Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Is 1/4” of pinion free play acceptable in a standard GM/Dell SBC starter? As in, the pinion will move in and out 1/4” according to starter position or manually manipulating.

Pulled the starter out thinking my spring-pin fix on the solenoid to fork had failed (was hearing some suspect rattling) but that seems fine. I don’t recall if this play was there when starter was originally installed.

Thank you!

·
True Hotrodder
1,141 Posts
I would venture to an auto parts store and pull one off the shelf and check it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up having a local starter shop check it out for me. Certainly was not an appropriate level of play, and the guy made some adjustments for me to fix it up.

Side note, the owner restored my faith in people a bit. Took it in last minute before he was supposed to be gone for the weekend. I was only hoping for a ‘yep’ or ‘nope’, but instead he took the time to pull it apart, fix the issue and fix some of the brushes up. Totally made my day; that level of old school service is hard to find.

·
True Hotrodder
1,141 Posts
And when you have another problem or a friend has a problem with starters - this guy gets your business and recommendation. A few minutes of his time may result in a few new customers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts