What's a better fuel line to use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What's a better fuel line to use?

So for my project i'm considering 2 different things for my gas line.. I'm on a bit of a budget SO.. i was either considering getting a 25' spool of 1/2 aluminum fuel line.. Or like a 25' roll of the black rubber fuel line.. I was thinking that the aluminum might get a little hotter because it's a metal and all. I might just end up routing the line on the outside of the frame so this is not an issue, but i still need to figure out what to use.. SO which one would be a better idea to use? Also is corrosion a problem with gasoline and aluminum?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Aluminum. that much rubber line, you're asking for trouble. Alcohol was an issue with the rubber line a while back, but that has been solved. If you're routing on the outside of the framerail???????and you are involved in a side impact crash, what do you think is going to happen to that rubber line?
metal line , properly secured/mounted is the only way to do this one.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwell
If you're routing on the outside of the framerail???????and you are involved in a side impact crash, what do you think is going to happen to that rubber line?
metal line , properly secured/mounted is the only way to do this one.
STEEL line, properly secured and mounted, it the only way to do this one. Aluminum line may be accepted on the drag strip, but it's not much better than rubber in an impact. It is also much less resistant to abrasion and errant rocks than steel.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Aluminum, no way would I run that much rubber hose. I don't have any rubber hose in my fuel system at all. The only hose I have is from the metal fuel line from the tank to the mechanical fuel pump and that line is a stainless mess high pressure with AN fittings.

Vince
Old 07-12-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
STEEL line, properly secured and mounted, it the only way to do this one. Aluminum line may be accepted on the drag strip, but it's not much better than rubber in an impact. It is also much less resistant to abrasion and errant rocks than steel.
Absolutely STEEL. Go larger than stock.
Brake line with the proper couplings has worked for decades.
Keep your total rubber down to 12 inches..... total.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

I have not one piece of rubber for either my fuel or brake lines. They are either stainless or stainless flex line. There are other places to trim the budget but these two should be steel or stainless.

Dave W
Old 07-12-2008, 03:05 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Wiki Edits: 19

Steel is stronger but is going to be tougher to bend. Aluminum line will bend by hand, making it very easy to run. As others have said, it is still more susceptible to damage than steel is but if you find a way to protect it you should be fine. When I replumbed the fuel system in my Blazer I used aluminum and secured it to the inside of the frame rail. It is supported by several heavy duty rubber mounting clamps and is almost completely shielded from anything that may damage it.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I have not one piece of rubber for either my fuel or brake lines. They are either stainless or stainless flex line. There are other places to trim the budget but these two should be steel or stainless.

Dave W
Just to clarify, the stainless braid is simply an overbraid that protects the inner liner. This inner liner can be either rubber or teflon. I'm guessing that your braided fuel line has a rubber liner and your braided brake line has a teflon liner. Both the teflon liner and regular rubber brake hose is good for about 3,000 psi.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Joe said
"Just to clarify, the stainless braid is simply an overbraid that protects the inner liner. This inner liner can be either rubber or teflon. I'm guessing that your braided fuel line has a rubber liner and your braided brake line has a teflon liner. Both the teflon liner and regular rubber brake hose is good for about 3,000 psi."

That is correct Joe. The stainless braided fuel line is a length at the '32 style tank to the frame of my '31, from the frame to the fuel pump and from the engine mounted fuel pump to the filter then to the carb. The rest is 3/8" SS tubing. It is neoprene Aero-Quip line with AN fittings from several sources.

The brake lines are 3/16" SS with Russell DOT approved SS flex to the 4 Wilwood calipers. These are Teflon lined (and the calipers have speed bleeders as well )

Dave W
Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 AM
3rdmember

if you run 25' of rubber line,you're just plain nuts!
aside from vapor lock problems, there's the obvious...
aluminum would be better but clamp it down, it'll work harden and crack, same with copper or stainless, steel will too BUT it'll take more abuse in an accident (ever seen an oem app with anything BUT steel line?

3/8" minimum is what I put in but 5/16 will be ok if you're not making a bunch of power...
don't use any more rubber fuel line than you absolutly HAVE to...
Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 PM
bentwings

Aluminum is pretty cheap unless you go with AN or JIC fittings. Tie it down real well and it is ok. You will need a bender of some sort. I've used the spring benders with mixed results. I made a round wood plug mounted on a handle to help bend the aluminum tube with the spring overlay. Works ok. You will get a kink sometimes but just try not to make too many tight bends in one piece. For the AN fittings you will need a 37 deg flairing tool. They are about $35 and a good cut off tool.

I'd go with 3/8 steel brake line for most cars except blown or very high power ones that you really need the 1/2 in line.

The fuel lines will cost you more than you thought.

I like to say buy at least twice as much as you need and get extra couplings.

My last aluminum job I got 3 times what I needed and had to get more. I couldn't live with a minor kink...... even as kinky as I am . haha

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in