Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some are modifying their 062 casting vortec heads to use bigger valves.
What's the advantages?

Since the Vortecs already are said to crack easily, will such a modification make them even more prone to crack?

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
from what i have read vortec heads are better with bigger exhaust valves like 1.6. I dont have a flow bench so don't quote me on this. The port velocity on the intake side is so great that the exhaust side is a great restriction and will benefit more from having a larger exhaust valve rather than a larger intake valve. But like u said they are prone to crack and idc who you are or how big of valves you put in them they are still stock heads. After you pay the machine shop to clean them up, mag them, maybe replace some guides, cut the seat for a larger valve, and do a valve job you aren't too far behind a set of these: http://competitionproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RHS12410K1 ..............just my .02

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Vortec heads can be ran with a 2.05" intake and a 1.6" exhaust valve, but the port work needs to be done to use these alves or you will have worse performance than you would with stock valves. A well ported set of Vortecs with stock size valves can put out over 500hp on pump gas though, so they can be plenty capable of supporting the power many people are after. They are not aftermarket heads though and they're are many good options for only a few dollars more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.