Your thoughts please... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans Advertise
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 09:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Your thoughts please...

Just got my old truck out of storage, been in the garage since 1991. 1951 F1 with a late (49-53) Flathead. Put in new plugs, H10 Champions, dropped on a Holley 2V from another flathead I was running last summer, put in new fuel lines, pump, and tank. (Like many of you, we have enough parts in the storage barn to put together a dozen of these trucks... comes in handy!) Here is my issue, the truck turned over and once the bowl filled it fired up and ran within seconds, but she is putting out very little power. Had to use the never-used granny gear to get up the driveway. Is it carb related most likely?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Probably needs tuning. Try cleaning anything that controls timing and re-adjust carb. Give a real good warming and see if that helps at all. It's been in storage a very long time. It will give you fits for a while.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:15 PM

thanks for the reply johnson. i will be moving on to the points next and then wires, doing a compression test also.
is that you running late models in the pic?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Check for obstructed exhaust from animals taking up residence in the exhaust pipe, intake filter housings are another favorite hotel. Try giving your points a shot of electronics cleaner and a wipe with some fine sandpaper too.

— Han Solo
Old 08-01-2003, 06:29 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves
Wiki Edits: 2

A dollar bill between the points works as a very fine points cleaner, I used it on my magneto on my drag bike to keep them clean.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:33 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup

I have some experience with long time storage Flatheads. The gasoline that evaporates in the carb and fuel pump leave a gummy film and I have seen the little check valves in the fuel pump stick and will not pump fuel until they are taken apart and pushed open. You evidently do not have that problem since your bowl is filling. Next thing is the float bowl needle sticks and evidently yours is working, but may not be seating good, letting the fuel continue to flow which causes a flooding or very rich mixture, which you may have. Next the evaporated fuel residue residue stays on the inside of the jets, effectively re-jetting your carb. I always disassemble my carb and clean it thoroughly and even run the proper size wire thru the jets. Another suspect is sluggish valves. I have had them even stick in the full open position. This is when Marvel Mystery OIl really helps out. Remove all your plugs, fill each cyllinder with the oil and let set over nite, then turn the motor over slowly like you are looking for the timing mark (unless you want to spray the oil every where) After doing all this, bet the Flatty will purr like a top, but may consume a little more oil than it did when you last ran it. The rings tend to stick in the grooves but the Marvel Mystery Oil helps that too!!

Trees
Old 08-01-2003, 09:30 PM

thanks to all for the replies!! i'm fairly new to this board but am finding everyone to be very helpful, it is appreciated.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:05 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

You could try hand choking the carb a few times. In case your not familiar with this, it's opening the trottle wide open and choking it before the rpm's get too high. Open the choke (or remove hand from inlet) before the motor dies down too much (The throttle will be wide open and choke closed at the same time). Do this a few times, it may clear the fuel passages in the carb. If you suspect the carb.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:02 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves
Wiki Edits: 2

Please use the MMOil the the gas to help clean the system, it does work.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in