Work Tunes ear protection headphones - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 6,695 Times in 4,305 Posts
Work Tunes ear protection headphones

I forget if I have posted about this thing but damn I love it! I bought my first Worktunes about 10 or 12 years ago. I wore them every single day wearing them out, bought another pair, they were a little better as they had improved them a little. I had been putting up with one speaker not working for quite a while and decided to break down and get another one.

Â*Â*Â*3M™ Digital WorkTunes™ Hearing Protector and AM/FM Stereo Radio, featuring Voice Assist

They changed it quite a bit with a digital dial and so on, they confused me at first and I had a heck of a time, then I figured it out. HOLY CRAP these things are awesome! It saves stations so you just click on the knob and it goes to the next one. It goes from AM to FM with a simple click on another button. It even tells you where you are any time you touch anything, telling you with the speakers "AM" or "FM" and the station "6-80" for 680 AM.

I wouldn't work without them guys, they are OSHA approved ear protection that let's you listen to music or the ball game, how can you beat it!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Earphones.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	262546  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 AM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,006 Posts
That is cool for maybe home use,, I wouldn't recommend it on a job... You couldn't use that where I worked.. They wouldn't allow it..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
bubba1955 (01-01-2016), F1-Interceptor (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
That is cool for maybe home use,, I wouldn't recommend it on a job... You couldn't use that where I worked.. They wouldn't allow it..
Thank God they allow it where I do. I do agree with you that if you are doing something that requires serious thought, don't wear it.

Brian

Old 12-19-2015, 10:49 AM
life is a temporary assignment

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME

Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,006 Posts
The problem is.. If your working jamming out and your about to be killed on the job and EVERYONE is yelling for you to get out the way, And all you hear is your song playing.. BYE/BYE TO LATE...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
bubba1955 (01-01-2016), F1-Interceptor (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
The problem is.. If your working jamming out and your about to be killed on the job and EVERYONE is yelling for you to get out the way, And all you hear is your song playing.. BYE/BYE TO LATE...
Yeah, that too!

Brian
Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 PM

Last journal entry: My 60 Ford Panel Truck Build name : F1-Interceptor

OSHA might allow them but "personal music" in a shop is a cardinal sin. Jammin to your own toons can kill you or others.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM

In different work environments you guys are very right. They are like all "tools" use them with common sense and all is good. In working in your garage at home by yourself, it's not a big deal, there are uses for them. I wear mine mowing the lawn.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
F1-Interceptor (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,266 Posts
Now if they made a set that interfaced with your computer via Bluetooth and you could get Pandora, THAT would be worthwhile!

BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
tech69 (12-24-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Now if they made a set that interfaced with your computer via Bluetooth and you could get Pandora, THAT would be worthwhile!

BB
I have to assume that's coming next. On this one they added a jack to plug in an iPod or what ever. I don't know the lingo I am an old man with a flip phone. But yeah I really like Pandora and that would be awesome.

Brian
Old 12-24-2015, 09:04 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

those are cool and think we're all smart enough to know when we need our ears and when not to. but as said, when everyone is yelling for you to get out of the way and you can't hear it's bye bye. It's a good point. I got our two fabbers at work ear protection cause they don't ever use it. I use those cheap red ear muffs from HF, but will probably upgrade to their noise canceling version.

Recently had an ear infection and the medicine gave me tinnitus and now everything is hyper sensitive. Either that or Iso exposure. So sound is really amplified or sounds louder than it was before, and hammering is unbearable now.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:11 AM

Yep, this time we have on earth is just too damn important to not protect yourself. Glad to hear you are doing the right things concerning this. I can't believe it when I look over at a guy my age in the shop kneeling on the concrete with a die grinder removing welds without any protection on but a pair of work glasses! OMG!

The HF "Noise canceling" head ear protection is pretty decent. I don't know how good high quality ones would work but those seem to be pretty good.

But really, just good old OSHA is a good way to go. You can still hear someone yelling but the sharp sounds of the hammer (that kills me too) are masked.

Yeah, any air tool, a DA, an impact, I don't care what it is, I wear my protection.

Brian
Old 12-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

I use Ear Fuze custom molded. Lightweight, great sound, no fatigue, color coded, $40

For $60 I've had custom ear plugs made and they were really good too but didn't drown out the engine at 8500rpm as well. The material would also get kinda slippery with ear wax and sweat and my helmet would pull out the ear piece.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:33 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep, this time we have on earth is just too damn important to not protect yourself. Glad to hear you are doing the right things concerning this. I can't believe it when I look over at a guy my age in the shop kneeling on the concrete with a die grinder removing welds without any protection on but a pair of work glasses! OMG!

The HF "Noise canceling" head ear protection is pretty decent. I don't know how good high quality ones would work but those seem to be pretty good.

But really, just good old OSHA is a good way to go. You can still hear someone yelling but the sharp sounds of the hammer (that kills me too) are masked.

Yeah, any air tool, a DA, an impact, I don't care what it is, I wear my protection.

Brian
yep, also becoming fond of full face shields instead of glasses/ goggles as well. A good face shield is priceless. I've gotten rashes on my arms from grinding metal onto my arms. The hot metal particles go right thru the thermals!
Old 12-25-2015, 05:36 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm not a lover for safety's sake,of working with music blasting in my ear(s) though will wear hearing protection - now, anyhow. Unfortunately too many die grinders, hammers, saws, US Army ammunition explosions, concerts, loud exhaust systems, etc before they really became popular have left me with a bunch of hearing loss. I finally gave up after my wife started what I thought was mumbling, pried $4000 plus bucks out of my ever dwindling savings account and got a pair of these though not that gaudy color.

Not so sure that those muffs you are showing Brian, wouldn't have contributed to hearing loss like many folks who wear ear buds with their mP3 will be suffering soon.

Oh and those HA's - they weren't covered by ANY insurance in 2015 tho my 2016 non-Obamacare policy would pay 10-15 percent (whoopee!!!!!! )

Dave W
Old 12-25-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I'm not a lover for safety's sake,of working with music blasting in my ear(s) though will wear hearing protection - now, anyhow. Unfortunately too many die grinders, hammers, saws, US Army ammunition explosions, concerts, loud exhaust systems, etc before they really became popular have left me with a bunch of hearing loss. I finally gave up after my wife started what I thought was mumbling, pried $4000 plus bucks out of my ever dwindling savings account and got a pair of these though not that gaudy color.

Not so sure that those muffs you are showing Brian, wouldn't have contributed to hearing loss like many folks who wear ear buds with their mP3 will be suffering soon.

Oh and those HA's - they weren't covered by ANY insurance in 2015 tho my 2016 non-Obamacare policy would pay 10-15 percent (whoopee!!!!!! )

Dave W
I don't think it contributed to my ear issues as I don't "blare" it at all. I keep it pretty low really. But yeah, it could have been louder years ago.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in