Winterizing your compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint
Wiki Edits: 11

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,115 Posts
Winterizing your compressor

I put my compressor outside this summer and really love having the extra room and the quite. But now I have a few concerns Like....
keeping the pump warm so the oils viscosity stays the same. maybe using a heat pad ? or a 100 watt light bulb...I built a little pump house so its out of the rain.maybe I should heat it because I also dont want the water in the tanks,pump and lines to freeze...I just replaced the pressure switch last week at 150.00 and lost three days waiting for it and installing it...then 3 days later the motor burned up 400.00 because the netural wire (220v) wiggled loose ...only lost 2 days of work this time. I really dont want any more problems so any advise would be appreciated ...have any of you guys had your compressor outside for a few years? what other problems can I expect...and address...what about the oil should I use an auto oil like 10-30 or something?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

How about bringing the compressor inside in the winter? I can't imagine the bitter cold does it any good. How about heat lamp that warms things up a little before you start off the day. Is your pump house insulated ? That would really help.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:10 AM
hold my beer and watch this!

We had a compressor at work that we drained the lines and tank every night, and had a crankcase heater. Metro Detroit, colder than GA LOL

Old 11-20-2014, 03:57 PM

its usually a nicer around here but last nite it went to 20 degrees and I started worrying about it..My pump house is made of 1/2 foam with vinyl siding over it. Its way to big to get it inside again...I guess I'll put a thermostat and some kind of electric heater inside for the really cold nites just in case ,as long as it stays above 32 it should be alright, does anyone use a different oil for winter or just regular ole compressor oil
Old 11-20-2014, 05:17 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

i'm a neighbor to johnnyg
my compressor is in an unheated, also unheatable, part of my shop and i never worry about the cold weather on my compressor
it's a lot like worrying about your car sitting in the driveway in cold weather, yeah the oil is going to get thick

i mean dbm... if your really passionately attached to you compressor you can snuggle with it or put a blanky on it.
it won't help your compressor, but might make you sleep better
we had a lot of sub zero temps up here last winter and it's already be 12* THIS WEEK

one thing i do have to worry about is my drain; the short nipple out the bottom usually freezes solid
if i don't use the compressor much in sub-freezing weather it will freeze and won't blow out
luckily cold weather usually means low humidity
Old 11-20-2014, 05:48 PM

My compressor is located in an unheated part of my barn. I use 30 weight compressor oil in the summer and 10 weight compressor oil in the winter per recommendation of the dealer who sold me the unit. I live in Western Michigan where it can get quite cold. I've owned the compressor for several years without any problems while following this procedure.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVP View Post
My compressor is located in an unheated part of my barn. I use 30 weight compressor oil in the summer and 10 weight compressor oil in the winter per recommendation of the dealer who sold me the unit. I live in Western Michigan where it can get quite cold. I've owned the compressor for several years without any problems while following this procedure.
Thanks Thats a big help, I wasnt even sure if they made 10w compressor oil. The thing is this isnt a hobby shop and I learned an expensive lesson this past week with the pressure switch and the motor ...its not like having a welder or other equipment break down from poor preventive maintance ,when the compressor goes down the whole shop and anyone working there stops making money...I never worried about antifreeze in my stored car either when I lived in upstate NY weather until the block in my 57 chevy sitting in my garage froze and got a 4" crack and never popped a freeze plug,anti freeze all year round now...this is a serious working compressor and expensive to repair TOO expensive to replace ..heck just lifting the elec motor onto it took two people.
Something I learned when my 57 froze is ,everyone knows when water gets below32* it turns to ice as it does it expands BUT the colder it gets the more it expands ...I think I'll be putting a heating pad under the crankcase anyways just to be sure the oil stays nice and thin..
.Now that I think about it,When my little 10hp IR compressor threw a rod through the case it was in the middle of winter....
Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions
Wiki Edits: 27

pipe wrap.

I bought the electrical strip heater used to wrap around water pipes to keep them from freezing, and it has a led indicator lite to tell it's on. I make sure the lite is on before turning on the circuit breaker. I have it wrapped around the pump. I also have an automatic tank drain valve
Shop EasyHeat 12-ft 84-Watt Pipe Heat Cable at Lowes.com
I have seen cracks in SBC in the lifter valley from freezing, freeze plugs still in place, actually freeze plugs are designed to be able to remove the casting sand not designed for freeze protection.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in