Photo # 1 - But hereâ€™s the problem. This is how the prong looks once it is through that first layer of flat stock. As the shoulders of the clip are forced through the hole, the tips of the prong spread wider and wider apart. Now imagine if that prong had to go through a second hole just 1/16" or 1/8" behind the first. Itâ€™s simply not going to happen. And after beating my head against the wall half the day drying to get the clips to stick...I finally figured it out the clip was causing the problem.
My first reaction was to try a longer clip. So I got the longest available, the 10780's. But the length of the clip made absolutely not difference. The problem is with the design of the clip. The further you push it into the hole, the wider the prong tips spread. And for my situation, thatâ€™s just not going to work.
My next thought was to cave in and try to find some extra long plastic â€œChristmas treeâ€ type clips. But I quickly discarded that idea knowing that with the number of times these panels are going to have to go in and come out before this project is done, Iâ€™d be breaking off about 70 % of those type of clips and Iâ€™d have to rebuild my panels to install new clips.
Photo # 2 - So after going in the house for a coffee break and heading back out to the shop, the potential solution came to me as I walked by my â€˜32 pickup. The interior of that car uses button covered snap studs to help hold the roof panel in place. This is a shot of how the buttons look in the truck.
Photo # 3 - Hereâ€™s a snap stud like the ones I have in the pickup.