More frame work
This week I took the front leaf springs to the spring shop. The spring leaves were chrome plated back in the late 60â€™s. The main leaf is the only painted leaf in the stack. I had the shop break down the spring stacks to see if we could salvage the old chrome. Thanks to the quality of the old chrome work we were able to polish and save them. Their not perfect and since this old U will be a street/race car I can live with a few pits and rust stains. I also had new bushings made for the spring eyes and fabbed up some new U-bolts which will go to the chrome shop.
Today I got back to welding the frame around the mounts and other areas where parts were held in place by the old rivets. Iâ€™m grinding down to bare metal and then using etching and weld through primer to seal it down until I can get a coat of epoxy primer on the whole frame. I also neutralized the acid treated areas and washed the whole thing down with a trisodium phophate cleaner.