After measuring very carefully and double checking, I made the final cut through the connecting rod as shown in the first photo.
The second photo shows the rod bolted in place on the column. Now I needed to make a bracket that would attach the rod securely to the dash support brace. I originally thought of using a heavy steel door hinge, cut to length. This would give me the swing adjustment that most column drops have. However I decided on just making an angled bracket to match the angle of the cut end of the rod.
The last photo shows the beginning layout for the bracket. In order to bend the steel to the exact angle I needed, I made a saw cut almost all of the way through the bracket, which then bent easily.
Once I got the correct angle I welded the cut back up on both sides and ground it smooth.