The generic column drop that I used for the mock-ups just wasn't cutting it looks-wise. I kinda liked the connecting rod style myself, so that is what I decided to use.
Not any connecting rod would do though, so I picked up an aluminum rod from a Top Fuel engine.
First pic shows the two styles of column drop. No choice in which one to use...
The second photo shows the steering column in place and set at the angle that I wanted. I temporarily supported it with wire and also added cork filler around the column to make up for the space between the column and the rod. The column is 2 1/4" in diameter, and the big end of the rod has an i.d. of 2 1/2". The cork was temporary until I came up with a better filler material.
I knew that I would need to make a preliminary cut through the rod just to get it into place for measurement, so I took an initial cut and lopped off the pin end of the rod.
Third photo shows the first cut through the rod. I don't have a band saw, and I wanted to make a better cut than with a sawzall, so I used my table saw. I put on a real fine tooth carbide blade and made very small successive cuts all the way through the aluminum. Came out very well, nice and square. Plus this was good practice for the final cut. I only had one of these rods and didn't want to cut it too short.