Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Wiring for a new shop?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 07:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Can you do the wiring yourself? Of course you can! Get you some books on electrical, read them from front to back a couple of times. Go to the local supply store and buy the materials that they tell you you need. Then follow the instructions to the letter.

Make sure that you follow the electrical code for your area. There are different requirements depending on where you are. You also may need a permit and inspection when done.

Also check your homeowners insurance. Some policies will have something in there to allow them to deny a claim if the work is done improperly, by someone not qualified, if there is a fire later.

My garage was wired by a NASA engineer. Not generally they type of person that is considered ignorant by any means. I decided it was time to change the fuse box for a breaker box and upgrade the service(65 amp). When I got started, it really shook me up, what he had done. It is amazing that the place hadn't burned down.

I also had the fuse box changed in the house several years ago by a licensed electrician. I could have done it meself, as I have done several before, but didn't have the time. When the inspector came out, he rejected it for several problems. He couldnt' believe that is was done by a "professional".

Check out any professional that you hire, or make certain that you know what you are doing.

Last edited by adtkart; 05-09-2004 at 07:25 AM.