Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the back of my '34 jacked up app 2,5ft for 24 hours.
After lower it down again, I noticed a small drip of oil at the floor, coming from the front of the oil pan seal.
It has been leak free for 3 seasons until this.

Engine is a CSB 1st gen, 350 1993, 1pcs rear mail seal.
1 pcs oil pan gasket Fel-Pro OS 34500R.
Added silicone at the corners, as adviced in the instructions.
Tourqued to specs in secuenses.

Advices?
1. The easy way. Tightening the front oil pan fastening bolts app 1/8 round, and se if that helps?
Or
2. The "hard" way. Lowering the pan, changing gasket?
If so: Try another gasket? Add silicone at the humps in addition to the corners, as I have done now?

3. Other ideas?

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Chin drips are common especially with stamped timing covers and more so when they are two or three piece covers. The chin area being not directly clamped it does have some freedom of movement so holding a super tight seal is always problematic. The other issue at this place is the crank seal which is always subject to wear. You need to discover the source as to between the crank or pan to cover seal.

Jacking up the rear probably flooded this area which in operation sees drain back and slung oil off the crank but not generally pool just sitting there.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
Are you sure it didn't come from the timing cover balancer neck seal??

If it doesn't leak under normal circumstances, just when the rear was jacked up and all the oil was up against the front of the pan....why worry about it??
Doesn't leak when running normally as I understand it, as long as you aren't driving down the side of Mt Everest it won't leak?

Sure, give the bolts a tightness check...the gasket should have crush limiters at each hole, right?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies. Useful as always!
I’ll start it and idle for a while to see what’s happen.
The balancer neck seal is only a couple of years old as well. And the timing cover was centered around the balancer neck last time I fastened it. This years season is over here in Norway for now. My thougth was to change the gasket as an easay winter project, but judgeing from your advices, I'll just leave it. for now.
It's just that I hate oil leaks.;)

I'll rather stampe some hood louvers instead!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.