Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wheel clunking and brake squeal
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by yesgo
Sure, they move with the caliper... they have to. They are not supposed to move independantly of the caliper, or caliper bracket, thus the need for the clips and/or ears, varying according to design. If they are not cinched down on a GM, it is not a guaranteed rattle/squeak, just a possible one. If you show me a type of disc brake system which has no provisions for keeping the pad from rattling, it will be a new one on me, after several thousand brake jobs on domestic and foreign vehicles.
I'm not understanding just what you are saying.

Your other post read like you were saying the pads moved with the rotor until they stopped and that would make a clunk.

The pads ride on the rotor, there are two long bolts that hold them in place. The only way they can move is to clamp the rotor between them. If they are loose, there is something else wrong.

I understand the clunking noise to be going down the road and hitting bumps. which my first guess would be a bad ball joint. A shock would thump and rattle, but would not be a clunking noise.

You can modify the pads if they are solid surfaced, by taking a hack saw or cut off and cutting a grove a third of the way from each end of the pad top to bottom, about 1/2 of the way through the pad. This was in a service bulletin from GM in the early 70s.
I have done it many times and it works.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod