Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   where to buy SL oil (https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/where-buy-sl-oil-145525.html)

Don Meyer 09-23-2008 11:20 AM

where to buy SL oil

I am about to break-in a engine that was just overhauled & can not find any oil that is high in zinc & phos . The only oil I can find in central Florida is rated SM, which is not recommended for push rod engines.
Can anyone give me a source for a SL rated oil that is NOT synthetic.

Thanks Don

302 Z28 09-23-2008 11:57 AM

Try an oil that is for diesel engines. Rotella by Shell used to be the one to get, but I think they have reduced the zinc and cadmium levels in it. Valvoline racing oil still has the good stuff in it.

Another alternative is GM EOS now sold by AC Delco, P/N 10-106 is the new part number

Vince

barnym17 09-23-2008 01:36 PM

Autozone- house brand (yellow label ) is SL

matt167 09-23-2008 04:01 PM

Faimily Dollar and Oddlots around here sells Old stock Chevron oil that is SL...

The AMC oil from www.bulltear.com is loaded with zinc and phos, but at $53 per case, it is expensive

j.d.brown.042964 09-23-2008 04:05 PM

While it's not SL rating, instead it's earlier SE/SF rating- this inexpensive oil is the one I used (along with 2 small bottles STP) to break-in the cam on my 406 and it worked fine. I copied this from an earlier thread where I knew I'd posted the info before. Here it is: "The additive you refer to is Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate or ZDDP, and it can still be found in some racing oils and some oil additives in varying concentrations. Many good articles/threads with many links to others on this site. I've found an inexpensive oil at WalMart that is still formulated to SE/SF ASI ratings and contains between 1-5% ZDDP. It's called ACCEL brand and is made by Warren Petroleum Products of Omaha,Ne .
It is specifically stated as being for pre-1989 engines requiring antiwear additive package meeting API sevice standard SE, although the oil is actually rated as SF. STP oil treatment still carries some ZDDP in it as well, and even O'Reilly Auto Parts' private label oil additive is stated as containing ZDDP, although I couldn't personally tell you which of these {other brands} contain them in what amounts. I can tell you that the ACCEL brand oil at WalMart as I have found it, only comes as SAE10W-40 or SAE-30". Perhaps this might suffice for you as well, although as stated it is SE/SF and not SL. -Just tryin' to help.-Jim

matt167 09-23-2008 04:36 PM

I'm kind of weary of the Accell brand stuff, becuase only Walmart carries it.. I'd much rather spend the extra $ and get adatives or a racing oil or the AMC oil... the AMC oil is 15W40 but $53.99 per case of 12 and sold here http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=110 with the MSDS breakdown available on request

techinspector1 09-23-2008 05:49 PM

Hey Don, Don Shillady, PhD chemist on the other forum did some researching and found this product. He spoke with the CEO, got all the data sheets and determined that this is the best supplement for breaking in new cams. One quart delivered to my front door by UPS was $32.00. I used 2 ounces per quart of oil for initial break-in and 1 ounce per quart of oil thereafter. Works well and is affordable considering the alternative....
http://www.sfrcorp.com/product/9

I've used Castrol for decades. Currently I'm using GTX Diesel 15W-40 in my Ford 6-banger gas motor. API Service CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SL and SJ. I buy mine at Autozone.

squeeezer 09-23-2008 06:01 PM

theve taken out zinc and phosforus out of even diesel oils these days

its been about a year since ive seen rotella t that hasnt been stripped

valvoline vr1 oil has zddp they rescently reduced it though
im not sure but penzoil may have a racing formula oil with zddp

other than gm's eos addative there is also bg's m.o.a. has lots of zddp

Don Meyer 09-24-2008 01:14 PM

Thanks for the relies. I went to Family Dollar & big lots today & they had nothing. Autozones oil was rated SM. Looks like I will have to use the additive.
I would prefer to not use an additive because one is never sure what side effects they have...
If anyone finds SL oil please let us know.

Don

302 Z28 09-24-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Meyer
I would prefer to not use an additive because one is never sure what side effects they have...
If anyone finds SL oil please let us know.

Don

GM's EOS is time proven and completely safe, no problems associated with it at all. It is not a "snake oil" like some of the additives that claim to cure everything from cancer to hemorrhoids. It is a proven formulation of the same stuff that oil manufacturers add.

Vince

Don Meyer 09-24-2008 08:42 PM

Vince, I have 1 bottle of the original EOS left. I will add the bottle to the oil before I start it. I understand there is a new formulated EOS out now, but know nothing about it.
I know GM did not recommend using EOS with every oil change. I believe there was a problem with deposits.
I also have several cases of STP(red) that is high in ZDDP.

Don

302 Z28 09-24-2008 09:13 PM

That is correct about not using EOS with every oil change. When I was working at the local Chevy dealership in the mid seventies we always used a can of it when we overhauled an engine, replaced a camshaft, or even replaced a short block. It is an excellent additive for initial run in, but should not be used all the time. FWIW, I am not a big fan of STP.

Vince

ScoTFrenzel 09-24-2008 09:23 PM

A little research will show what IS NOT in STP, like it used to be.

Don Meyer 09-25-2008 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay...I use EOS to break-in the cam, dump the oil & filter then the problem returns. It looks like I have to use a supplement. Whish I could find someone that had the old SL oil, I'd but all they had.

Don

matt167 09-25-2008 08:41 AM

Don, STP red has the right amounts of ZDDP in it. the blue has reduced amounts ( and is still sold )...