Where do I start on on this 48 Ford?????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Wiki Edits: 1

Where do I start on on this 48 Ford??????

Two weeks ago I bought a 48 Ford Deluxe on Ebay that has rusted up brakes, a locked up transmission and a locked up Flat head V8. I want to sell the flat head, have already listed it in the local paper, and people have called on it. There is a guy who will buy the engine only if I can get it unstuck. I also need to get the brakes unfrozen, they are rusted solid and made it almost impossible to get it on my dads flatbed. My dad wants me to get it off the flatbed as soon as possible because he needs it in a week. The only way I can get it off right now is to hook it up to my dads 720 JD tractor and pull it off. The people who owned it before me pulled this thing out of a tree grove and busted up the front and rear suspension, I really don't want to do anymore damage right now. So where do I start, should I pull the heads off the flat head and fill them up with penetrating oil, or just pull the plugs and fill it up? Will squirting penetrating oil into the brake drums and tapping around the drums with a soft hammer free them up, or do I need to go another route? I just need to get it unloaded, parked, tarped and the engine freed up so I can sell it. I have to finish my 73 Mustang and sell it before I start this, so it is going to be my future hotrod in a year or two.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: 77 Ford
Wiki Edits: 5

Oil the crap out of the brakes....they should break loose with a bit of effort. Removing the wheels and hammering on the drums will help too.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Wiki Edits: 0

I hauled many out of the woods

Beat those drums good ... I use a copper mallet as a lug stud protector, and belt that with a hand sledge. I do all the lugs and don't be afraid to smack it good.

Can't hurt to try the diesel in the plug holes. The last stuck flathead I had was rusted so bad, and water froze in the bores and blew out one or more cylinders. No freeing up mine...it's in China

Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 PM

It was a real bear to get up on my dads flatbed. I started out by trying to wench it up with a 3 ton come along. The only thing it did was pull the truck, the flatbed back wards and pop the ramps off. We had to jack the car up, put pieces of wood under the tires, like skids and pull it up onto the flatbed with a 1 ton diesel truck. Even then it took three hours to get it loaded up and boomed down. Those brakes are frozen solid, but it hope with a lot of penetrating oil they will free up. I hate to tear up the undercarriage anymore by pulling it off with a tractor. One other thing, how do you get those rear drums off?????
Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Wiki Edits: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
One other thing, how do you get those rear drums off?????
Pull the wheels off and break the cast drums with a big ball peen hammer, you don't need them anyways.

Buy 5 gals of diesel and spray everything down, including the frame. Dump all the diesel you can down the intake and pull out the plugs and fill them up to. Well that's sitting go to the crankshaft Coalition Wiki attached to this Board and read an article there called, How to Free a Stuck Engine.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:09 PM

I have most of the flat head dissembled, five of the eight bores look good, three have some rust though it is minor and one chamber would either need bored .125 guesstimate or sleeved. I broke the front drum already trying to get it freed up. The funny thing is I just whacked it twice pretty lightly with a hammer and the bottom part crumbled away. It is still frozen up as are the other three wheels. The car must have been sitting in water as the bottom of the oil pan is rusted through from outside in. This would explain why the front suspension is so rusty. I don't know what I am going to do with this 48 Ford. I might just hack it apart and sell it piece by piece and crush the rest. I am pretty disgusted with everything right now, plus it doesn't help that I am broke.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in