Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ran my car at the track and before i start changing things over i like to know if a 12 second car is slow or decent ?

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
It all depends on what your combo is. If you have a mega buck big block car then 12s would be a bit slow. If your on a budget like me and get your highway geared, small block with 14' radials in the 12s thats fast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
79 malibu with a 427 bored out 60 over 561 solid cam, heads and intake ported and matched, 10.5 compression with a 4.11 rear end with a spool and a 350 trans with manual valve body and no spray ....... yet.

anyone wanna see a picture ?

Attachments

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Very nice Malibu! I would think that combo would go at least 11s. My nova has a 3.08 gear 388 sbc solid roller. W/ 195 70r 14 tires it ran the best of [email protected] Im making changes to mine gears tires etc.. I would think yours should run high 11s.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
If that truly is your car then you knew the answer to your question before you asked it. :boxing:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes its mine and yes its pretty fast but i know the guys that run out this way are most in 11s and 10s with there cars but have a lot more money in them to. another question is should i change the rear end to a 430 or even a 456 gear to maybe cut some time off ? or should i just try putting a bigger tire on it first. it has a 28 tire on it now but was set up for a 29 10.5 tire maybe even a 30 tire. i just want to make a good time on the car and atleast lift the tires off the ground a little more lol

·
Flamethrower
339 Posts
Two suggestions.

1. Go see the guys on maliburacing.com
2. Don't just go making changes without making sure you know what they are going to do.

What is your shiftpoint? are you crossing the stripe way beyond your shift point or way before it?

How are you launching?

What is your timing?

What do the plugs look like?

These are all things you have to look at before you just go tearing into every aspect of the car and making it into a 15 second slug.

Make a change, make a pass and evaluate if it was better or worse and decide if there were any outside variables that would influence your ET. Tire spin, late or early shift, and so on. Get to the point where you can repeat the number run after run before you start changing things.

The Malibu guys are crazy, if they know G-bodies (and they do) they understand and know of sources for all the little tricks and tweaks that make a G-body tick.

Just saying you want to go faster isn't enough, you need to form a logical train of thought before you go tweaking things.

BTW, look around at the track and others with cars like yours. 12 seconds is really moving.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe Dyno the engine for diagnostics? You can pick up a few extra bits with some fine tunings (not speaking from experience, but I just saw Horsepower TV).

·
Registered
235 Posts
kardoc said:
79 malibu with a 427 bored out 60 over 561 solid cam, heads and intake ported and matched, 10.5 compression with a 4.11 rear end with a spool and a 350 trans with manual valve body and no spray ....... yet.

anyone wanna see a picture ?

I have half that and I run 12.2 at 110mph. Natural asp

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think you should be able to get it into the 11's but most of the time once you start getting into low 12's the trip from there comes in smaller and smaller increments, launch, shift points, traction, etc...
How's tire spin? Hook up? If you're not getting a good 60 ft time the rest is moot. Is it still pulling at the finish or tapered off flat? More gear sometimes makes you slower if the launch is already good.
Work on improving the 60 ft times first.

·
Flamethrower
339 Posts
Pulling the fronts is not the end of the road. Are you serious about Drag Racing or do you just want to yank the fronts?

What are you launching at? Can you launch harder without tire spin?

What's your shift point?

What are your 60' times?

I have talked to some guys locally and they said that about a 1.5 second 60' the fronts just started to come up, but that only happens in a properly sorted out car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
and they ought to enforce safety rules for faster running cars. that said, 60 foot times are important, and yeap, no doubt tire spin, shift points, and just plain tuning are a good place to strat before ripping the engine out and going crazy for .50 seconds. i assume you ain't john force with multi million dollas of sponsor money.

does your track use traction compond? how much? you heating the tires first? are you using hard street tires? lot's and lots of things to consider before any serious engine work. from, oh, i dunno, a few weeks of experiance, it's often small details that give the greatest gain. don't look for elephants when a donkey will do the job.

patience. detail. think things out. innovate.

i have found 1/10 ths. before by little things like fuel pressure, a cool can, adding a gasket or new accelerator pump to a holley--or rejetting it. had a series of bad runs that was caused by a malfunction of the auto choke once.

i think you are close. keep tweaking.

and----------------run safe!

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
You did not state your MPH....
With that much CID i'd start looking at a mid 3's gear unless you run 1/8mi.

I believe in using the torque your engine produces not reving through it.

Our Turbo Buick's make alot of torque and we run a 3:42 gear with 231cid.

BBC's make alot of torque.. no sense in throwing it away with a high gear.

I'll bet your MPH is low and your engine is out of it's range at the end of the

1/4mi.

Nice looking car! I'll bet the guy's on Malibu site will be able to help.

BTW, The energy you use pulling the tires off the ground is not being used to
make it go forward... think about that awhile before making wheel stands your goal... I just smile when I see a car doing that when everyone else is amazed... I think to myself... he'd drop another few tenths if he's set up that suspension right. :mwink:
~Scott

·
Flamethrower
339 Posts
There is also a difference between standing the car on it's bumper and pulling them 6" and carrying them out to the 60' mark. That's effective weight transfer as opposed to wrong suspension set up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts