What is the year/value of this powerglide - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What is the year/value of this powerglide

The number on the pan of my cast aluminum PG says C9D18N I've tried to Google it but I can't seem to make sense of it. Can anyone just tell me what I have? Or if its worth anything? TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_025003_1568618311401.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	447583  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 AM
Purists Hate Me

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Wiki Edits: 29

Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,176 Posts
Core, $100 - $200.00.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Magazines have “ISSUES”

Last journal entry: Looks good

2 speed drag racers like em

Pep

Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 PM
True Hotrodder

1.76 glides are favored by drag racers, while the 1.82 is preferred by the midwest oval guys. The 1.82 is a bit weak and doesn't hold up to hard hits as well as the 1.76 does. So it really depends on the gearset it has - if someone just needs a case or hard parts - probably $75-$100. A little more if it's a 1.76 and operational.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Are powerglide shifter covers/boots universal? I need a replacement for mine...
Old 09-16-2019, 11:26 PM
Burnt out transmission tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyekneec10 View Post
The number on the pan of my cast aluminum PG says C9D18N I've tried to Google it but I can't seem to make sense of it. Can anyone just tell me what I have? Or if its worth anything? TIA
Number on the pan means diddly squat. Pans fit any aluminum PG..
Old 09-17-2019, 08:06 PM

IF the pan is original, then this is the breakdown: First of all, you're missing the FIRST two letters before the "C". They would be, TB denoting a 1.82 first gear, YH a 1.76 first gear. The "C" is for the Cleveland plant. the "9" would be 1971, the year of manufacture, followed by "D" for April (month made), then 18 would be the day on the month, and finally N, for Night shift. All you need to do now is figure out which planetary you have, 1.82 or 1.76. I gauge what they're worth on how DIRTY they are; Powerglides are leakers, and the the rear of the case tends to get hotter, and the crud gets baked on; makes it hard to clean by hand. I NEVER give more than $25.00 for a core (most I get for free). ALL my personal drag cars, one door car, a FED, and a RED, had 1.82 first gear units, and I NEVER had any problem with them. Maybe I was just lucky (???). There you go.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Mark Goulette

I've never paid more than $50 for a core, and these days I won't even buy one, I build them from new parts including an SFI case. For drag racing, a 1.82 stock gearset is pretty much junk. Anybody making any real power will kill it very quickly. The 1.76 gear sets hold up decently under moderate hp levels and lighter cars, but when you really start making power, aftermarket sets are the only smart way to go. I've seen the 1.76's survive in 800 hp applications, but they don't last long......another issue is the case itself....they are decades old and have been known to crack or break....

That being said, a stock case glide with the 1.76 gearset, PROPERLY assembled with some upgrades can last a long while in many applications. A version with a 1.82 gearset can as well as long as the power is limited and the trans isn't abused.

If it's your intent to keep it, get the book from Carl Monroe on power glides, it's money well spent. If you're going to sell it, take it to a local or nearby track, ask $200 or best offer, and you'll likely walk away with and easy $50-150 in your pocket pretty quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to predator carb guru For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (09-21-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 01:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior stocker View Post
IF the pan is original, then this is the breakdown: First of all, you're missing the FIRST two letters before the "C". They would be, TB denoting a 1.82 first gear, YH a 1.76 first gear. The "C" is for the Cleveland plant. the "9" would be 1971, the year of manufacture, followed by "D" for April (month made), then 18 would be the day on the month, and finally N, for Night shift. All you need to do now is figure out which planetary you have, 1.82 or 1.76. I gauge what they're worth on how DIRTY they are; Powerglides are leakers, and the the rear of the case tends to get hotter, and the crud gets baked on; makes it hard to clean by hand. I NEVER give more than $25.00 for a core (most I get for free). ALL my personal drag cars, one door car, a FED, and a RED, had 1.82 first gear units, and I NEVER had any problem with them. Maybe I was just lucky (???). There you go.
Have not IDed enough PGs to know the exact number breakdown, but based on those I have IDed, I am not sure the 9D means April 1971. Rather I am inclined to think it is April 1969.

Also, I have seldom seen TB on the pan and have never seen YH, even though I have owned thousands of PGs over the last 40 years. Does not mean you are wrong, just means I have never seen them.

I have also seen numbers like T 04 11D, T02 19N, etc. stamped on pans. No clue how they break down.

As for finding ratio, all one needs to do is to pull the input shaft and measure it. 12-5/8" is 1.76 ratio, 12-13/16" is 1.82 ratio.

Final note. Cores in this neck of the woods go for around $50 each if one can find a buyer. I quit buying them years ago because they are so hard to sell. A month ago I was given 4 completes and 7 partials. Scrapped the partials. Found a buyer at $50 each for the completes. First PG cores I have been able to flip in years.

Last edited by mmerlinn; 09-24-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Global Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: 1962 Morris Minor 1000
Wiki Edits: 1659

If you have an OEM aluminum powerglide with 27 spline output shaft:

Measure the diameter of the output shaft splines with a caliper for gear ratio

1.82 ratio: 1.155 diameter

1.76 ratio : 1.170 diameter

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in