car has only sat in the shop the entire time for the duration of the restoration. So I got the AG111 for the suspension.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
desotolewis (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

Paint for first project

I have looked around at the latest selection of paint and the cheapest I could find that you could still call automotive paint was a single stage paint sold at Summit Racing. I have used this as well as the big name paints and I can tell you that it was a good paint, not quit as smooth as the high dollar paint, but I made it all good in the end with a lot of cutting and buffing. Much more durable than a cheaper line of paint. You can order a color chart from them to get a better idea of what the color will look like. Don't go by the color sample on your computer screen or you will be disappointed. Be sure to shoot paint on several test panels with different gun settings and air pressures to get the best finish before you paint the car. The color itself can determine the cost. White may be the cheapest. Remember to get a professional finish you will need more than the paint. You will need to buy some epoxy primer and 2K high build primer as well, and a lot of sandpaper and some body filler. If this is your first rodeo, buy a book on how to paint your own car, check out the you tube videos and practice on trash cans and what ever else you can find around the shop before you paint the car. You can also check out the search function on this site for a lot of information on painting.

I know money can get tight but you will be looking at the paint job more than anything else on the car so you want that to look nice and last a long time. If you do it right you will have a lot of time in the preparation.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 AM
Nostalgic Racing Decals

Last photo:

Hot Rod Man

I want to thank you for offer your advice on paint and primer.

There are many of us who have daily drivers and who want a nice paint job but are not every going to spend the type of money I see guys spending on custom paint jobs.

I have a friend who spend well over $10,000 dollars and yes the work is beautiful but the costs today are really a little crazy and unless you are looking for the Riddler Award the average guy just wants a nice shinny paint job for his daily driver.

Thanks Again. Jimbo

Tags
desoto, frame, help wanted, paint, rustoleum

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in