Probably the most difficult panel on this car will be the hood. I say that now because I haven't worked on anything else yet...
This one is nas-ty underneath, and although this is intended as just a driver car, I'm not a big fan of cutting my fingers to shreds every time I want to open the hood. So I spent a little time here.
First I used a magic marker to draw an outline where I would cut away the jagged rusty edge. I placed it well up into the healthier metal with the idea that the rust won't come back too fast up here, and it is extremely difficult and pointless to try and weld to metal that is too rusty.
I then used plain masking paper to make patterns for the patches. Using scissors, I spent little time cutting them to shape to fit the areas cut away from the bottom of my hood. The dotted lines on the pattern show where a crease in the metal will be.
I then took this old mangled fender from my junkpile, and traced around the patterns, and transferred the dotted lines too.
Using an air chisel for the long cuts, and doing the smaller cuts with normal hand-held shears, I cut out my patches, and then worked them on the bench vise and anvil to form the shapes. I cut them slightly big, so I can tune up the shape by grinding down the edges. These are super crude, but good enough for this particular car.