where to start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

where to start

I'm new to this message board and am about to jump into a project. I have been reading cboys project journal and love the idea of doing something similar in terms of building my own frame and using a donor vehicle. I would like to use the cab of a 50's era truck and chop, section and channel it on a frame that I built and retro fitted many parts from a donor vehicle. My question is where do you start? Should I get the cab first? Should I get the donor vehicle first and if so what consideration goes into choosing the right one? Or should I start with the frame and search a junkyard for the parts I need? Any help would be great or if anyone knows where I can Get a used truck cab from the correct time period.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

you need to sit down and think about what kind of car
or truck you would like to build and go from their
it might be the best way to go

you can look at my p.j i had a 52 chevy truck
then went and got a 53 chevy 210 car
then had to sell the truck to keep the car
im not building my own frame and stuff
it just might be the best thing to do
is to just tank a min and think about what you want
and how much money you want or can spend on the car or truck

but thats just me

buggmann
Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM

picture

I was thumbing through a copy of rebel rodz and this car sceamed sweetness at me. This is the type of thing I would like to do. The short wheel base and radical stance. As far as cost goes, I am budget minded, but at the same time, I know I will have to rely on other peoples skills from time to time which always = $. If I could keep the project under 8 grand, I would be happy. Any body work, metal fab and general wrenching will be done by me (with my brothers help). But it still leaves the question of where to start? I'm guessing I should find a late 40's to early 50's cab first, then round up a drive train and suspension components so I can begin to lay out some sort of base for a frame. [/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	33435  

Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 4

I would get the cab first and then go from there.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoop
I was thumbing through a copy of rebel rodz and this car sceamed sweetness at me. This is the type of thing I would like to do. .......... But it still leaves the question of where to start? I'm guessing I should find a late 40's to early 50's cab first, then round up a drive train and suspension components so I can begin to lay out some sort of base for a frame. [/IMG]
That is the way I would go about it. You will need the body, suspension components and drive train in order to decide what your frame dimensions and shape will be.

I have seen pics of that truck(?? ) before and it is pretty radical, in fact so radical that it is probably not very comfortable on long trips. Maybe if I was 18 again I would be able to drive it more than 20 miles.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Thankyou for the point in the right direction. I am wondering though about drive train and suspension components. I would like to use a donor vehicle to keep costs down and I also like the challenge of it. but what type of donor vehicles should I be looking for? Obviously I dont want a super modern looking front end since it will be exposed. I want a bit of a classic look without the classic price. I saw in cboys journal he used an 81 ford f150 donor. Should I just follow his path since I have great reference material here or are there other types of donors out there that may work better?
Thanks for your input.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine

Hello and welcome to the site......I like your style, and the picture, but honestly with only a $8K budget you can't even touch a car like that....Not trying to rain on your parade...just keeping it real. There are way to many people like yourself that want a Rod, but start out with hugely underfunded intentions. I hope you do decide to start that Rod build, but I would like to see you start on the right foot, with the right budget.
I believe, all projects should start with an honest budget, it does no-one any good to make a bunch of plans only to see them sold off a few years later for lack of funds. As with any project the first start should be with the question of what do I what to build?? You seem to have this one nailed, so on to the next question, which is what can I afford?? You should set to paper, all the categories of a build, the fuel system, Interior, Body, paint, Engine, transmission, Brake System, Cooling System, Sound/.Video System, and so on. Then start filling in all the blanks, of the sub-systems. You can then start your budget, many parts and there prices are easy to locate, other you can estimate or call around for. Next step is to divide the work up into two groups; those things you can do and those things you can not do. The items you can't do will have to be done by others, so start with a average shop rate of $50-65, and estimate or call around for price quotes, then add these items to the estimate. You also have to figure in the appropriate tools and equipment to do the items you do yourself, and these can add up very quickly. Once you start the process it will become very clear that no one can honestly build any Hot Rod, good or bad for $8,000.00, Truth be told, that wouldn't buy 1/4 of one, no matter how basic. The key is to do what you can, when you can do it, this is exactly why most Rods take so long to build. Time and Money, some say they are the same, but all agree they are necessary to have if you want to build anything yourself. Once you get an honest budget, then look at your finances, and ask yourself? How much can I afford to put away each pay period for this hobby??? Take that amount and times it by the number of pay periods in a year. Then take that budget amount, and times it by 2.5, this will give a more realistic final price, and then divide by the annual budget, and you will see how long it takes to build that car, this is if nothing pops up like a recession, loss of job, divorce, unexpected children, or poor health issues. If the long term commitment isn't there...then forget it and spend your money on something else. Good Luck
Old 10-22-2008, 10:55 PM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

hey i got my ""hotrod"" and i'm still way under were
i thought i would be
right now i'm only at about 1500.00
and that is with buying the car
i think the price you have set would be good
you might hit a lot of junk yards to find what you need
and you might have to do a lot of work yourself
but in the end you will have what you want
and if you can keep it under the price you set to
start than you are good and if not well as long as you
love it
its still all good

but again it just me

buggmann
Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

keep scrounging

The best place is to look is in the farm area's. and ask other rodders... old truck parts are the best places to find parts you will need ...you could modify an original frame to Z it or start from scratch with 2 x 3 or 4 188 wall rect tube. sometimes you can move the springs under the axle to start the drop. Check out HAMB web site or kill billet ...those guys build a lot of that style machinery. My son did some trading with an old wrecking yard and picked up a 46 international, 47 ford , 40 chevy pickups traded for a 46 studebaker truck and bought 2 international truck cabs with front clips.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think an inexpensive hotrod can be built and i've seen it done right here on this website. That being said I probably was a bit hasty in plucking my $8000 number out of the air. I am going to make as detailed of a "plan" as I can and all the costs associated with it while at the same time looking for the cab as my starting point. I guess it really doesn't matter what it ends up costing me because I cant shake this idea of building the darn thing, so until I do, I will be searching everywhere I can for the bits and pieces to make this thing a reality for me......While also keeping it on the cheap. At the end of the day this project will be more about gaining experience and having a creative outlet than anything else. Thanks again for everyones input.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in