Well I did have to swap out one hinge that was bad, but there was less play in the hinges than in the newer bushings. The final solution was some quality time with the jack and me adding some weight to the body (read me jumping in the doorways... Now I'm not leaning down on the doors.
After some jumping and reattaching the door I took off to fix the bad hinge I went back to filling. This time working the doors and trying to smooth them out. Worked over the welded shut old chrome line with some mud, and a little attention from the hammer to get the welds completely below the level of the door. Just a couple taps each and they where good.