The big day finally came (May 4, 2013)! Time to breathe some life into this iron. Surprisingly the engine fired up with in a few seconds of cranking and ran like a champ.
After a few minutes my helper noticed gasoline pouring from the seam of the fuel pump. Fortunately I had an extra pump on hand. Got the new pump installed after fiddling with the pump pushrod for an eternity and fired it back up.
Now there is a fuel leak at the flared fuel line at the fuel pump. Retighten.
Now there is a fuel leak at the flared fuel line at the carb. Retighten. Still leaks. So we replace with a few stubs at the pump and carb and connect with rubber hose.
Are you kidding me? Still have a small leak at the carb! Leak is small enough that we set a rag under it and continue with break in.
Loud screeching terrible scary noise emits from engine bay. Panic sets in! After some investigation it turns out the power steering pump was way low on fluid. I installed a new steering gear and pump and did my best to pre-prime it by hand. Note to self, there is over a quart in the system now!
My helper notices the transmission is spewing copious amounts of oil on the ground. We ignore this and continue with the break in. Later on I would pull the transmission (again #$*&amp;@! and find that I forgot to install an alignment dowel pin in the bearing midplate).
Due to the transmission issue I didn't get to drive the truck.
Can you imagine the fortune cookie message! I got that dinner the night before the break in!
Let it be forever documented here at hotrodders.com the mileage at the rebuild lest I forget someday.
I saw a lot of this tachometer during break in.