Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to put my daughter's '01 Impala up for sale and I would like to have an idea what may be wrong with the trans. When in OD it will shift nice and smooth on the 1-2 and 2-3, but the 3-4 shift is a little iffy once it gets up to operating temp. It feels like it is hunting a little, the RPMs fluctuate about 3-500 for 2-3 seconds before landing in 4th for good. From a stop I can manually shift and it doesn't hunt on the 3-4 shift. I'm thinking that may rule out the converter clutch? Ideas?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If a trans shop says the electronics are working as they should, then maybe:

https://tripleedgeperformance.com/no-4th-gear
That link described exactly what happened to the trans in our old Montana van. That one stuttered once and dropped back to 3rd and never made another attempt at 4th. The trans shop showed me the hub and shaft. So smooth that it looked like it was machined on purpose. The Impy is more of a 'hunting' type of feeling for a couple of seconds before it drops into 4th and stays there. If I back off the throttle long enough to let it find itself it feels ok. At 244k it's probably the clutch pack getting weak. I'm going to assume that, anyway, and set the price accordingly.
It's good to see a post from you again.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.