Which and why?/ chargers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Which and why?/ chargers

Well its time to put the girls(my kars) on trickle chargers.I am curious which Trickle charger works the best. i bought a handful of the H/F type years ago. I have one new one left. I ultimatley changed over to schmacher and die hard types. The float type ..H/F ,gave to my sons. Whats the difference between the float and the standard "little black box" kind And i use 2.00 amps and 1.5 amps. What do you reccomend/ thanks for any help you can throw my way. bob s
ps i have 3 schumachers and 2.die hard types the latter being really easy to read with this "fully charged" blue light. 2 kars and 2 bike. great week to you. Were getting colder by the minute in lower Mich .I
can get pictures if needed

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 AM

battery charger

from my understanding and past views, a charged battery will not freeze. with that said, i disconnect my battery and do a full 2 day charge when nite-nite time.. then every month i hit it for 24 hrs just to stay safe.. have never had an issue.. with that said i do put a trickle charger on my mower with snow plow over the winter just to make sure it'll start when i need it.. my zero turn gets put in shed and see's nothing till spring.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill View Post
from my understanding and past views, a charged battery will not freeze. with that said, i disconnect my battery and do a full 2 day charge when nite-nite time.. then every month i hit it for 24 hrs just to stay safe.. have never had an issue.. with that said i do put a trickle charger on my mower with snow plow over the winter just to make sure it'll start when i need it.. my zero turn gets put in shed and see's nothing till spring.
I understand the freezing battery point, the only reason i put these chargers in place.I am asking which Trickle to use ,and whats the difference between the float-( free and new)......and the regular trickle charger.And i totally agree with the lawnmower thing, But have never used a trickle charger in 16 years on my Deere, Never froze.never! I can't explain that one. bob s

Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 AM

I had a cheap one given to me many years ago. I think it outputs somewhere around 100-200 ma, which is more than enough to keep a good battery fully charged. As the battery charge closes in on around 13.2 volts, current flow reduces to whatever is necessary to keep the battery at 13.2 volts. That is also called "float" charge, but it's not some great feature of a charger, it's simple electricity! If you connect two devices and both are at the same voltage, current will not flow. In the real world, the battery will always pull just a little current from the trickle charger, but, again, it's not some magic capability to pay extra for.

"Overcharging" means too much voltage, nothing else. So if your truckle charger's unloaded voltage is only 13-14 volts, you will never have a problem.

Last edited by 55_327; 10-25-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM

I have too many vehicles with too many batteries to maintain...
I have had good luck with A Battery tender Jr. My Yukon has had it hooked up any time It's not being driven (most of the time) for the past 5 years. The Costco battery is still strong and cranks like new.
I have also used the Noco Genius brand with mixed results. I have 2 of them in use now, both warranty replacements for faulty units... and the warranty is tricky, you have to register it on their website to have a warranty.
Also 1 BatteryMinder Plus that is supposed to have some patented battery rejuvination electronics built in.... It has not performed any miracles, but it has worked for over 3 years.
And I had an original Battery tender for 12 years before it quit. not bad.
My understanding is that you need to keep the batteries over 12.8 volts to prevent sulfation of the plates...
On my boat I keep a Noco Genius 750 connected to a light timer with a dial on it, the charger comes on for 4 hours every day, not 24/7.
The Following User Says Thank You to footnbruce For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob2 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55_327 View Post
I had a cheap one given to me many years ago. I think it outputs somewhere around 100-200 ma, which is more than enough to keep a good battery fully charged. As the battery charge closes in on around 13.2 volts, current flow reduces to whatever is necessary to keep the battery at 13.2 volts. That is also called "float" charge, but it's not some great feature of a charger, it's simple electricity! If you connect two devices and both are at the same voltage, current will not flow. In the real world, the battery will always pull just a little current from the trickle charger, but, again, it's not some magic capability to pay extra for.

"Overcharging" means too much voltage, nothing else. So if your truckle charger's unloaded voltage is only 13-14 volts, you will never have a problem.
Thank you much for the explanation i needed bob s
Old 10-25-2016, 04:30 PM

Float chargers have electronic monitors that shut the charge down when the battery is fully charged. A trickle charger will continue to charge until it is shut off manually. If you want to keep a battery charged over a period of months then use a float charger. If you want to run a 12 hour equalizing charge on a battery use the trickle charger and disconnect it when the cycle completes.
If you leave a trickle charger on a battery it will overcharge the battery and cause damage.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:32 PM

I have used a Deltran Battery Tender for years on my lawn tractor. I just hook it up in fall to keep the battery good until spring. The Battery Tender site has a lot of good info on battery charging under technical info that you might want to check out. Battery charger/maintainers are different from chargers only

They have a lot of different Battery Tender models now but for long term storage any of the low amp Battery Tenders should work for you.

I have also used a Shumacher charger/maintainer on a car battery but the battery was dead when I went to use it. I'm not sure it was the chargers fault since the battery was sitting on the charger for over 2 years
Old 10-27-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nim-Rod View Post
I have used a Deltran Battery Tender for years on my lawn tractor. I just hook it up in fall to keep the battery good until spring. The Battery Tender site has a lot of good info on battery charging under technical info that you might want to check out. Battery charger/maintainers are different from chargers only

They have a lot of different Battery Tender models now but for long term storage any of the low amp Battery Tenders should work for you.

I have also used a Shumacher charger/maintainer on a car battery but the battery was dead when I went to use it. I'm not sure it was the chargers fault since the battery was sitting on the charger for over 2 years
yes! i see i have a schumacher low amp trickle charger it says its not charging.Flashing yellow lite keeps coming back on? no matter what i do Unplug unplug ;;plug back in plug back inTreid one of my other trickle chargers No diffrence .This schumacher is a 2010 i believe. Is it worn out ?do you think.All the rest of the 5 chargers are flashing ,that they are charged up . This last one is bad--- or the interstate battery i put in last year is acting up .just don't know! any help on this will be grateful for bob

btw My kars a couple.......... are on trickle charge for more than 2 years.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:43 AM

If the charger is not charging the first thing I do is test the battery with a dvom (digital voltmeter) and see what the voltage is. 12.5 or better is needed to be considered a "good" battery.

If I do get a high voltage reading (12.5-13.2) I put the battery under load for 15 minutes by turning on the headlights or connecting a 12 volt vacuum to take off the "surface charge" then check battery voltage again.

If the battery is below 11.5 volts many chargers will simply not charge. If the battery is over 13 volts it may be shorted/sulfated to the point where it is no good anyway. A load test is needed to see if you have a "good" battery before you blame the charger.
The Following User Says Thank You to footnbruce For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob2 (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTech View Post
Float chargers have electronic monitors that shut the charge down when the battery is fully charged. A trickle charger will continue to charge until it is shut off manually. If you want to keep a battery charged over a period of months then use a float charger. If you want to run a 12 hour equalizing charge on a battery use the trickle charger and disconnect it when the cycle completes.
If you leave a trickle charger on a battery it will overcharge the battery and cause damage.
What is the definition of fully charged? 12.6 volts is the nominal battery voltage (6 cells x 2.1 volts). And then as the charge bleeds off, at what voltage do float chargers turn back on?

Just noticed my cheap charger sits at 13.4 volts when not loaded. Then connected to a battery measuring 12.4 volts, the voltage starts climbing gradually -- towards 13.4 I assume. I'll watch it to see what the voltage does, and even measure current draw a few times.

I will give you this: Anything more than 12.6 volts might be considered overcharging, which may or may not be good for the battery. However, we have to remember that an alternator is constantly trying the charge the battery to 14 volts or more.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Common Lead / acid battery State of Charge/Specific Gravity/Voltage

100%/1.265/12.7v

75%/1.225/12.4v

50%/1.190/12.2v

25%/1.155/12.0v

Discharged/1.120/11.9v
Old 10-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Since I purchased an electronic pulse charger I got rid of all those old fashioned straight chargers. These chargers do more than charge the battery they condition them as well, the micro pulses clean the plates and prevent batteries from becoming sensitive to harsh conditions.

I use it to condition my batteries twice a year on every vehicle, once in the spring and once in the fall. The boat deep cycles get left on the pulse charger for a couple of days and then I just store them until next year.

I bought one when they first came out because I was aware of how they worked from RC toys using nickel cadmium battery packs which form coarse crystals when fast charged constantly which reduces their capacity.

In the last year I've used it to bring back two dead car batteries on used cars I've bought, I tell people as long as there is enough charge left to light the LED on the control panel it can bring it back...might take three to five days to do it but hasn't failed to bring a battery back yet.

I bought my Nautilus battery charger back in the early nineties and haven't bought a battery since, one of the best purchases I ever made actually. I paid $90 for it back then and has obviously paid for itself many times over since and has never let me down. Best part of the charger is I can tell how bad a battery is by how fast it pulses when first connected and how slowly it pulses once its done charging...if it never slows down or pulses continuously after a couple days that usually means its internally shorted and might not come back although it has never failed to recondition any battery I've connected to it.

Don't think they still sell them although they make all kinds of other types geared more toward marine use which seems to be the market that needed the technology most with huge investment in battery banks on most large boats.

Forget those battery boilers and get a pulse charger, you won't look back.

Han Solo
Old 10-28-2016, 09:50 AM

Update on my test: 8 hours later, my battery had charged to 13.02 volts from 12.86 volts, and the current draw dropped a little from 430 ma to 390 ma. So the charger outputs more current than I thought, assuming my clamp-on ammeter is accurate.

In a perfect world, would a charger shut off at ~12.7 and cycle back on at ~12.5? And can a battery actually be damaged when it's continually held at or a little above 13 volts? If that was the case, it seems to me that alternators would not output 14 volts or more.

The guy who gave me the trickle charger I mentioned in a post above has several collector cars. All have the same cheap charger connected to them when they are "hibernating". He told me he's been doing it for many years and some of his batteries are very old. I could be way off base here, but have to wonder about the payback on more expensive chargers with what could be questionable manufacturers' claims.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:29 PM

Most chargers don't shut off until you shut them off. Most chargers will overcharge a battery if left connected. Some chargers have a timer that shuts off after the timer reaches the time set. Trickle chargers are just that. A charger that only produces a certain amount of current/voltage. They are "constant" power devices, like a transformer. When shorted a transformer produces maximum current and minimum voltage. When connected to a battery that is low they produce more current and less voltage. As the battery voltage increases the transformer produces less current. Trickle chargers will continue to charge until disconnected and the voltage can go as high as 14.7 volts, which is damaging the battery. Float chargers use electronic circuits to keep the output voltage down to less than .5 volts per cell over the battery voltage and limit peak voltage to about 13 volts. Some shut off and come back on when the voltage drops and some stay on but at a point where there is no current flow into the battery until the voltage drops below a set voltage.
Most battery chargers are dual range. They are labeled as 5/20 amp or 3/10 amp. These are the trickle and full charge amp outputs at a given voltage. You should NEVER leave a trickle charger running on a battery for long periods of time. When in use put a volt meter on the battery and once it goes above 13.3 volts disconnect it. Let the battery rest for six hours and then check the electrolyte level. Fill to the split ring with distilled water.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in