wiring tools~~~~ mines had it. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2016, 05:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

wiring tools~~~~ mines had it.

looking to purchase a new Wren or?// other make---soldering iron , And a small wiring torch for shrink wrap. Any brand names? I see the small torches look the same.But they certainly aren't. OR!! better ideas for this wiring process is welcome .thanks for any good tips great midweek to you. bob s

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 06:28 AM

Wen or Weller soldering gun...

I had one of those red Wens and it worked great for decades.. When it gave up I bought a dual heat Weller.. The Weller gets hotter but the Wen had a better feel..

I prefer a good Scotch black electrical tape to shrink.. If you put it on while the joint is hot it covers better.. Always cut tape with scissors, never pull it apart and stretch it..

http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_sop=1...ldering&_frs=1

http://www.ebay.tv/sch/i.html?_sacat...ing+gun&_frs=1

Last edited by Bonneville462; 08-24-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville462 View Post

I had one of those red Wens and it worked great for decades.. When it gave up I bought a dual heat Weller.. The Weller gets hotter but the Wen had a better feel..

I prefer a good Scotch black electrical tape to shrink.. If you put it on while the joint is hot it covers better.. Always cut tape with scissors, never pull it apart and stretch it..

Yes mines a weller..thought it was a wen. mine works good but the lites stopped working, sorta liked those lites. Far as a torch i had a small cheap torch, but it went bad quickly. I was thinking on a small -quality- one again. I have a heat gun .but you have to be so careful where you lay it down, and pick it up, Doing the wiring joints, Les chance of fire ?i was thinking.but i've been wrong before .Tape is not an answer anymore for me.It "goos" up and gets messy as it ages.

Does anyone know how or who would fix the 2 lites in mine?REALLY i can't remember out of 20 some kars--- if the lite ever meant i was seeing the work any better bob s thanks

Old 08-24-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville462 View Post

Yes i had one of those "bic-Lighter" refill type. junk from the first day. Think a good small lighter "refillable"no more than i use one anymore. Is probably my best source of heating shrink tubing I' v burnt my fingers twice with this heat gun........just no place to lay it down .....close to the work. W/o burning something . does do a better neater job.I agree .
Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Wen or Weller for a gun and Ungar for an iron. I've never seen black plastic tape that didn't unravel and I've been at this a looong time. All that was ever used when I worked at McDonnell Douglas Aircraft in the late 60's early 70's was heat shrink. I have used tape in house wiring, but I always use a wire tie on the final lap of tape to insure that it doesn't unravel.
The Following User Says Thank You to ntfday For This Useful Post:
Rip VW (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:21 AM

I have always had multiple Weller soldering guns - watts for different jobs - and a large electric soldering iron for the really big jobs. I use sealing heat shrink for wires and cables carrying loads especially if they are exposed to weather or corrosive materials. For the smaller wires and signal wires I use the standard shrink tube. I have seen well sealed taping jobs where liquid rubber was applied over the tape but it always looks like it was done under a tree in someone's back yard. You get a good permanent job that looks professional with heat shrink. I use the heat gun to shrink the tube - it is too easy to burn the smaller tubing with a flame.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM

Is there a "small heat gun" being made that would be easier to lay down ??? bob thanks

Old 08-24-2016, 11:26 AM

Try Googling "Master Heat Gun". That's what I have, and it has an adjustable base that keeps the nozzle pointed in a safe direction. Now, they are expensive if purchased new, but I found mine at a flea market for $15 or $20 dollars. It's a professional tool that should last you a lifetime. You can even get heat deflectors for them that are specifically for heat shrink tubing. It's a great tool!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check
Wiki Edits: 26

The good butane ones are great. The nice thing is when you are done you can slide the cover on and not burn anything. I used one of these when I did field service on electronic equipment and the fact I could just slide the cover on and throw it in my tool kit was awesome. They can be adjusted so they work like an iron or a gun.

Chet
The Following User Says Thank You to T-bucket23 For This Useful Post:
bsa_bob2 (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23 View Post
The good butane ones are great. The nice thing is when you are done you can slide the cover on and not burn anything. I used one of these when I did field service on electronic equipment and the fact I could just slide the cover on and throw it in my tool kit was awesome. They can be adjusted so they work like an iron or a gun.

thanks Chet. You don't know what brand you have ..off hand would you Chet? bob s
Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob2 View Post
thanks Chet. You don't know what brand you have ..off hand would you Chet? bob s
The one I use is branded Portasol. it is over 20 years old and it still works great. I know Weller makes them as well and I would think they should be good as well.

Chet
Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntfday View Post
Wen or Weller for a gun and Ungar for an iron. I've never seen black plastic tape that didn't unravel and I've been at this a looong time. All that was ever used when I worked at McDonnell Douglas Aircraft in the late 60's early 70's was heat shrink. I have used tape in house wiring, but I always use a wire tie on the final lap of tape to insure that it doesn't unravel.

When you say iron" you mean the trigger type- or the pencil type -nftday i heard big iron mentioned ..have no idea what a large iron is unless its the -D 550 WELLER trigger type.I have the pencil type. any more help i am grateful til i get it right bob s thank you
Old 08-25-2016, 03:44 PM

When I said I had a big electric iron I am talking about a tip that is over an inch in diameter and three inches long. It has a braided cloth cord and a simple two wire plug. It is similar to the irons we learned to use in metal shop that were heated with a torch except this one uses electricity. You plug it in, wait for it to get hot and use it. I have soldered fitting on fuel tanks with it.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Well...I have decded to buy a "weller."...but have one last question,The one i had........ being way over 40 years old.was a different--higher wattage than the new ones. Mine was ..240-325. watts. These new ones are much less wattage- and the cheapest one is a little feeble appearing. Whats a good wattage, to do the wiring in my street rods. Not much else will it be used for.What would you buy.. the weller, larger D550/OR the real cheap one ??? THANKS for one more reply bob s
Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 PM

That amount of wattage is good for solid core, house type wire, but a little stout for the stranded automotive type wire. I use a 24 watt or so iron for most everything from 14 gauge and smaller. The larger gauge I use a gun or a torch whichever is handier and easier to control depending on the situation. I have found that for bench work these are invaluable though I only have the smaller of the two. Search results for: 'helping hands'

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in