who makes the better tools - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: who makes the best tools??
craftsman is the way to go 66 35.87%
snap on is better 95 51.63%
mac tools are the best 15 8.15%
husky works better than all of them 3 1.63%
i'm a rich preppy and take my car to the shop so i don't use tools 5 2.72%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 11:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That post was not so much about which tools are the best but instead it is about how to make old tools work better.
You're so right - I'm just a bit denser today then usual

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mac tools by far the best.....

MAC

matthew 6;l9-21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2007, 04:31 PM

Far and away Snap-on is buy far the best quality hand tool you can buy! I personally like the the feel of a good quality tool in my hand and the comfortable peace of mind feeling that top quality tools provide. In answering a previous post on if the tools cost more than your ride, in the 35 plus years I have been buying tools and equipment, the replacement value of them would cost more than my house. We only come this way once so if tools and how to use them are your passion the price of them should not be as important as your enjoyment of using them to repair,create, build, etc. So happy tool using guys and gals!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Best Tools

I have a collection of several brands, Snap-on, Craftsman, Husky, SK,.I prefer Snap-on But then I have a dealer that lives 2 miles from my house.

Last edited by 10asee; 03-29-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Some Punk Kid

I have a grab bag of tools. The company I have the most of is Husky. Nothing to complain about.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:03 AM

Last journal entry: I've Changed My Project

I buy Snap-on for work because he comes to me. I like the quality, but at times the pricing hurts. I do have a mix of different brands that do the job at hand. After 35 years as a mechanic I'm trying to not buy so many tools so I have money for my cars. I'm quite sure that my toolbox at work has a replacement value well over $100,000. As a truck mechanic I have a lot more larger tools than the car mechanics do.
Dave
Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 PM

for me

craftsman is the best lifetime warranty shaped a few tools to get the job done but when it broke took around the corner got a re man tool no problem no ? asked snap-on to high you seen what they have coming out as far as tools now not bad.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:52 PM

When I was doing it professionally I always went snap-on now I go craftsman or s-k heavy on the S-K they have a good warranty and do not get as much hassle when something breaks. Air tools I would always lean towards I.R. My electric tools were varied but went mostly to Snap-on (Black and Decker makes their electric tools in the past do not know about now)
Old 09-23-2007, 03:09 PM

The bottom line is that if you are a professional service tech, then there is and always has been no better hand or power tool than Snap-on. That being said, obviously hobbiests and tinker-ers would enjoy the difference as well............but you have to pay for it. Snap-on has been the #1 tool for professional techs by a large majority of market share since 1920 when they invented the socket.
What other products share the distinction of having the most sales AND the highest price point of their industry. Stanley, which makes tools such as Husky and Mac, closed ALL of their North American Factories a decade ago.
While most other tool companies import MOST of their product line, the core hand and power tools from the Snap-on brand is manufacured here in the U.S.
(Some their electronic items are built in Mexico and the Blue Point from world-wide sources.)
Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 4

I prefer MAC over Snap-On. No hassle with warranty, they feel good, and I do not have as much trouble out of them as I do the Snap-On. I do have some of both and have been turning them for over 40 years.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:03 PM

Just yesterday I helped a neighbor rebuild the engine in his lawn tractor and since it was at his place we used his tools. He had a Craftsman set in one of those fold up plastic cases but this was a rather large set containing 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive socket/ratchets in both metric and inch sizes plus wrenches in both systems. The 1/4" sockets were 6 point but the 3/8" and 1/2" were 12 point and most of the more popular sizes like 9/16", 1/2" and 7/16" were either striped or cracked and were unusable. The 1/4" were all ok and the 1/2" were more striped at the bottom of the socket than cracked but the 3/8" set had several cracked sockets. This is exactly the same as what I saw at the mines when someone attempted to outfit a service truck on the cheap and went to Sears for tools. I know Craftsman has a large following but I honestly can not understand why since the quality of their hand tools is little better than the cheapo stuff from HF. I know that is a strong statement and the Craftsman sockets do look a lot better but when you get into some really tight fasteners those things will crack/strip on you just like the cheapies. I have seen Snap-on, S&K, Blackhawk, etc take abuse that would cause a Craftsman to disintegrate but they would hang right in there so there is a difference. Craftsman overall is certainly not bad for the price but they are far from the best and IMHO are more suited to hobby type work than trying to make a living. Sure they have a good warranty but that don't mean much when you are in the Field in the middle of a job where time is critical and the dang thing breaks.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Wiki Edits: 8

Williams are good tools too
Shane
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
Williams are good tools too
Shane
You bet that are! I have seen Williams hang right in there with the best of them.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Marcel

Last journal entry: Choo-choo town

tools

I like snap-on except for the slick finish which make them hard to hold with oily hand, and having to wait on the truck or chase them down. Down tools don't make a living. I prefer 2 craftsman's to 1 snap-on.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Paul Marion

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe

Tools

I've accumulated myriads of different tools in my collection. Snap On has been the worst mfg. I've ever come across. I've never been able to take any of their tools back. I had one guy say, If I didn't buy them from him , they don't exchange them. I had another tool truck vender tell me my stripped out sockets weren't considered broken. I had another vender ask for individual receipts in order to exchange broken items. I have Snap On screw drivers that have developed a strange shrinking chemical reaction on the handles & they wont replace handles. I have two ratchets that have one tooth broken in each & get stuck in spots , they wont replace them 'cause they aren't considered broken. I have a Snap On DA sander that does more damage than sanding. Apparently you have to rev it up for a while to get it up to speed. Then it's all out or nothing. So I don't use it. They said it worked fine & wouldn't exchange it. Needless to say, most of my broken tools are Snap On (or chinchy Blue point). I remember buying a "overpriced" Snap On digital timing light & it quit functioning after 2 months. They said , I must have dropped it. Funny ..no scratches. I paid 2/3rds the price for them to fix it. I bought a "overpriced" Snap On 1/2" Impact gun . I was laughed at when I tried to break loose lugs with it & it barely makes 500ft/lbs in rev. Esp breaking tracktor trailer lugs, Ingersol Rand has almost 200 more ft/lbs of torque for less than 50% of the price. Buy from manufacturers who cater to their customers & crap on is too costly to be so arrogant.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in