"Whatdidja make?" - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 04:43 PM

Last journal entry: Cleaning and Powder coat
Wiki Edits: 0

Time to liven this one up a bit, because I just finished my little garage project.

I hotrodded an old craftsman leaf blower frame and made it into a welding cart, mostly for the wheels and handle.

I used one of those SK metal tool boxed became obsolete when I got my roll around ts a place to store contact tips, nozzles, sheet metal clamps.

The bottle clamp is from a piece of chain and hooks that someone was giving a way because they couldn't sell it at a yard sale.

Cost me about $25 in materials (the biggest fraction of which at $8 was for the front casters)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welding cart (1).JPG
Views:	529
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	7289   Click image for larger version

Name:	welding cart (2).JPG
Views:	506
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	7290   Click image for larger version

Name:	welding cart (6).JPG
Views:	669
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	7291  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 12:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Wiki Edits: 11

Something it always annoyed me not to have, a cam bearing tool. I could never justify the price of one for how rarely I needed one but it always griped to have to leave cam bearings for the machine shop.
My father in law gifted me with his old lathe when he retired. Actually an old an tired lathe but... I immediately started hunting something do with it. I had an odd length of 5/8" allthread laying around...Found some big hunks of round mild steel and away I went. I couldn't beg or borrow the correct tool to go by so it was sort of guesswork. I did have a could of old blocks and a new set of cam bearings to go by though.Tricky turning the mandrels to just the right size so the bearings would fit snugly but not so tight that they might be scarred. I had to make an extra mandrel for bearing removal and I made another to be a "guide" for the allthread to enter the block straight. All mandrels except the guide I threaded. In use a mandrel is threaded on to where I want and locked down by a nut. After use all mandrels are put on the allthread, secured by a nut and the whole thing stashes neatly away. So far I've replaced the bearings on two engines and it's worked great. I did discover my allthread was a bit short for use on a straight six. Easy enough to do the rear two bearings from the rear though. Dunno about taking a pic, it's just a threaded rod with some round steel pieces on it. I spent exactly nothing making it though.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:02 PM

Last journal entry: Regrouping

First is a jackstand I made. I needed to remove the axle from my '66 F100 and didn't have a stand tall enough to touch the frame. I used some receiver stock and the appropriate 2" square to make these tall stands. I wanted the solid base so that they can be used in the dirt or asphalt without sinking in. Now, I just need to drill the holes to make them adjustable.

Second picture is a lifting bracket I made. It's like the ones you bolt to carb pads and lift. This one is long so that I could lift Ford EFI engines. It's drilled for 4bbl, 2bbl, stock EFI Ford and Edelbrock EFI Ford. I could add more combos too if needed.

Last picture is my newest addition to combat the Louisiana heat and humidity. It came down out of my attic. It is the squirrel cage blower from an old gas furnace/heater. This thing will blow some air. I need to put castors on it and build a guard for the belt before it snags my pants leg as I walk by.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0745.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	7299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.JPG
Views:	703
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	7300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.JPG
Views:	732
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	7301  

Old 10-14-2005, 04:29 AM
Self-made nobody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR66Ford
Last picture is my newest addition to combat the Louisiana heat and humidity. It came down out of my attic. It is the squirrel cage blower from an old gas furnace/heater. This thing will blow some air. I need to put castors on it and build a guard for the belt before it snags my pants leg as I walk by.
That is way "cool" and I can state through experience that it is a great idea.

About a decade ago I purchased (for $10) a very similar unit from an elderly maintenance man who worked at my place of employment. He mounted an electric motor on the fan/blower housing and a drive belt (just as you have done) and he mounted the whole assembly on an angle iron frame with castor wheels at each of the four corners. The thing runs super-quiet and blows a mega-volume of air! With the castor wheels it can be easily moved around and aimed in any direction.

The only drawback (if it could be called that) to the unit is that it blows air at ground level so it cannot be aimed upward without some sort of prop under the wheels. But, for someone working under a vehicle it is ideal. We used it at work to circulate air, and attempt to cool, the inside of railroad boxcars and it did a stellar job.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:10 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro

Easy solution. Make a spoiler for the outlet to direct the air upwards. It can be as simple as riviting a piece of sheetmetal on the outlet bottom, or you can get tricky and make a hinged plate with slots for adjustment.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:19 PM

Last journal entry: 65 mustang 351w efi

I took an electric clutch from a old delco a\c comp. mounted it on a
vacum cleaner handle,hooked the vacum cleaners cord to a switch on the handle. It works great for them times that you knock over a container of
screws or drop a little E-clip. Also after shingling a house. Just hook up to a battery, when it is full hold it over a bucket and turn the switch off. The
magnet will pick up a 15" crescent
I also have a drawer full of homemade special tools, when you live 30 miles from anywhere you learn to get creative, since they would probably have to order it anyway
Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 AM

Last journal entry: Regrouping

I have since built a wooden frame with castors on it. I hinged the back of the blower down to the frame and I can stick a variety of size wood blocks under the front to aim it up. I think I need to change the motor out though, this one is over 50 years old and it heats up after about an hour of use and trips its internal thermal overload. Takes awhile to cool down before it'll start back up again.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:28 AM
Self-made nobody.

[QUOTE=JR66Ford]I have since built a wooden frame with castors on it. I hinged the back of the blower down to the frame and I can stick a variety of size wood blocks under the front to aim it up.QUOTE]

That'll work.

The unit I have works great but to direct the airflow I need to prop the rear castor wheels up on wood blocks or some other suitable item so that the airstream blows where desired. Whether that specific need is required or not, it still blows major air in a quiet and efficient manner.

This is a great do-it-yourself way to circulate air for cooling or any other desire... like drying out a flooded area or some such necessity.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:45 PM

Well, I took Mag's suggestion. I had a piece of angled steel with holes in it. I slotted every other hole and mounted the strip to the side of my shelf right above my compressor and hung all my air tools on it.

Here is a discarded fan I mounted on my garage door support. The base of the fan had broke. I just held it up to the support and figured out where the existing bolts mounted. Marked those places on the fan post, drilled it, and bolted it up. It oscilates too. I see people throwing these away all the time because the base is usually the first thing to break.

I put coat hooks in the wall beside the garage door track and mounted my helmets. Notice the orange metal flake Arther Fuller i picked up at a thrift store for $1.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	7947   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	7948   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	7949  
Old 11-21-2005, 07:49 PM

One more. This is a tool caddy I built out of scrap wood. So far I have a place for my air file, speedblaster, and hvlp. Not sure if what I will add next. Very handy to grab from when I need something.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	7950  
Old 11-22-2005, 06:36 AM

mi2600, mines bigger than yours!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	it's bigger.jpeg
Views:	529
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	7956  
Old 11-24-2005, 09:16 PM
jbon64

i saw a few questions about grinder stands . i work for a cable tv company and jumped at the chance to snag a post used for a dish (not a DTV dish, a real honest to goodness commercial 20ft dish ) . it has 3/8 thick 18"x18" square base and an 8" x 1/4 thick pipe , i cut it at a 40" height and mounted my grinder and belt sander on it . i also break down the reels the conduit is rolled up on . they are made from 1 1/2 square tube , the company that supply's the conduit doesnt take the reels back in trade , so you can imagine my joy when i walked up to see the boss scratching his head wondering how the heck are we gonna get rid of this stuff . i have made all kinds of stuff from those reels . right now i'm in the process of making an engine run stand .
Old 11-25-2005, 01:24 AM
DETAILING GOD

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Wiki Edits: 38

Hey Y'all
I'll try to keep it to the short...

About 7 years ago I worked for a place that I had the artistic freedom and a really stoned out boss man that afforded me the opportunity to do stuff like this,

The problem was that he owned a retirement Mobile home park and had no way to move the trailers into or out of the park since there way paved road and un paved.

meaning a Mobile home toter would get stuck in the sugar sand and a bull dozer isn't good for pavement....... NO ONE with in 250 mile radius had such a thing.

So I invented, designed,engineered fabricated and constructed this monster.

( had to sell the Idea to the boss toT) not hard to do when he smoked the good stuff

So I had noticed when I did a repair the the back hoe detached off.
1971 case 580 CKB? BACK HOE /LOADER
so its a 12 Volt electric over hydraulic pump double push with a 4" bore 4' stroke detachable stinger .

In theory I knew it would work but there was about 15% of me that was unsure I thought the machine might wheelie and have to use the bucket for a counter weight but it would tote a 80' er no problem.

I made a his and hers receiver for the slide and I made a stand to put it on when not in use

These picture are the only ones left thanks to a virus on a old puter I thought they were gone for ever!!!

I Quit there shortly after because of health and money reasons and only got to use it a few times never got to paint it either never got to weigh it either.

I'd go back there and swallow my pride just to see if the didn't tare it up and leave it in the woods somewhere but I don't want to see it that bad.

Those numb nuts could screw up a wet dream..I got tired of performing miracles and being on call 24/7/365 about killed me those were the days of working 16 hours 7 days aweek .

I did alot of other stuff but dont remember right now...

But that was a real confidence builder but I always had this as my motto.

Now my custom stinger is preserved for ever on the net.

Any comments or questions?

SR66

Can anyone enhance these photos to bring up the details?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:21 AM

Fabbed the torch cart up recently, the blaster was a few years ago. I made my own cart because I have little space, some spare materials, and don't like chained down bottles (Sure I could have used a bungee cord to keep them from slopping around) (Posted this pic on another site too)

Now for a cutting / welding / chop saw table, a blast cabinet and some rolling and bending gear. etc, etc. Finish the truck?? oh yeah, I better get to that too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pict0157.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	8057  
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM

Heres a tool rack i made for my garden tools,And a place to put my air tools.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garage photos 008.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	8062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage photos 005.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	8063  

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in